My Find Of The Year!

MarkMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
This is definately my find of the YEAR.

Well it's a long story...

I got a Sega Astro City 29 in wonderful condition for a mere $23.00 USD.

A friend of me linked me to the cabinet on Craig's List in my area.(Huge thanks to my homie Ace R. since he made all this possible).

Sure enough I emailed the seller and called them up. They just wanted to get rid of it. To make sure it wasn't a typo I asked again about the price, they said "$20."

So I go over there to inspect the cabinet. It's in beautiful condition. The buttons didn't work but that's because the wiring became unplugged, easy fix. And the coin door was missing(easily replaceable). Street Fighter II: World Warrior was already in the machine, and I didn't hesitate to buy it.

Turns out it was a lady and her son that just wanted to get rid of it. It was given to them by their neighbor awhile ago. It's an Astro City 29 cabinet with a Blast City panel. Pretty much brand new Sanwa buttons/stick. No burn in on the monitor at all. No signs of wear on the speakers. The lady told me that her son was going to keep the money from the sales, so when I offerred him $23 bucks his face lit up with the biggest smile his fat face could muster... he gladly accepted since he only wanted $20. Badabing badaboom. Oh yea it looks like this:

160930840_49baf7cda9_o.jpg

I have 2 arcade cabinets now.

This one and a dedicated Tekken Tag Tournament machine. Now I only need 1 more cabinet(Sega New Versus City) to go so I can complete my 'ideal' collection.

You paid an extra $3 bucks! And you call yourself a CAG. :)

That's an awesome score (even though you started throwing all kinds of Arcade mumbo jumbo out there that I had no idea what you were talking about).

Nice!

I just got a Neo conversion cab for $50 from CL myself, but your cab is in much nicer shape than mine. Whoever did the conversion job on mine was pretty sloppy.

I'm quite jealous. How long was the listing up before you emailed them?

[quote name='shipwreck']

That's an awesome score (even though you started throwing all kinds of Arcade mumbo jumbo out there that I had no idea what you were talking about).[/QUOTE]

it's in crazy good condition and the joystick parts are some of the best possible...

once again, that is the best find I've seen on this site yet(as far things I would want go.) Enjoy markman!

That is an EXCELLENT find. I'd gut it though and MAME it if I were you. That would make an awesome fighter's cab and I'm pretty sure SFII wasn't the original game in there so no one would think you are destroying something that should be preserved...

A good friend of mine beat your deal, methinks. Found a seller who had a Neo Geo standup arcade system with Metal Slug 1-6 boards.. $150, out the door.

I love playing that machine at his house.

[quote name='jer7583']A good friend of mine beat your deal, methinks. Found a seller who had a Neo Geo standup arcade system with Metal Slug 1-6 boards.. $150, out the door.

I love playing that machine at his house.[/quote]

Holy shit that's awesome.

These machines usually go anywhere between 400-600 USD. And SF II: WW can range from about $20 up depending on the seller.

All in all, I'm glad, Japanese cabinets are regarded as the best type of arcade machines. Being an owner of both US standup and JPN sitdown I can definately say looks wise/comfort goes to JPN.

Oh wow! You were the one that got it, I emailed that person and they said I was about an hour too late. Congrats on the pickup anyway! I'm glad a Fighting Game dedicated CAG got it rather than some douchebag looking to turn it around for a profit.

[quote name='FFMooglestar']Oh wow! You were the one that got it, I emailed that person and they said I was about an hour too late. Congrats on the pickup anyway! I'm glad a Fighting Game dedicated CAG got it rather than some douchebag looking to turn it around for a profit.[/QUOTE]

ie. Fatwallet

[quote name='MarkMan']These machines usually go anywhere between 400-600 USD. And SF II: WW can range from about $20 up depending on the seller.

All in all, I'm glad, Japanese cabinets are regarded as the best type of arcade machines. Being an owner of both US standup and JPN sitdown I can definately say looks wise/comfort goes to JPN.[/QUOTE]
So, you spent $20 on a $200 machine?

[quote name='MarkMan']^^^ I don't get where you get that idea from. Try finding a Sega Astro City for 200 bucks lol.[/QUOTE]
Must have misread you then.

I was thinking MAME, but I'd much rather get SSF2X CPS-2 or put my Tekken Tag board in it.

I'm reserving the MAME powers for a Sega Versus City cabinet. :)

Ha, the cabinet reminds of what a local arcade has here. (Planet Zero). Hell, could be the same machine.

Anyways, that's a mighty find, bask in the glory! Enjoy. :applause:

[quote name='Supercake']Ha, the cabinet reminds of what a local arcade has here. (Planet Zero). Hell, could be the same machine.

Anyways, that's a mighty find, bask in the glory! Enjoy. :applause:[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's the same type of cabinet. The Tekken 5: DR scene is pretty strong in Houston, if you know any of the Tekken players there, tell em' MarkMan sends his regards. :)

----

Darren: Thx. :)

SD Reppin!

[quote name='happyorangeman']Nice Find, It would be great to find something like that in the NJ area. I can never find a decent cabinet.[/quote]

I agree - you'd have to beat me too it. I'm building my own right now but I'd love one of those Candy Cabs...

How goes your cab javeryh? Once I got the MAME running on mine and the arcade controls the way I wanted them I kinda forgot about building the cabinet part... Whoops. It's been a solid year or so since I worked on cab designs.
-G

[quote name='simplygriff']How goes your cab javeryh? Once I got the MAME running on mine and the arcade controls the way I wanted them I kinda forgot about building the cabinet part... Whoops. It's been a solid year or so since I worked on cab designs.
-G[/quote]

It's going slow but I'm almost finished. I lost my digital camera so I haven't been able to take new pictures (I found it though and will update this weekend!). All I have left is the monitor installation and installing the computer (I also have to actually buy the computer too - I'm completely lost when it comes to that). There is also the matter of applying artwork to the table top but that shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Everything else is done and the control panels are all wired up. I was actually able to play some Ms. Pac-man using a real joystick and my laptop - so cool!

Tomorrow I'm getting help installing the monitor - it's too heavy for just myself and I have to make sure it is lined up perfectly. It doesn't seem like a lot but I'm sure once I start up it will take the better part of the weekend to finish... I already have cab #2 designed and I'm ready to start!!!

bread's done
Back