My friend almost died on Friday.

coolbrys

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Well, it wasn't exactly my fault... let me explain the story.

I live in a city that is known for it's surrounding area - two huge lakes, great hiking, good skiing and mountains, etc. This summer, my friends and I decided to start doing different things - we started finding things to jump off of. Previously, other friends and I had jumped off a 65-70ft bridge around the area, but it's very easy to get caught, so we stopped doing that. Instead, we began finding cliffs and waterfalls to jump off of.

HPIM3612.jpg

One day, I found a video of some people jumping off the McCloud Falls, a place about an hour north of where I live. Intrigued, I sent the video to my friend Stu, and we began to make plans to go there and jump off the cliff nearby, which was said to be 80 feet. After a week of plans falling through and the likes, we managed to leave my house at 4pm on Friday, getting to the falls at around 5:45pm (we had to go farther then anticipated.) After a quick check of the depth of the water and of the (rough) path up to the top, Stu, my brother and I decided to climb up and jump, while our friend Richard stayed at the bottom and filmed. The decision to have someone stay and film probably saved a life that day.

I should have known right away that it was dangerous. I hadn't been on such a high and unstable place before, as I usually jump off of bridges. Stu had volunteered to go first from the first time he viewed the video I had found a week prior, and he was still intent on jumping. He got to the top of the cliff and waved us back, to give him room. He was calculating the jump and looking around, and it seemed like he was ready to jump, and he did. Something wasn't right when he jumped.... he ended up slipping.

Video of the fall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OKbwt99E8g

My brother and I were still at the top. I decided to jump in and help him, but I (thankfully) didn't, because I was still at the top of the cliff and anything could of happened. Richard was still at the bottom, and he dove in and brought Stu to shore. He was unconscious, and everyone was worried. By the time we got down (took a few minutes), someone had called 911 and he was becoming conscious again. He didn't remember where he was, but he remembered who I was and he remembered all about himself. He could still move all his extremities, but he was having a lot of trouble breathing. We just had to sit and wait for the paramedics.

They took about 30 minutes to arrive, but to their defense we were way out. They took him out on a stretcher. We didn't get very many pictures of them, but we got two decent ones.

HPIM3611.jpg

HPIM3613.jpg

Not surprisingly, since we were not family, they wouldn't tell us anything about his condition. We were simply told to go home, so that's what we did. In a way I wish we didn't; Richard was very shaken up about what had happened and he ended up getting arrested that night (thats a whole other story.) Thankfully, yesterday Stu called me from the hospital, and we all went down and visited him.

I don't have any pictures of him now (although I'm sure I could get them) but he's in pretty bad shape. His skin is deeply bruised everywhere he hit, his ribs are all broken/cracked and one of his lungs were punctured. The paramedics all said how lucky he is to be alive. If any of you have jumped off of something 65 feet or so, you know how intense it really is, and how different it is from jumping off something that's even 30 feet. Landing on your side/stomach can seriously kill you, and I'm so glad he's okay.

I'm not going to lecture those who love to jump off of things of the dangers of it. Truth is, I love it too and I won't stop. However, now I know exactly what I'm risking everytime I do it, and I'm glad that I know. Sometimes you get caught up in the moment and feel invincible, but things can really go wrong. Just make sure you have a stable place to jump from and the water is deep enough, and you should be fine.

You can never guarantee it, though.

Wow, not sure I'd even do that for a million dollars. I want to skydive someday soon, and I'm crazy.. but not that crazy.

He's hella lucky to be alive. How do you jump from that high and not die on impact? I don't know much about it, but seems extremely dangerous.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Wow, not sure I'd even do that for a million dollars. I want to skydive someday soon, and I'm crazy.. but not that crazy.

He's hella lucky to be alive. How do you jump from that high and not die on impact? I don't know much about it, but seems extremely dangerous.[/quote]

I'm not sure how he lived, to be honest. He doesn't even have any permanent injuries, which is amazing. Everyone just kept saying how lucky he was to be alive.

I don't see anything at all wrong with the "sport" as long as you've done your research, have the gear, and are just well prepared all around.

It really does suck that things like that happen, though. Sorry about your friend. Maybe you guys should invest in some proper shoes for this.

I have to admit that I'm kind of interested in knowing what he was arrested for after something as bad as that.

The other guy was arrested for something that was barely related, and it really wasn't that bad by itself, but it just really contributed an even stronger negative tone to the day - Richard (the one who saved my friend) ended up having some sort of guilt from the jump (which I'm still not sure why he had it) and he got very very drunk and decided to walk home from where we were (despite everyone telling him not to.) He ended up going to jail for a day for being Drunk in Public.

We usually jump from anywhere from 35-70 feet, and yes it's always over water. It's a really fun hobby that costs nothing and until that day, no one had ever gotten hurt.

[quote name='coolbrys'] Richard (the one who saved my friend) ended up having some sort of guilt from the jump (which I'm still not sure why he had it) and he got very very drunk and decided to walk home from where we were (despite everyone telling him not to.) He ended up going to jail for a day for being Drunk in Public. [/QUOTE]
That's shitty.

I mean, at least he didn't drive, he just wanted to walk home.

[quote name='Bezerker']Well, i sure dont think they do this on concrete.[/QUOTE]

I assumed so. But they could have something else to land on besides water. Was just curious...

I just wanted to say that those falls (not the one your friend took, the actual waterfalls) are beautiful.

And I wanted to show sympathy for what happened. I guess you won't be jumping off anything for a while, eh?

[quote name='linkpwns']I just wanted to say that those falls (not the one your friend took, the actual waterfalls) are beautiful.

And I wanted to show sympathy for what happened. I guess you won't be jumping off anything for a while, eh?[/quote]

Yeah, I'm done jumping off high things for a while. I can't say I'll never do it again, because it's amazingly fun, but I'll be very careful.

And yes, they are quite beautiful.

Not more than once...

[quote name='Bezerker']Well, i sure dont think they do this on concrete.[/quote]

[quote name='coolbrys']I can't say I'll never do it again, because it's amazingly fun,[/quote]

Not to make light of your near tragedy, but why did I just think of an awards show named after the father of evolution?

Your jumping from 80ft. You do realize after a certain height water is deadly i.e why people jump off bridges its like hitting concert. Which is why your friend went unconscious.

He's lucky to be alive, btw could you resize your images their freaking huge.

It's not so much height as it velocity as well. For instance if you were propelled with enough force into the water by something else even from a height of say 30 ft. it can be deadly, but obviously height has a large bering on velocity in this case though. I'm glad your friend is okay, but it's unfortunate it almost took his life to realize what incredible dumbasses you were being. Especially for not investing any time, equipment or even research into the matter (had you done so I'd likely be less critical too).

Maybe I'm too old, but I came here expecting to read a story about someone in a car accident, disease, etc.

But it's stupid fucking kids jumping off cliffs.

In all honesty, I am glad your friend will be okay. But I am dumbfounded in the stupidity of the event.

[quote name='Haggar']Maybe I'm too old, but I came here expecting to read a story about someone in a car accident, disease, etc.

In all honesty, I am glad your friend will be okay. But I am dumbfounded in the stupidity of the event.[/QUOTE]
This.

[quote name='Haggar']Maybe I'm too old, but I came here expecting to read a story about someone in a car accident, disease, etc.

In all honesty, I am glad your friend will be okay. But I am dumbfounded in the stupidity of the event.[/QUOTE]

Could have been dumbass kids jumping on oil rigs and blowing themselves to Kingdom Come. This strikes me as somewhat less stupid.

[quote name='PRMega']Could have been dumbass kids jumping on oil rigs and blowing themselves to Kingdom Come. This strikes me as somewhat less stupid.[/QUOTE]

That poor dog. . .

[quote name='Haggar']That poor dog. . .[/quote]
That poor... poor dog.

Oh, and sorry about your friend.

Edit: Jeeze, the YouTube comments are brutal. Although this made me laugh:
Neanderhummus (5 hours ago)
thats about what id expect from a boy named stu

I'm glad your friend is ok, but I hope you realize how stupid that was. If it stops to make you think the next time you or your friends get an idiotic idea in your heads like jumping of an 80-ft cliff "for fun" then MAYBE it was worth it.

Why does youth make you think you're invincible?

I've always wanted to jump off a bridge as a bet or something, I think it's around 50 feet up but everybody says I'd die when I hit the water. You guys do this regularly and nothing bad happens?

[quote name='TimPV3']I've always wanted to jump off a bridge as a bet or something, I think it's around 50 feet up but everybody says I'd die when I hit the water. You guys do this regularly and nothing bad happens?[/QUOTE]

Oh no the cyclce is about to repeat itself.

You guys need to save up and skydive or something. Thats pretty dangerous.

Glad hes going to be ok.

Have you shown the parents the video?

i can't believe you guys were planning on doing that. i mean if your friends jumped off a bridge would... o wait.

[quote name='TimPV3']You guys do this regularly and nothing bad happens?[/QUOTE]

Hi. I'm going to assume you skipped the title. And the entire OP. And 90% of the follow up posts. So yes, nothing bad has ever happened! Give it a whirl!

I forget what they call this, but I read it's getting popular in England, in an article about some people dying.

[quote name='2poor']I forget what they call this, but I read it's getting popular in England, in an article about some people dying.[/quote]

Its called jumping off a cliff into water.

I feel sorry for your friend, but didn't it ever cross anyones mind that you might die from free falling from such heights? It might be fun, but is it worth a good chance of dying or serious injury for the rest of your life? I would never do this myself because I don't like doing such dangerous things, but if you are compelled to do so, why not do something safer like sky dive or bungie jump? That way, the probability of something dangerous happening (with proper equipment and precautionary measures) is a lot less. It may not be free, but the medical bills may be a lot more if something bad happens the next time you jump off a cliff.

I am pretty terrified of cliff jumping now. Occasionally I'll jump something but only after I've thoroughly examined the water.

When I was in my early teens we used to cliff jump all the time. Being from a beach town this is just standard stuff for most teens to do. One time I jumped into water that had a sandbar.. it was probably four feet deep (15-20 foot jump?). I'll never forget the sensation of hitting the sand like that. I just fell over in the water and laid there for a minute or two. I thought "holy God, I'm going to be paralyzed for life." Fortunately I walked away from it. When you're not expecting to take a hit like that it really snaps you back into reality. (The sensation is akin to when you aren't expecting to step off of a curb and even though it's only a few inches of a dip it startles you - well times that by about ten.)

bread's done
Back