My fat PS3 Burned out again...now what?

Mimeblade

CAGiversary!
Well, it would technically be the 3rd time it's been repaired due to Overheat (Red Blinking Light of Death), I even bought a new fan for it a while ago...I'm tired of spending money on this thing...

I think it's time to get a better console...but I dunno what to do with my old one or what would be a good price to pay?

I want something that's gonna last, but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

My PS2 and PSP have lasted longer than this thing. :(

[quote name='Mimeblade']Well, it would technically be the 3rd time it's been repaired due to Overheat (Red Blinking Light of Death), I even bought a new fan for it a while ago...I'm tired of spending money on this thing...

I think it's time to get a better console...but I dunno what to do with my old one or what would be a good price to pay?

I want something that's gonna last, but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

My PS2 and PSP have lasted longer than this thing. :([/QUOTE]

Of course they have. The more complex the machines get, the hotter they run, and they quicker they die. That is true of anything. Also, the more complex it is, the more things that can fail. Why do you think most NES's and 2600s still work, but the current gen has a five-year (at best) life span? Don't get me wrong, all 3 current gen systems die way more than they should, but you can't expect a Ferrari to last as long as a Gremlin. ... Oh wait, that's the Sony LAPTOPS that explode, not the gaming systems. Bad example. (only slightly kidding)

If the only problem is the mobo I would part out the system and list them on eBay. I've had success selling my fat ylod ps3 for about $150 after fees, of course how much you make may also depend on the condition of your parts. Fyi, the blu-ray drive is still worth quite a bit.

Yup and good advice on waiting til after E3 to buy a console in case there is a price drop. Also if you don't mind used, there are ps3 consoles listed on amazon warehouse deals from time to time. Some of the holiday bundles are really nice.

Ironically, both my fat and slim 360 models never gave me any problems.

The first slim PS3 I purchased on the other hand... gave me the YLOD in less than a hour and I had to exchange it for another one.

So yeah... ;)

As another CAG mentioned, the smartest thing to do is wait a few more days for any E3 announcements. Hopefully Sony will announce a price drop or at least a bundle.

[quote name='antlp89']Ironically, both my fat and slim 360 models never gave me any problems.

The first slim PS3 I purchased on the other hand... gave me the YLOD in less than a hour and I had to exchange it for another one.

So yeah... ;)
[/QUOTE]

And I've been through about 4 or 5 360s and my BC launch PS3 is running like a champ.

So yeah... ;)

[quote name='mietha']but you can't expect a Ferrari to last as long as a Gremlin.[/QUOTE]

Gremlin is a bad exampled. A lot of them were made with a very crappy blend of recycled steel. It happened quite a bit in the late 70's with economy cars, especially AMC it seems.

But on topic... I messed with some RROD 360's a few times. Eventually you have to give up on the unit. I saved up and shelled out for a new one.

[quote name='bludd']what type of repairs have you done on it? reflow or reball?[/QUOTE]

I sent it to the company Gophermods LLC to get reflowed/fan replaced (fan replaced the first time, reflowed twice)...that's all that's been done.

I don't know what you mean by reball, they would've told me if that's what it needed.

[quote name='Vader582']And I've been through about 4 or 5 360s and my BC launch PS3 is running like a champ.

So yeah... ;)[/QUOTE]

Same. Went through 3 360s and original PS3 runs fine.

[quote name='Mimeblade']I sent it to the company Gophermods LLC to get reflowed/fan replaced (fan replaced the first time, reflowed twice)...that's all that's been done.

I don't know what you mean by reball, they would've told me if that's what it needed.[/QUOTE]
Reballing means to completely replace the all solder on the board. After 2 reflows, I wouldn't bet on it being simple. The board is probably slightly warped at this point.

bread's done
Back