My GameStop Woes and Wows

Tsukento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Earlier today, I hit up three different GameStops. Two were their own shops, while one was in a mall. The first one I hit up had a rather large amount of decent Game Boy games (although some were still rather pricey). I browsed around at first and noticed one Nyco Guitar that was on sale for Gamers' Day was priced at $29.99, rather than $39.99. I attempted to get it, but it rang up for $39.99. They denied to honor the price just because the computer says different from their labeled price.

I decided not to get it and kept looking about. Asked how much some GB games were and picked up Metroid II for under $5 with the discount card ($4.80 counting tax, to be exact). So I head over to the GameStop within the mall.

What an absolute waste of time that was. Their store was mostly filled with used, crap titles that weren't even in their original cases. Absolutely none of their used DS games had cases at all, not even their Pokemon Diamonds. They DID have those cool chainsaw controllers for Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 at $20, though. Two, to be exact. Didn't grab either, though. Felt it wasn't worth it.

Last store is HUGE. I spot a bin of PlayStation, NES and Genesis games. Unfortunately, the NES titles are random golf, tennis and game show games. Genesis had two copies of Sonic the Hedgehog and nothing but those huge cartridges with the clips on the sides. However, I did manage to snag copies of Saiyuki, Vagrant Story, Alundra 2, Star Ocean, Ape Escape and two Sega Sports Dreamcast games.

As I'm getting ready to buy the games, I notice there sat a lone, used Guitar Hero guitar. It sat there on the shelf with a price tag of $19.99. I immediately snatched it and left with only having shelled out $33 after applying the discount card and tax (and the 75% off for the PSOne and Dreamcast games). So I ended up paying only $17.99 for the guitar, as opposed to $60 for a new 1st part one or $40 for a 3rd party one. I held off on getting either Guitar Hero since I sure as hell wasn't gonna pay over $35 for either. I'm sure I can find a better deal elsewhere, right guys? *wink wink*

I'd say today was a productive day.

Very nice, whenever I go to Gamestop (which is maybe once every two/three weeks) I browse everything. I check the used PS2/Xbox/GC/GBA/DS/PSP/360, and what have you. I sometimes feel obligated to pick something up, and will grab something cheap.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd get annoyed if someone came in took forever and then left without buying anything.

[quote name='yukine']Very nice, whenever I go to Gamestop (which is maybe once every two/three weeks) I browse everything. I check the used PS2/Xbox/GC/GBA/DS/PSP/360, and what have you. I sometimes feel obligated to pick something up, and will grab something cheap.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd get annoyed if someone came in took forever and then left without buying anything.[/QUOTE]

We only get pissed when you do that at closing ^_-

Why should we have to buy anything? Usually, I go in looking for one game. If I don't find it, I'll take a look around the store.

Got another story, same store with the mistag.

I bring in the $10 off two used $14.99+ GameCube games coupon and check out the GameStop nearby my mom's place. First thing that caught my attention was a used HORI SNES-STYLE GCN CONTROLLER. I instantly nabbed it and grabbed WarioWare Inc., Mega Party Game$ and Virtua Quest (WW being tagged at $17.99 and VQ at $14.99). I bring these up and grab the Pokemon Battle Revolution Prima guide and tell them I want to buy those.

So the guys starts to ring them up, takes my Edge Card and starts trying to be "buddy-buddy" with me by asking what consoles I have just to ask me to pre-order something. I told him I wasn't interested and he kept trying to push a pre-order of Halo 3 and Madden 08 on me. I told him I wasn't interested still and to just ring everything up. Done. I start to head out and check my receipt. The coupon didn't ring up. So I ask what that was about.

Turns out Virtua Quest wasn't $14.99 but actually $12.99 because they couldn't bother to update the tag. He tries to get me out by saying that I could keep the coupon and take it to another store. OH BOY! I GET TO KEEP A COUPON I PRINTED OUT! I told him to take VQ back and exchange it with another game. I picked out Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. He goes through this long process then tells me he can't give me the original case because they need to let people know they have more copies.

Had I not been keeping my mom waiting since I said I'd be right over, I'd have told him to just make himself a new store cover like they have for all other games. But since I was in a hurry, I just told him to give me the damn thing as is.

So I get everything straightened out. And head out. Upon looking at the receipt, he forgot to remark the strategy guide. In fact, the idiot didn't even charge me for it in the original receipt. He also forgot to ask for my ID for PoP (normally, ALL stores ask me for ID whenever I go to buy an M-rated game alone even though I am 21). Let's just say that now that I have the store's address and the name of the clerk who rang me up, I'll be giving GameStop a call to inform them an employee sold an M-rated game without asking for identification. ;)

[quote name='Tsukento']Got another story, same store with the mistag.

I bring in the $10 off two used $14.99+ GameCube games coupon and check out the GameStop nearby my mom's place. First thing that caught my attention was a used HORI SNES-STYLE GCN CONTROLLER. I instantly nabbed it and grabbed WarioWare Inc., Mega Party Game$ and Virtua Quest (WW being tagged at $17.99 and VQ at $14.99). I bring these up and grab the Pokemon Battle Revolution Prima guide and tell them I want to buy those.

So the guys starts to ring them up, takes my Edge Card and starts trying to be "buddy-buddy" with me by asking what consoles I have just to ask me to pre-order something. I told him I wasn't interested and he kept trying to push a pre-order of Halo 3 and Madden 08 on me. I told him I wasn't interested still and to just ring everything up. Done. I start to head out and check my receipt. The coupon didn't ring up. So I ask what that was about.

Turns out Virtua Quest wasn't $14.99 but actually $12.99 because they couldn't bother to update the tag. He tries to get me out by saying that I could keep the coupon and take it to another store. OH BOY! I GET TO KEEP A COUPON I PRINTED OUT! I told him to take VQ back and exchange it with another game. I picked out Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. He goes through this long process then tells me he can't give me the original case because they need to let people know they have more copies.

Had I not been keeping my mom waiting since I said I'd be right over, I'd have told him to just make himself a new store cover like they have for all other games. But since I was in a hurry, I just told him to give me the damn thing as is.

So I get everything straightened out. And head out. Upon looking at the receipt, he forgot to remark the strategy guide. In fact, the idiot didn't even charge me for it in the original receipt. He also forgot to ask for my ID for PoP (normally, ALL stores ask me for ID whenever I go to buy an M-rated game alone even though I am 21). Let's just say that now that I have the store's address and the name of the clerk who rang me up, I'll be giving GameStop a call to inform them an employee sold an M-rated game without asking for identification. ;)[/quote]
so your going to be a dick and get the employee in trouble who ended up giving you a full price strategy guide for free (by accident) because he was in a hurry and didn't ask you for your id.

1) He didn't inform me about the fact that Virtua Quest was $12.99 until AFTER I checked the receipt and asked what that was about.

2) He tried pushing me into keeping it as is despite the deal ending today and basically wanted me to buy two more games to use the coupon at another store. I had handed him the coupon WITH my Edge Card and he didn't even mention the coupon wasn't going to work with the games I bought. I ended up paying MORE during the first transaction, rather than the second.

3) Instead of asking if it was okay to give me a BLANK DVD case instead of the original, he tried BSing me into thinking he couldn't give me the original case despite the fact that he had a stack of empty cases he was making new slips for.

4) After I told him I wasn't interested in reserving anything, he kept trying to push me into reserving something.

I could understand being in a rush when there's people. I was the ONLY customer there.

sometimes it is better just to put a $5 reserve on something just to get better treatment...it shouldnt be that way but unfortunately it is...you can always change it later on

edit: not saying your wrong and i would be annoyed if the those things happened to me....one example is i was looking for a Mario Party 8, new of course, and they had 2 display copies and when i asked if i could see the discs, the guy just looked at me like i was crazy and stated they were new...and i stated that i knew they were allowed to take them home to play and when they are opened it is no longer "new"...and sure enough both discs had a noticeble mark on them which was enough for me to pass on

[quote name='Tsukento']Let's just say that now that I have the store's address and the name of the clerk who rang me up, I'll be giving GameStop a call to inform them an employee sold an M-rated game without asking for identification. ;)[/quote]

Yeah man, that's not cool.

[quote name='Tsukento']So I get everything straightened out. And head out. Upon looking at the receipt, he forgot to remark the strategy guide. In fact, the idiot didn't even charge me for it in the original receipt. He also forgot to ask for my ID for PoP (normally, ALL stores ask me for ID whenever I go to buy an M-rated game alone even though I am 21). Let's just say that now that I have the store's address and the name of the clerk who rang me up, I'll be giving GameStop a call to inform them an employee sold an M-rated game without asking for identification. ;)[/quote]

That's pretty douchebaggy of you.

[quote name='Jedi1979']sometimes it is better just to put a $5 reserve on something just to get better treatment...it shouldnt be that way but unfortunately it is...you can always change it later on
[/quote]Sorry but I am never giving the GameStop Corporation a $5 interest-free loan just to get treated respectfully as a customer, who gives them a TON of business otherwise.

[rant against them, not against you]

[quote name='Jedi1979']sometimes it is better just to put a $5 reserve on something just to get better treatment...it shouldnt be that way but unfortunately it is...you can always change it later on[/quote]
I believe that's not the right way of going about it as in the long run, that won't change a damn thing with them. Why should anyone have to put $5 on a game they don't want just to get better service, even if they can take it back? If I don't want to reserve a game, I don't want to reserve a game. No business should resort to that.

[quote name='cranguy']Sorry but I am never giving the GameStop Corporation a $5 interest-free loan just to get treated respectfully as a customer, who gives them a TON of business otherwise.

[rant against them, not against you][/quote]

come to think of it i dont think i have either but i have used store credit to place reserves and then just move them to something i actually buy

[quote name='Tsukento']1) He didn't inform me about the fact that Virtua Quest was $12.99 until AFTER I checked the receipt and asked what that was about.

2) He tried pushing me into keeping it as is despite the deal ending today and basically wanted me to buy two more games to use the coupon at another store. I had handed him the coupon WITH my Edge Card and he didn't even mention the coupon wasn't going to work with the games I bought. I ended up paying MORE during the first transaction, rather than the second.

3) Instead of asking if it was okay to give me a BLANK DVD case instead of the original, he tried BSing me into thinking he couldn't give me the original case despite the fact that he had a stack of empty cases he was making new slips for.

4) After I told him I wasn't interested in reserving anything, he kept trying to push me into reserving something.

I could understand being in a rush when there's people. I was the ONLY customer there.[/quote]

Is your ego that small that you have to get someone in trouble for something so small. ill be the first one to say that SOME those people are 'tards, but man give it a rest he tried to sell you something you said no, you caught the mistake keep moving along.

[quote name='Tsukento']I believe that's not the right way of going about it as in the long run, that won't change a damn thing with them. Why should anyone have to put $5 on a game they don't want just to get better service, even if they can take it back? If I don't want to reserve a game, I don't want to reserve a game. No business should resort to that.[/quote]

absolutly agree..

[quote name='spider24']Is your ego that small that you have to get someone in trouble for something so small.[/quote]
Shitty customer service isn't something I'd call small. Just because I caught the problem doesn't mean I have to bend over and let it happen again should there be a future purchase there. It's not just myself that the terrible service affects, but also anyone else who might go there and not have the same amount of knowledge about these things that we normally do. There's no excuse to ever attempt rushing your customer out, trying to push them into a purchase they don't want TWICE (pre-order and the mistag), and general BS.

I always find it funny when GS salesclerks try and push pre-orders on the games that will sell and are not too hard to find once they are released...like halo3, madden 08 (pre-order a sports game? wtf?) or RE4 for the Wii.

I guess they do bank (and probably do win) on the people who put the preorder down and then forget about it.

I remember one time...I was buying Phoenix Wright and the salesclerk asked me what systems I own (of course for the pre-order push) and I said "oh, I have a DS and a PS2." He asked if I wanted to pre-order Zelda. I told him "nah...I'm was never a Zelda fan (heresy, eh?) or a Pokemon fan for that matter (Diamond and Pearl pre-orders were pushed on to me too a few months ago)." He tells me that I really go against the grain. When I told him that I'm a "niche gamer" he just looked surprised at me and just kept quiet the rest of the transaction. Luckily, the GS I always frequent, the clerks just ask me quite politely "are there any games you would like to reserve?" And, if I say no....thats the end of it.

[quote name='Tsukento']Shitty customer service isn't something I'd call small. Just because I caught the problem doesn't mean I have to bend over and let it happen again should there be a future purchase there. It's not just myself that the terrible service affects, but also anyone else who might go there and not have the same amount of knowledge about these things that we normally do. There's no excuse to ever attempt rushing your customer out, trying to push them into a purchase they don't want TWICE (pre-order and the mistag), and general BS.[/quote]

Man you need to get out a liitle more. I think the majority of all retail stores try to sell you something at check out. You think because you use your "Jedi Mind Powers" not to get swindled by the employee that nobody else know's what is going on? come on you cant be that mentally handicapped. The majority of people that get "scammed" are the kids who save up their allowance and are just happy to make a purchase. The grown somewhat mature adults have a clue of what to expect when going to a video game store. Everytime we(I) hear a name of one these stores right away i conjure the image of the "Fat Pig" who thinks he/she is better than us because they work a the store. In reality we all know that the Fringe benefit is getting a video game for cheap or be the first to play.....how sad:cry:

I...don't seem to ever recall ever having "Jedi Mind Powers" or anything of the sort. o_O Now you're just twisting my words. Most stores of any kind of retail usually ask ONCE and it's generally "Is that everything for today?" along with a note on any specials they have that might fly by a customer.

Just because it's happening doesn't mean it's okay to just let it happen more simply because you know they're trying to swindle you. If you know the service is bad and you know they forgot to do something that they're required to do, then you have every right to mention it.

try this, dont ever walk into a retail store again. if you dont like it move on, the guy keeps his job by being persistant, thats what drives sales and business, think about it, people whine and moan on here about gamestop, yet most people still go, and tons of people buy preorders. its sad to see people that act like you on a trading website because this is in a way a means of business, something you dont fully understand

It's a shame but a necessary evil of retail. The employees hardly ever get in trouble for treating customers like shit so when you see an opportunity to get some punished it's nice to have. That may seem petty but if they can't learn how to deal with the public properly then it's inevitable that they're gonna be fucked anyway. As it is, Gamestop's customer service help line is a joke so getting a chance to bust someone over an actual law is perfect.

the GameDays merch will ring up at full price at first, but will auto-correct and change when the employee goes to select a payment type. Once that screen comes up, the real price will show up. Tell them to hit F12. ;)

That I no longer have to worry about. I ended up getting TWO Guitar Hero guitars much cheaper. A used one at another store for $17.99, and one bundled with GH at Kmart for $24.50. I would have ended up paying more for the third party controller if I was stubborn enough about it.

I just want to mention my "wow" for today. I got a PS2 w/controller, all hookups, network adapter for $30 from a guy who was about to trade it in for cash. The manager was cool about it too.

[quote name='Tsukento']That I no longer have to worry about. I ended up getting TWO Guitar Hero guitars much cheaper. A used one at another store for $17.99, and one bundled with GH at Kmart for $24.50. I would have ended up paying more for the third party controller if I was stubborn enough about it.[/quote]

will you be my xbl friend if i request you?:)

At my local gamestop everyone save for one guy is always really cool with me. I chat it up with them, they even go so far as to hold used games that get traded in if they know it's something I've been in looking for (Disgaea being the best example). Best way to piss off that dick guy, I'll pre-order anything I'm remotely interested in, or even if it just has a cool pre-order bonus (poster or whatever) with the guys I like, then if I decide not to get it, always make sure I cancel them with the guy whose a dick to me. Helps their numbers and hurts his. As an loyal customer I expect to be treated well and if you don't that's what happens.

Ha! I got asked if I wanted to preorder God of War for the PSP last week and I told them, "Why?!? It doesn't even come out until the end of the year." And it's not like I couldn't find it for cheaper when it does anyways.

Mall gamestops are THE worst shitholes of retail. Never even bother unless you want to feel like you need a shower at that particular point in the day.

[quote name='jer7583']Mall gamestops are THE worst shitholes of retail. Never even bother unless you want to feel like you need a shower at that particular point in the day.[/QUOTE]

I just went to a Gamestop in a strip mall and got the best customer service I ever received at a GS ;)

I bought the last Grim Grimoire, it was the display copy, but they switched out the cases for me so I got a non stickered case, and then resealed it for me. It was pretty rad.

I don't like shopping at Gamestop at all but this is the only decent one in the city so it's worth the 15 - 20 minute drive.

There is a Gamestop here that the manager *made up his own rules*, such as any credit you get CANNOT be put on a card and MUST be spent at the store right then or else you would lose it. Later I found out he was making it all up just to boost his own numbers, which was working, so the DM just let him do what he wanted. I remember losing $1.50 in credit because it was leftover and well, GS had nothing for sale for $1.50. When I found out why nothing ever happened to the guy, well, I wasn't surprised.

One Gamestop here, the manager got dibs on every rare game that came in and was Ebaying them. He eventually got moved to a shitty store way about 30 minutes away, I was told because they wanted him to quit rather than fire him. The only reason corporate eventually stepped in was because the ASM wanted his job and squealed on him, cause I guess the manager bragged about his Ebaying.

All EB's / GS's constantly lie about the store locator on the website being "off" because they are holding games for themselves. I saw the hold drawer once, and it was full of the games the website said they had 1 - 3 of but they had to tell people there were 0 there since employees were holding them for a long time. When Gitaroo Man was still rare and worth almost $100, a manager at an EB sold me one that had been in the hold drawer for TWO MONTHS because he was sick of the constant phone calls about it.

I used to have a hook up in EB who would dish all sorts of things like this out to me, it was good times.

the gamestop by me used to be cool..the manager holded all the psx games for me during the 75% off sale so i can get first dibs..was fun but he left and now there is assholes

It's funny, I work at GameStop and my store is really organised and very very clean mainly because I am there actually caring how my work environment is. Once I quit though, this place is going to hell.

Well today I went on the look for Sonic games at different stores nearby. I used that store locater that all GameStop stores have in there computers and found 2 stores with all the games. My oh my, was it horrible. This one store that was only 2 years old looked like total crap. It looked as if a elephant walked in, read a newspaper, then had a fight with a gorilla. Their back counter was cluttered with junk along with tons of crap in the case. I found 2 of the games and one game I had to ask. He said he didn't have it when the computer that same day said it did. Didn't even bother fighting cause ebay has it anyways. What a douche.

Another store had this skinny guy who was totally ripped and toned staring at me. Must of been roids. The one person there helped me find one GBA game, but this store felt so damp and horrible. I hated it and it was dirty as balls especially since it was dark.

In conclusion, I see how many of you feel going to these stores. I have the luck of working at one that is very awesome and completely clean and I see that when all the customers come in happy and not miserable. Granted we stole many customers from the nearby GameStops because of this and are even more busy, but I'm still glad I can have 100% service for me and to the nice customers.

bread's done
Back