My Cpu Cant Get Online. Which One Of These Should I Get? Plz Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

xeverex18

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I have a lot of video gaming played on my computer and i want to know which one of these is the better gaming system. I am on a budget of 500$ b/c im in college. I dont understand a lot about the speeds and drivers.

1. best buy
AMD" Sempron " 3000+ Computer with 17" flat- screen monitor. 256MB DDR memory. 80gig hard drive. DVD/CD-RW combo Drive. 299.99 AFTER REBATE

Double your memory and add battery backup - all installed by geek squad. 69S.99 After instant savings.

Id stay away from the celeron's.

Also the p4 looks best out of these but if they all have integrated video, i dont know how much gamin youll be able to do

If you have a budget of $500, anything that says after rebate is probably not going to work for you, because you won't get that money back until almost Xmas.

Here's a question: you say you play video games now? What are you using? Do you have a monitor already? A Case? If you have these things that you can re-use, you can get a good bit more for your money by buying parts instead of a brand new system what will include what you could re-use.

NONE of these are good gaming systems. A good gaming system should have at least the following:
- 512 MB RAM (MINIMUM) / 1024 (Recommended; i.e. Battlefield 2 WILL use it)
- Ati Radeon X800 PRO or Nvidia Geforce 6600 (or Higher) with at least 128MB DEDICATED Video RAM (Shared Video is complete sh1t)
- 80GB SATA hard drive (160GB Recommended) (Battlefield 2 takes up 2.3 GB of space alone!)
- CPU: 3Ghz Pentium 4 or Athlon XP 3000
- (1) 16x PCI Express Slot (used by video card)
- (3) PCI slots available
- DVD-ROM/CD-RW (DVD Burner ain't too much more if you build it yourself
- XP Professional (XP home is for Wordperfect pansies)

Now that the main specs are laid out, bear in mind that you will NOT be able to buy a system spec'd as this for $500 fucking dollars. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Buy what you can afford but don't cut corners because you're a cheapass. A good gaming PC will last you a long while (IF you buy smart from the begining).

[quote name='CappyCobra']NONE of these are good gaming systems. A good gaming system should have at least the following:
- Ati Radeon X800 PRO or Nvidia Geforce 6600 (or Higher) with at least 128MB DEDICATED Video RAM (Shared Video is complete sh1t)
- 80GB SATA hard drive (160GB Recommended) (Battlefield 2 takes up 2.3 GB of space alone!)

Now that the main specs are laid out, bear in mind that you will NOT be able to buy a system spec'd as this for $500 fucking dollars. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Buy what you can afford but don't cut corners because you're a cheapass. A good gaming PC will last you a long while (IF you buy smart from the begining).[/QUOTE]

you can still get decent gaming from comps with specs lower than this...
I know numeours ppl on these boards who play hl2 with a 5200 or 9600
It really depends on what games he wants to play

[quote name='guyver2077']you can still get decent gaming from comps with specs lower than this...
I know numeours ppl on these boards who play hl2 with a 5200 or 9600
It really depends on what games he wants to play[/QUOTE]
Are any of those machines that the OP listed HAVE an ATI or Nvidia based graphics cards? (NO) Do any of them have more than 256 of NON-SHARED memory? (NO). The fact is, is that none of those systems listed came anywhere near recommended specs for today's game.

Also, HL2 (compared with Doom3/BF 2) is a lot more forgiving as it's very scaleable. BF2 would bring any of those systems to thier knees.

3. Dimension 2400 Desktop, Entry Level PC
- Intel Celeron Processor
2.40GHz, 128kb L2 cable, 400 MHz FSB
-Microsoft Windows home edition
- 256MB shared DDR DSRAM
-80GB Hard Drive
- 17" E773 Monitor
- 48x cd burner
-dell a215 speakers
300$

They all suck but seems to be the best one...

i cant use 1000$ just for a cpu you know. My parents just bought a house and they cant pay too much. I am currently using a Crap cpu and my nic card broke down. i would like to make my own PC, But i wouldnt know what to do and where to START. Im kinda scared on remodeling the pc parts on my own. And it is rare to see magazines in stores where they only see you the computer (without screen) Can some1 find me a good deal for a quality pc that dont cost TOO much??? It will be best if it is in a popular store i can go 2. Bestbuy,circuit city,comp usa.

RAM is dirt cheap right now. Don't worry about getting much with your PC. You can add 1Gb yourself for less than $50. Stay away from Celeron. Also, keep in mind tat these "entry level" PCs have little to no room for expansion. What little you save now will be spent later when you have to add external floppy and hard drives. Its true; base PCs (at least the ones from Dell) don't even have floppy drives or the bracket inside to add one. You can get an exponentially better computer in the $600 - $800 range. I'm not saying, "Dude, don't get a Dell." I'm saying, "Dude, don't don't get a 2400 Dimension." Don't get a Compaq.

[quote name='CappyCobra']NONE of these are good gaming systems. A good gaming system should have at least the following:

Now that the main specs are laid out, bear in mind that you will NOT be able to buy a system spec'd as this for $500 fucking dollars. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Buy what you can afford but don't cut corners because you're a cheapass. A good gaming PC will last you a long while (IF you buy smart from the begining).[/QUOTE]

XP Pro is not needed. XP Home is just as good the only thing you will not have is the ability to share individual files. Sharing is controled by folders rather than on a per file basis.

I was at walmart today and noticed an e-machines. It was 3000+ processor 120 gb hard drive and 512 mb and also had a dvd burner and 17 flat screen monitor. It was 597.00 (no rebates). Not sure on the video card or type of processor.

[quote name='CappyCobra']Buy what you can afford but don't cut corners because you're a cheapass. A good gaming PC will last you a long while (IF you buy smart from the begining).[/QUOTE]
This be sage advice.

You will be very hard pressed to build a gaming computer on a $500 budget. It is darn near impossible to do so when shopping for a pre built.

When you say you do a lot of gaming on your pc I wonder how and what? Reason being is if any of these are considered upgrades for you, I find it hard to imagine you do the kind of serious intense gaming we all are trying to build/buy for.

If you want to run something light like Sims,some RTS,stuff like that, then yeah, you can get away with $500. If you have any intentions of playing the biggies, Doom 3, HL2, Farcry, and certainly anything in the future, you need to be realistic and up that budget.

The best I can suggest is $700 minimum and you MUST build it yourself. Its ok if you dont know how to now, we all werent born knowing these things afterall. You need to do some research, teach yourself, and while doing so deal shop at fatwallet, cag, slickdeals, etc. to find the best prices you can on each and every item. Also, you need to forgo anything thats a luxury like wireless keyboards, mice, DVD recorders, etc. (these can be purchased later if/when you find the money)

Its not easy finding an off the shelf machine that can even meet the minimums on the side of the newer games boxes for less than $500. And we all know the minimums are usually so low that its better to save up for a better machine and play it later than ruin your experence now.

[quote name='Rich']All 4 of those are ass.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
All of them have 256 MB of ram, integrated, and crappy CPU (the Pentium 4 is better than the others but I hate Intel. You get more for your money with an AMD64 chips since they're generally cheaper, quieter, and cooler)
$500 is too tight of a budget if you want a flat screen display.
I would abandon the LCD screen and go for a CRT screen for 2 reasons :it is cheaper and better for gaming (faster refresh rates).

Good Luck.

He wanted an LCD too in the $500 price?!!! :shock:

Serious, you have a limited budget and therefore need to make some hard choices. If I were in your shoes I would sink the bulk of the cash in the following:

RAM
Video Card
Processor
Mobo

Everything else you need to get the lowest of the low.

Cheap crappy case
Used 19" CRT (lots of good ones around now that people love LCD)
CD Rom (DVD Rom only if you cant score a CD cheap cheap)
Keyboard,mouse,etc etc etc.

Basically you need to emphesis the parts that have a large bearing on the gaming fuctionality of the PC. Everything else MUST be sacraficed to achieve this goal unless you come up with more money.

ok do you know any POPULAR places that i can buy a good cpu without a monitor? And also the games i play are like gunbound,CS,Starcraft,guildwars......

[quote name='CappyCobra']Now that the main specs are laid out, bear in mind that you will NOT be able to buy a system spec'd as this for $500 fucking dollars. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Buy what you can afford but don't cut corners because you're a cheapass. A good gaming PC will last you a long while (IF you buy smart from the begining).[/QUOTE]

You certainly can get NEARLY this system for $500..

[quote name='Indiana']XP Pro is not needed. XP Home is just as good the only thing you will not have is the ability to share individual files. Sharing is controled by folders rather than on a per file basis.[/QUOTE]

That's not QUITE true. XP also has broader networking options, support for multiple processors, and added security benefits. It's not just $50 more for file sharing.

[quote name='xeverex18']SORRY IM A CHEAP ASS. BUT.....[/QUOTE]

Well I checked out cyberpower.com and built you a decent gaming rig for $600. Can you spare the extra $100? (Mainly for the graphics card):

ATX MEDIUM TOWER CASE 350 WATT (in black, looks better)
(754-pin) AMD ATHLON64 2800+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
(754-pin Socket) ASUS K8N nForce3 250 Chipset AGP8X w/LAN,USB2, &Audio
Corsair Value 512 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY
AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
80GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
NVIDIA Geforce 6200 256MB 8x AGP w/ TVO, & DVI
COMBO DRIVE (16X DVD-ROM & 52x32x52 CD-RW)
INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer
1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE
Microsoft Optical Mouse and Keyboard
Basic Speakers
Microsoft Windows XP Home with Service Pack 1

Windows XP cost $85.
The graphics card cost $90.

Both can be bought separately for cheaper. In fact all of these components can be bought separately cheaper. Plus you are paying for shipping as well.. so throw on another $65.

You really can't buy a decent gaming PC for any less :p Unless you go OEM like HP or Gateway, but I would NEVER do that (not unless I was buying a laptop). Well, good luck to you!

If your into rebates, and you don't mind fiddling with PC insides (upgrading the video card & ram), you might want to consider this system if you have a CompUSA around.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?&ref=cj&pfp=cj&product_code=320322

It's $400 with $200 in mail in rebates (The forms are not coming up at the moment so I would check in store for the rebates)

Go to www.newegg.com and get these componets:
$108
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145113
$46.38
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820227037
And get this from Compusa as well:
$70 (AR)
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=319515&pfp=BROWSE

If he didn't know what a P4 was he isn't goig to be building a computer anytime soon... So stop suggesting it.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']You really can't buy a decent gaming PC for any less :p Unless you go OEM like HP or Gateway, but I would NEVER do that (not unless I was buying a laptop). Well, good luck to you![/QUOTE]

Oh really? Well I guess I need to box my Dell up and send it back.

Processor Pentium® 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3GHz, 800 FSB)
S630B
[221-8106]

Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x256M)
512M5
[311-3976]

Keyboard Dell Quietkey® Keyboard
QK
[310-1582]

Monitor FREE! 19 in E193FP Flat Panel Display
19FPINS
[463-6334]

Video Card 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE
X300SE
[320-3934]

Total was $600. sold the LCD for $275, card for $50. Gonna buy a 6600 GT and another gig of RAM in a few days.

So, P4 3.0,6600GT,1.5gb ram, all for $500.

I game ok with it. :D

[quote name='xeverex18']question - is it 2 drivers?[/QUOTE]
It's one drive for the CD-ROM/CD Burner/DVD Drive.

[quote name='xeverex18']...what else do i need to buy if i bought the cpu..[/QUOTE]
You would need to buy the video card and RAM I listed in the previous posts I made. Plus a monitor (but I believe you said you had one already.)

[quote name='xeverex18']..if i bought the cpu is it 300 or 250 after i save 50$[/QUOTE]

It's $300 After Instant Rebates with free shipping.

[quote name='xeverex18']I have a lot of video gaming played on my computer and i want to know which one of these is the better gaming system. I am on a budget of 500$ b/c im in college. I dont understand a lot about the speeds and drivers.

5. HP pavilion a 1010y Desktop PC
Intel Pentium 4 Processor (2.93GHz)
-Micrososft windows XP home edition
-256MB of memory
-40GB SATA Hard Drive
-48X CD-ROM Drive
-Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
-HP v75c 17" CRT Monitor
399$

SORRY IM A CHEAP ASS. BUT.....[/QUOTE]

Go with number 5. The P4. Celeron is shit and so are Sempron processors.

[quote name='xeverex18']isnt there a video card in all cpus[/QUOTE]
Yes, a video card is in every computer, otherwise you wouldn't even be seeing anything right now.

bread's done
Back