My cousin used my paypal account to receive funds...

Darwin23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My cousin sold something off ebay and ask me if he can use my paypal to receive payments. I agreed and i received $650.00. He's now asking for the money. I wil gladly give it to him, but then i realized i might be liable if he dont send the item to the buyer. What should i do?? am i really liable? i emailed the buyer that i'm just receiving the payments and i'm not the seller of the item. My paypal is connected to my checking' account and i'm afraid that if something crazy happens (buyer files a claim saying that he never received the item) paypal will take the funds off of my checking.

I don't think Paypal can take money out of your checking account, only from your Paypal funds. I think the worst that happens is that your Paypal account goes negative and you can't use it anymore.

Edited to add: btw, I wouldn't have emailed the buyer about you not being the seller... you might prematurely make them nervous about the transaction.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']
Edited to add: btw, I wouldn't have emailed the buyer about you not being the seller... you might prematurely make them nervous about the transaction.[/QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly. just send the item out insured, dc'd and all that good stuff and you're fine

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I don't think Paypal can take money out of your checking account, only from your Paypal funds. I think the worst that happens is that your Paypal account goes negative and you can't use it anymore.

Edited to add: btw, I wouldn't have emailed the buyer about you not being the seller... you might prematurely make them nervous about the transaction.[/QUOTE]
PayPal can actually do some crazy shit. In my only eBay selling experience, I sold WoW to a fraudulent buyer (someone got a hold of a guy's eBay/PayPal; luckily I got a warning from another seller before opening the box and giving him the CD key), and I immediately transferred the money into my bank account, but as soon as the guy filed a claim to get his money back, PayPal ripped it back out of my bank account.

I would at least keep the money in your PayPal account until the transaction is complete. Your cousin can wait on it.

[quote name='levi333']Why do this favor for your cousin if you dont trust him?
I definitely wouldnt if i thought he might not send it.[/QUOTE]

i know i shouldnt have....he's ripped off other family members before. i'm tryin' to be the good family member that's willing to give him a chance. but damn...i didnt know that its a 650 dollar transaction. he didnt mention it, he said he sold his dvd player so i figured the most is 100 dollars. he did sold a dvd player...a Bose home theather!!!

I think the concern is that his cousin will package it like crap or something and it will be lost in the mail or stolen because of that.

Edit: Whoooooooooooooooah I definitely would not have allowed him seeing the above post.

Im willing to bet that if you have a negative paypal account and dont pay it off its going to come back to bite you in the ass. It might not happen soon, but eventually I bet paypal sells the debt to a debt collector and if you don't pay them back it will fuck your credit.

Leave the money in your paypal account, and tell your cousin you'll get it to him just as soon as the buyer lets you know the item's arrived safely. If cuz freaks, just tell him crazy stuff happens in the mail, and you can't afford to have paypal gutting your checking account.

let the buyer know too, that you're holding the payment from him until your cousin mails the item, and ask him to contact you when it arrives (safely.) That way, you're not losing anything if the deal sours, and you've got a paper trail for paypal from the buyer stating the item arrived safely in case he 180s.

Oh yeah- don't do this again. Your cuz can take a damn money order.

Potential for a very bad situation. Money problems can really drive a wedge in a relationship. I see 2 options that would give you peace of mind:

1. Just refund the PayPal payment to the buyer and tell your cousin he has to find another way to get the payment. Touchy doing that though.

2. Insist that your cousin give you the stereo system and you mail it yourself (after testing it out/looking it over.) Deduct the shipping cost from the PayPal.

Of course if he's already mailed it those options are out. (And if he's the type that would steal from family he'd probably lie to you about having sent it...)

DL's suggestion about waiting for confirmation from the buyer is a decent one as well. But there are obvious drawbacks in relying on the buyer to get back to you.

As judyx3 said PayPal will not take the money out of a linked account (I don't think) but for this much money, if your cousin defrauds the guy and your PP goes negative you might find a cop at your door as a next step.

And yeah if I was the buyer and got your e-mail I'd probably have already forwarded it to PayPal and ask them what to do/if they could please reverse my payment.

Ouch. Your best bet is, as stated above, to reject the funds and make your cousin find another way to send/receive or mail the item yourself.

If you do keep the funds, make sure the item is sent out with signature confirmation as it is required by Paypal for items over $250

Damn, I applaud you for giving your cousin a chance, I also want to know what brand of alcohol you're having since I want some too!

If in the case that your account goes into negative, Paypal will send your debt to a collection agency. They will try to collect back the money you owe. Worse that can happen if you do not pay the collection agency is a negative impact on your credit history, or in the worst case, going to court.

Think carefully before you decide to do anything.

[quote name='iflabs']If in the case that your account goes into negative, Paypal will send your debt to a collection agency. They will try to collect back the money you owe. Worse that can happen if you do not pay the collection agency is a negative impact on your credit history, or in the worst case, going to court.

Think carefully before you decide to do anything.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting this topic everybody.

I've been amassing a storage unit of vintage toys (me and my husband collect toys for fun) and we have been wanting to sell off our extra stuff we don't want to ebay. I've just started moving the items out of storage and unboxing them this month. I eventually intend on listing this stuff on ebay in the next month or two once I can finally open and catalogue everything.

The thing is, my sister in law heard from her brother/my husband that we were going to start selling items on ebay. She tried sweet talking my hubby into putting her onto our ebay and paypal account so she can sell some of her stuff too.

No way at all do I want her affiliated with my paypal or ebay account in anyway. She is habitually unemployed and always runs up her credit cards, and is always "needing" handouts of money. Me and hubby got into a discussion about how adding her onto our paypal account would be like handing her a credit card in our name, which I am totally against. I do not want to be paying any money out to this woman, or be involved in or responsible for selling and shipping her stuff.

The point is, I've been wondering if paypal would send your account to a collection agency. This thread answers some of my questions.

bread's done
Back