My Fitness Coach

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
This game comes out next week, and I've looked ALL over and could not find any info on this game at all. Well, some.

It's yet another addition to the "My __ Coach" series, and it's for Wii. I'm going to imagine that this is the Wii version to "My Weight Loss Coach", which I never played.

Here is the only info I can find on this game:

* Personal virtual trainer demonstrates moves, gives advice, and provides motivation
* Access almost 500 exercises for flexibility, cardio fitness, strength training and more
* Personalized goals let you chose length and frequency of program on a calendar
* Customize your environment and pick your favorite type of workout music
* Chart your progress with graphs over an extended period of time

Live a Healthier Lifestyle
My Fitness Coach begins by evaluating your current fitness level, and helping you set your fitness goal. Whether you strive for weight loss, core body strength, increased flexibility or something else, the Wii's unique interactivity will get you there. A virtual personal trainer named Maya will be on hand to not only give you valuable advice to help you exercise right, but will provide pep talks to help keep you motivated every step of the way. There are even graphical charting displays that allow you to watch yourself making progress as you go.

Enjoy Your Exercise Experience
With My Fitness Coach you can customize your experience by choosing your own exercise environment, and picking your favorite type of workout music. There are eight different environments to choose from, and seven different types of music, such as Hip Hop, 80's, Latin and Dance to name a few. There is even a Meditation Garden feature where you will be guided through stretching and yoga techniques to help keep you limber while you gain strength.

Nearly 500 Workouts Provide Loads of Fun
My Fitness Coach features almost 500 unique exercises to ensure that no two workouts will ever be quite the same. Whether you are in strength training for your upper body or lower body, or are just burning a few extra calories, by choosing your own workout calendar, length of program, and frequency of use you will achieve your goals at the pace that is right for you.

If this is true, the "500 exercises" blows Wii Fit away.
The one thing I am almost certain about: It does NOT use the balance board. :dunce:

Why?

That crappy looking Jillian Michaels game did, why not this?

511kz4CSkzL._SS400_.jpg

This picture alone makes it def look more involved then Wii Fit. I'll probably get flamed and maybe no one else cares; but these "weight loss video games" are kinda interesting. I would not pick up Jillian's shit, but this def intrigues me.

The price point IS where all Wii games SHOULD be: $29.99, and it's $27.99 at Amazon now.

So anyone else interested in this? $30 seems to be a fair price..I might not get it NEXT week..but I may want this before January.

Anyone who is reading this, did you ever try My Weight Loss Coach? Opinions on that?

Personally, I think the EA offering coming early next year looks like it will be way better, plus it supports the balance board.

What's this? I never heard of that. I only know of this (which I found out recently) and Jillian's game.

Can you link me to something, please? :whistle2:s

Hmm.. That's neat, I'll def keep my eye out on that.

Still interested in this game, though :)
Plus one article said "Spring 2009" so that can be like, May! :(

::continues conversation with self::

Well, apparently, this is an updated version of the PC/PS2/Xbox game "Yourself! Fitness". It apparently has a strong fan base and a lot of people have nothing but good things to say about that game. I am def interested in that EA Sports Active also, but this is a $30 (but of course, will somehow get for less :cool:) that will be neat for awhile. With over 500 exercises, it already offers more then Wii Fit and EA Sports Active combined.

We'll see, though. Or at least I will.. :lol:

I really like these kinda of... games? because they seem really cool and useful. I'd get them on my DS lite, but at $30 it's kinda insane.

Yourself! Fitness was pretty good - I messed around with it on the PC a little bit. If you have free weights it can give you training to do with those too.

Y! Fitness was decent - you were able to put together long-(er) workouts than Wii Fit, so the biggest problem I had with Wii Fit (you're can't "put a workout together," so you're constantly standing still, fooling around with the wiimote trying to select your next yoga pose, and cooling your body down all at the same time) should be missing here.

For $30, you may be happy with all the options it offers - but the music will make you want to fuck a woman, lilboo. It's awful public domain lite dance/house music that your mother would listen to and enjoy.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I really like these kinda of... games? because they seem really cool and useful. I'd get them on my DS lite, but at $30 it's kinda insane.[/QUOTE]

Well I think these "games" are better off being called software. There IS a "My Weight Loss Coach" for the DS and it comes with a pedometer that's inserted in the GBA slot to upload your progress..and that's $40.

Wii Fit is $90. It's either a $50 game with a $40 peripheral, or a $$10 game with an $80 peripheral. I think that Jillian Michael's game was $40. :whistle2:k

I think $30 is a fair starting price at the very least.

[quote name='tsmvengy']Yourself! Fitness was pretty good - I messed around with it on the PC a little bit. If you have free weights it can give you training to do with those too.[/QUOTE]

I do have free weights! Can you provide anymore info on this? What other accessories can you use with this?

[quote name='mykevermin']Y! Fitness was decent - you were able to put together long-(er) workouts than Wii Fit, so the biggest problem I had with Wii Fit (you're can't "put a workout together," so you're constantly standing still, fooling around with the wiimote trying to select your next yoga pose, and cooling your body down all at the same time) should be missing here.

For $30, you may be happy with all the options it offers - but the music will make you want to fuck a woman, lilboo. It's awful public domain lite dance/house music that your mother would listen to and enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! I enjoyed Wii Fit but there was too much "in-between" time. It's def more of a relaxing game or better off used for the yoga.

:rofl: Why would the music make me wanna fuck a woman?! Dance/House music is usually found at my kinda clubs! :cool:

:rofl: Oh. :(

It's a shame they didn't utilize the Balance Board simply even just to track your weight.
Or give you the ability to play your own MP3s via SD cards.

There's potential in ALL these Wii games (and 'software')..but it's never used :(

[quote name='lilboo']I do have free weights! Can you provide anymore info on this? What other accessories can you use with this?[/QUOTE]

41OSqPwDQPL._SS400_.jpg

From Amazon. I remember when you used the software for the first time she asked you if you had:

Heart Monitor
Swiss Ball
Step Bench
Hand Weights

I don't have any of those at home so I don't know what she did with them.

Step bench? :whistle2:s
Isn't that a "stepper".. ya know, that big ass wii balance board ;) they use in Step Aerobics?

If so, I DO have that TOO!.. (over my parents house.. :wall:)
A heart rate monitor and a balance ball I do not.

I wonder how many exercises get eliminated by not having certain things? :whistle2:k

I'll def be getting this game sometime this month.. I hope at least someone else does too :lol:

Now that I've seen a little more information, it looks pretty good. At least worth about $30. Can't you weigh in through the Wii Fit channel? I might reinstall that for weight tracking, and start working out with this one. I probably won't get it until after Christmas, though. We go to visit my wife's parents for a week at Christmas, and my routine gets thrown off. Whenever my routine gets thrown off, I can never get back into working out on a regular basis. So this year, I'm not even going to try to start exercising regularly before that.

Yeah! I seen that too.
Not surprised, but kinda disappointed in that.

Is this a straight up direct port of Yourself! Fitness? Did they add anything new to this? If not, why didn't they just call this Yourself! Fitness .. for Wii? :whistle2:s

Usually the My ____ Coach games are similiar in how they look & feel. I wonder if they'll use the My __ Coach layouts then?

Short reccomendation:
Alright Liboo, get it. I've only done one workout this morning, but this looks to have high potential.

Long explanation:
I started this up today, and so far, I'm impressed. There's a video trailer on the Nintendo Channel if you're interested, but it will only give you a little glimpse of what the game's about.

I reinstalled the Wii Fit channel to handle weigh-ins before I started My Fitness Coach, and the scale said it hadn't seen me in a little over 100 days. Hmm... that's not good. In that time, I've gained probably 3-4 pounds. I have a feeling it's going to be a rough couple of weeks starting out. With the scale out of the way, I started MFC.

When you start, you create a profile, which took me about 20-30 minutes. Maya will ask for yoour name, gender, height, weight, and birthday. Then, make sure you have a tape measure handy, because she asks for measurements of your bicep, waist, and hips. While Wii Fit only tracks your weight and BMI, Maya will track these numbers with you as well. I don't know yet how often she'll ask for updates (the manual says every 10 workouts), but there's a chart that you can access on your profile that shows the measurements over time, which will be a nice addition when tracking weight loss. (You should be more concerned about watching your waist size than your actual weight, since you're building muscle to replace the fat.)

Then comes the fitness tests. First, you'll get a standing heart rate by taking your pulse for 10 seconds. Then she asks you to do jumping jacks for 2 minutes. I didn't think that would be too bad, so I started, and was getting really tired after about 30 seconds. I did most of the two minutes, and then got my active heart rate. Then she asks you to do as many push ups, squats and crunches as you can, followed by a stretching test. Finally, she delivers the bad news about how fat and out of shape I am. (Actually, she's very polite about the whole thing.)

She recommends that my fitness plan be focused on weight loss, though I could override her choice if I wanted to. Other possibilties are cardio, upper, core, or lower body strength, and flexibility. Then you can set your weight goal, though there's no setting like Wii Fit to say when you want to accomplish that goal. Finally, she proposes a workout schedule, with 2 30 minute workouts per week, and 4 15 minute workouts. You can change that around if you don't like the schedule. For instance, I decided I might as well slip an extra 15 minute workout on the empty day, and then moved my 30 minute wokouts to Saturday and Sunday when I have a bit more time. From the main menu, you can change any of these settings, if you need to do so.

With the profile all done, now it's just a matter of deciding if I want to do my first workout now, or wait a while. Shamefully exhausted from the profile tests, I decide to wait a while. So I pop in the copy of Lego Star Wars that I got for Christmas and finish off Episode 3 before coming back to Maya a couple of hours later.

So I go in to do my first workout, and Maya give me a few options:
  • workout length (so I'm not stuck with what the schedule says)
  • workout location and music theme (more unlock as you complete workouts)
  • equipment available (this was also in the profile, but you can confirm/add/remove before starting the workout)
  • workout focus (Maya will reccomend one, but you can change it. Options are yoga, cardio, upper, core, or lower body, and flexibility.)

As the workout begins, you'll go through a light cardio warmup (though I'm sure it will get more intense as you go) followed by exercises that Maya choose for you based on your long term goal and daily focus. My focus for the day was on upper body strength, so after warming up, I did some squat rowing moves (with a more complex name that I can't quite remember), standing rows, pushups, bicep curls and tricep kickbacks. I had freeweights, but she never asked me to use them today. I went ahead and used them for the bicep and tricep exercises anyway.

As you exercise, a timer will display in the lower left corner, telling you how much time remains in your workout. There's a sliding progress bar on the bottom of the screen that displays the name of the exercise, and when it's within 10-20 seconds of ending, the next one will begin sliding in. According to the manual, you'll see an icon if the exercise will include equipment, or if it's a water break. After some exercises, Maya will ask how that last exercise felt (too easy, too hard, just right). She'll use the input to adjust your next workout, if necessary. Every so often, you'll get a 15 second rest period between exercises (you'll see it coming on the slider bar), and Maya will encourage you to stretch out your muscles. At the end, you'll get a cooldown period to do some stretches before ending your workout. When you're done, you get screen telling you how many workouts you've completed, as well as how many calories you've just burned.

If you don't know how to perform an exercise, there's a tutorial button you can press. Maya will explain it, and you'll see her demonstrate it, but the view is exactly the same as when she normally does the exercise. There are two problems with this, but they're minor. First, you have no camera control (as far as I know), so you can't zoom in or spin around to a better angle if there's something you're not sure about. Second, this is basically another PS2 port, so the graphics aren't that great. It's not like you really need incredible graphics for this, but sometimes the details don't come through when you're trying to figure out where to put our hands or how to move your ams the right way.

Two final things. First, you can enter a workout credit if you've done a lot of activity away from the game (like Wii Fit), but it has specific options for cycling, walking, jogging, etc. I'm guessing you select one and enter a time, but I haven't tried it yet. Also, there's a "Group workout" option on the main menu. I guess if you have multiple profiles created, you can workout together; it's not mentioned in the manual. I'm not sure what kind of effect that would have on the exercises selected for the workout though, if your profiles are too different.

So, here's the bottom line: I liked Wii Fit. I used it a lot, almost everyday for several months, until it got to the point where I just did 30 minutes of free steps and a 10 minute free run each day. There wasn't enough variety to keep me coming back, especially when I had to make all the choices myself.

I like this too. I think it's easily worth $30, plus whatever you spend on the extra equipment (ball, weights, step, heart monitor) if you want them. But then again, I've only done one day. I took karate classes for about a year until I messed up my knee. One of the good things about taking an exercise class is you just have to show up and put forth the effort; the instructor will tell you what to do. It's the same thing here. Just shut up and do what youre told. There's a structure to your workout, but the actual exercises will be a suprise. But at the same time, it's not so closed off that you have no control at all. If I want to focus on yoga on Monday mornings, I can do that, I just won't be able to pick specific exercises.

The only major downside is that with the older graphics, the trainer isn't nearly as hot as the one in Wii Fit.

I'll try to write more in a few days just to give a little more accurate impression of the overall experience. In the meantime, if you've got questions, feel free to ask.

Awesome. I have a $20 GS giftcard, so, I might just pick this up for $10.

I will probably get this ASAP. I hope others do, too.

I got it yesterday at Best Buy.
I set up my profile: :rofl: I didn't expect the bitch to make me do 2 minutes of jumping jacks!!!

I only have a step and free weights. If I get a balance ball/heart monitor..is there anyway to add them? I was looking for a way, but couldn't find it. :(

[quote name='Travelsized']It's on sale at Best Buy for $19.99 this week.[/QUOTE]

Sold. I'll definitely be picking it up this week.

[quote name='lilboo']Try CircuitCity! they will 110% pricematch! My CC's were sold out, :([/QUOTE]

Shoot, I can almost guarantee that my CC's won't have it. Since it's only a difference of $10, it isn't even worth it for me to go to CC (just to get pissed off over their lack of organization) for a whopping $1. It all pretty much evens out when I consider that the $19.99 will go toward the BB RZ Gamer's Club deal where you get a $10 GC for every $150 you spend on games.

Good idea, though!

I just ordered this from Amazon with my $5 coupon from Chrono Trigger. Thanks for the heads up on this game. But currently it is backordered. If I don't get it in a few weeks, I'll likely cancel and wait for EA Sports Active.

[quote name='lilboo']I got it yesterday at Best Buy.
I set up my profile: :rofl: I didn't expect the bitch to make me do 2 minutes of jumping jacks!!!

I only have a step and free weights. If I get a balance ball/heart monitor..is there anyway to add them? I was looking for a way, but couldn't find it. :([/QUOTE]

Each time you start a workout, she'll let you confirm the equipment that you have. I guess that it defaults to what you selected last time, because the weights are always selected. She still hasn't asked me to use my free weights yet, but I'm tempted to get a heart monitor wrist watch. Most of the ones I've seen at Target and Walmart are $30-$50, so I'm not ready to bite just yet.

And yeah, 2 minutes of jumping jacks (from a cold start, no less) nearly killed me.

And you can set it for a 15 minute workout at the very least, right?

::nervous::

I have not worked out in a while. :rofl: I am terrified at what's going to happen to me.

You should be. Sure, she sounds nice, but Maya is cold-hearted bitch. I think my next workout tonight is supposed to be cardio, and I'm damn scared. Or maybe it's yoga. God, I hope it's yoga. :)

My legs have been getting the worst of it. It's the same old story... I've never had so much trouble with lunges until I gained weight. I think I did 4 workouts last week (not sure if that includes the profile tests) and my body's adjusting fairly well.

Oddly enough, this is really hard to find in my area. I got my copy 3 weeks ago. Best Buy was out, no sign of it at Target or Walmart, and I got the last copy at Gamestop. TRU had a big stack of them, though. A friend is trying to find a copy for himself, and TRU is out, and Best Buy is still coming up empty. Their website is backordered. Too many New Year's resolutions and Wii Fit shortages are probably helping to keep this flying off the shelves.

[quote name='Travelsized']You should be. Sure, she sounds nice, but Maya is cold-hearted bitch. I think my next workout tonight is supposed to be cardio, and I'm damn scared. Or maybe it's yoga. God, I hope it's yoga. :)

My legs have been getting the worst of it. It's the same old story... I've never had so much trouble with lunges until I gained weight. I think I did 4 workouts last week (not sure if that includes the profile tests) and my body's adjusting fairly well.

Oddly enough, this is really hard to find in my area. I got my copy 3 weeks ago. Best Buy was out, no sign of it at Target or Walmart, and I got the last copy at Gamestop. TRU had a big stack of them, though. A friend is trying to find a copy for himself, and TRU is out, and Best Buy is still coming up empty. Their website is backordered. Too many New Year's resolutions and Wii Fit shortages are probably helping to keep this flying off the shelves.[/QUOTE]

So.. wait. (Sorry, I haven't done a workout yet! :lol:). I chose "Weight Loss" for my goal. Ok. So everytime I workout, SHE decides what to give me? Like what if I wanted to do just cardio tonight? It's not up to me? LOL :(

--

DoK, no balance board at all. It seems pretty good for $20

My friend worked on Yourself Fitness and this .

Ubisoft screwed him and his company over , they even went so far as to make the price of this cheap so they'd get less .

No, you can still decide what to do. She reccomends doing a different daily focus each day (it will have a star next to it), but you're free to choose whichever option you'd like. This is different from your long term goal, somehow. I'm assuming that since I have weight loss as a long term goal, my daily workouts have longer cardio-based warmups than someone that selected upper body strength, for instance.

So feel free to pick Cardio each day. I just like having my workout balanced out with different areas each day (also provides a little recovery time, too).

Hmm.. good point.
So despite whatever I chose as a target goal (in terms of minutes), I can choose how many minutes still..right?

Since I'm just starting out (even w/ eating better) I'm gonna do 15 cardio tonight. I have a stepper :D So hopefully she puts my gay ass on that thing.

I will report later if I get hospitalized.

Did 15 minutes cardio. It was decent. Got my ass kicked but not TOO hard. It said I burned 54 calories, LOL

What I didn't like:
They just... throw exercises at you. Like, really. You do one, and you can see what exercise is coming up...buttttt how exactly do you DO these exercises and do them properly?! I can see that after a few weeks starting to pick up one what exercises are what and how to do them..but that doesn't help me now. :(

This was just doing cardio.. so the cardio moves are kinda like dance moves (sorta)..and yeah, my rhythm wasn't so hot. :(

I also didn't like how I was doing an exercise then ALL of a sudden it was a Step exercise?! Then later all of a sudden I needed my weights! I guess I need to start setting up my station better... :lol:

Overall, it's decent. It's worth $20. Maybe worth $30. It's a damn shame that the graphics and sound are ATROCIOUS. I know it's an exercise game.. but god damn!! This game looks and sounds ridiculous.

I'll be posting more. I'm gonna do 15 minutes all week to make sure I don't overdo it and kill myself :lol:

We'll be getting this tomorrow - I just got a 5 RZ GC and with it being on sale... Me and my wife loved Yourself Fitness on xbox - put in a ton of hours on that "game" - it was simple, it was Maya, and I've considered a few times just picking it up used on ps2 so we could start back doing it.

[quote name='lilboo']Did 15 minutes cardio. It was decent. Got my ass kicked but not TOO hard. It said I burned 54 calories, LOL[/quote]

I decided to do 15 minutes of cardio as well, just to have an idea of what you'd be going through. It said I burned around 110. It was tough but not insane.

What I didn't like:
They just... throw exercises at you. Like, really. You do one, and you can see what exercise is coming up...buttttt how exactly do you DO these exercises and do them properly?! I can see that after a few weeks starting to pick up one what exercises are what and how to do them..but that doesn't help me now. :(

I can understand that. So far, I've seen quite a few repeats, so there's definitely some familiarity over time. If you need to hear an explanation, there's a tutorial button in the lower right. She'll explain it, and you can watch, but it's not like the camera zooms in or anything helpful. On a few of them, she's explained the move when I get to it, but not always. It's inconsistent. One of the warmup moves ("Out Out In")... I still can't do it right, but I figure a jumping jack is close enough. :) I think the cardio and warmup moves are probably the hardest to do in the right form, so they take a little longer to figure out. (I'm looking at you, "Grapevine".)

I also didn't like how I was doing an exercise then ALL of a sudden it was a Step exercise?! Then later all of a sudden I needed my weights! I guess I need to start setting up my station better... :lol:

Yeah, I had my first exercise with weights today. If you're set up, there's at least an icon on the upcoming exercise that lets you know you need the equipment.

I'm curious what you did with the step, though. Did you need a lot of floor space to use it (like going all over the place witht he step routines in Wii Fit) or was it a simple up and down? I'm pretty short on floor space right now, so I'm not sure if I'd have room to use it.

Overall, it's decent. It's worth $20. Maybe worth $30.

I can see your points. After a few days, I've gotten used to some of it's "quirks"... but I think that even at $30, there's a lot of value in this. Definitely worth $20, though.

I only did a step up and step down. So, I can't tell you if you'll need more space with it.
:rofl: @ at the grapevine :wall:

So I imagine that when she asks you "HOW U FEELZ?", that determines the difficulty? I wonder how we both do 15 minutes of cardio and you burned 50 calories more then me. :whistle2:k

But then again, you might be bigger then me & bigger = burns more calories.
Maybe your difficulty was a lot more then me. This WAS my first exercise, too. (Though, she told me it was my second?!)

I did cardio again tonight, for 15 minutes. (I'm going to do 15 minutes cardio all week to get my body used to the abuse)

I felt more worked out tonight, but it felt easier to do, YET I still only "burned 53 calories". Hmm. :whistle2:k
I used my stepper and weights again in the exercises.

For 15 minutes of nonstop cardio, I can't believe it's 53 calories. I understand it wasn't TOTALLY hardcore, but STILL.

I'm not worried about that though.
I'm considering doing this 15 minutes in the morning before work..then another 15 later in the evening. This might help me out in the long run.

More at once will be more effective than two 15-minute sessions, since you have to get your heart rate up for it to be effective.

I agree. I'm just a bit out of shape at the moment :rofl:

I promise, I will do a 30 eventually. Maybe 45 if I feel like being nuts.
I can't IMAGINE doing 75 minutes.

I went ahead and picked up a copy from Best Buy yesterday - although I don't think I'll get a chance to get started w/ it until this weekend, it seems like the quantities are extremely limited given the New Year's rush. I also ordered a MyoTape from Amazon, since all of my soft measuring tapes have gone MIA and this one actually looks somewhat handy.

Hmm my sister might enjoy this but it is a 1-2 week back order. They are unavailable locally. Not sure if it is worth waiting for or not. Then again she is still trying to score a wii fit.

Woot.com is selling Reebok heart rate monitor watches (with chest straps) for 19.99 + $5 shipping today. I went ahead and ordered one, because I haven't been able to find one for less than $35 or $40.

bread's done
Back