My first attempt at PC gaming, are these good starting specs

S

starmask2k3

This will be my first attempt ever at getting into PC gaming

Processor Type:Intel Core i7
Processor Speed:2300
Processor Configuration:Quad Core
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
Hard Drive Capacity:2TB 5400RPM Dual Hard Drive (1TB x 2)
Memory (RAM): 16000
Primary Drive:Blu-ray player w/DVD+-RW DL
RAM:16GB
Graphics card:1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6850M Graphics [HDMI]

BASIC FEATURES

2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2820QM (2.3 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz
16GB 1333MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm, 2x8GB) -16GB Max
2TB 5400RPM Dual Hard Drive (1TB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Blu-ray player w/ SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support (Slot Load)
1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6850M Graphics [HDMI]
Backlit Keyboard with numeric keypad
File sharing with iPAQs and cameras via 5-in-1 digital media card reader
HP TrueVision HD Webcam and mic
Intel 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R) with Wireless Display Support
Intel Wireless Display enables you to project personal content, online TV shows, movies, videos, and more, on your TV
SS USB 3.0 (SuperSpeed)
SuperSpeed — New higher signaling rate of 5Gbps (625MB/sec), 10 times faster than regular USB 2.0
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (64-bit)
Win 7 Pro and Ultimate supports Windows XP mode if your configuration meets certain hardware requirements
17.3" diagonal Full HD HP 3D Ultra BrightView Infinity LED Display (1920x1080)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ENVY-17-...22991245?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item53eae2658d

Many thanks!

That seems to be a decent rig but what type of games you plan to play is the real question?

You ever consider building your own Gaming PC? I used this site for mine:

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/budget-gaming-pc-december-2011/

Came in around $500. You could get a new gaming PC, Monitor, AND laptop for less than the laptop you have listed there on ebay. I've tried gaming on Laptops and I find they just tend to run hot no matter the brand or design, so I gave up on that and prefer to have a dedicated gaming desktop and use the laptop for work, casual internet, and casual gaming. Just my two cents.

Very expensive laptop. Not worth the price in my opinion. Should be able to get something of comparable quality for around 1200.

High end for a laptop, but as some state, a desktop would cost about half of that and you could upgrade it. If you are set on a laptop all the specs are pretty good, the Video card and HD are the weak links.. but both are more then good enough. 5400 drive in a Laptop is ok, as said its slow, but quite common for laptops. The video card is fine for a laptop but slighlty lower then a High end desktop would have.

laptops are bad for one reason, no upgrading down the line, its good for about 6 months and something better comes out and you are stuck with it. Desktops can be upgraded for a few years (most of the time) and you can keep top of the line. If you are stuck on laptop, its ok spec wise.. PRICE is up to you, my only real complaint is the 90 warrenty.. for that kind of money I would need a YEAR at least.

You could get a great ASUS laptop under a grand refurbished and sometimes even brand new. I've seen the G53 and G73/G74 series go that low and would say they're pretty good. Alternatively you could custom order one just under a thousand with the same video card and CPU. Malibal has some for decent prices and probably other places (haven't looked into this too much so I don't know who's laptops are a better deal overall).

The stats on that laptop blow mine out of the water and I've had no problem playing modern games on mine. Unless you really want 3d there is no reason to get that laptop.
If you are looking to spend over $1000 I'd get something that has a solid state drive.
If you are just looking for something to play games I'd go with the DV6 quad core i7 with the radeaon hd 6770m or something similar.
If you don't care about having a quad core or want to spend under $700 then just get a dual core with the best video card possible. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

bread's done
Back