My gripe about Fable.

mcwilliams132

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
[EDITED 9.17]

I finally made it to graduation last night (after having to re-do my training)and I have to admit that the save options after you become a hero is good. I even failed at a quest (hobbes challenge with Wisper on the old farm) and it restarted that quest...not to bad

However...I still stand by my critisism that saving should be availabe from the get-go.

Anyways...I'm having a blast with Fable now.

[original post]

This is a gripe about Fable but also games in general...

Why can't they allow you to save at any time (ala KOTOR)?!

I can't for-the-life-of-me find a manual save option in Fable and have ONLY seen it auto-save at milestones within the game.

I put it in the first night it came out, played till you family is killed and you're about to head to the guild, but quit...

Loaded from the initial autosave and had to start from the beginning.

Now I'm about 1hr into the game and am about half way through my training (now a young man)...but quit last night. I'm guessing I'm going to have to start from the begining of my training - which sucks!

It's hard to get into the "Go anywhere, do anything" mindset when you have to retrace your steps all the time.

How annoying.

I may be missing something regarding saving but I doubt it as the manul says NOTHING about saving your game. There is a HERO SAVE which just records your experience and stats. I have not run into a "save point" either in which to save my game.

Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?!
----

That being said...I wish game developers would at least think about "save options" once in a while. There have been plenty of games that don't have manual save spots or if there are save points...they're few and far between.

Other than that...I'm having a blast with Fable.

Actually, you can save wherever you want. Just press "start" and you should see it as one of the options; I think it says "World Save" or something.

Thanks...I'll look tonight...

I did look through the start menu (duh)...but didn't see anything that explicitly said SAVE or even WORLD SAVE...I saw HERO SAVE...but that was it.

It's kind-of frustrating (maybe I'm just having a frustrating day...). It's kind of like when I started playing Otogi and couldn't find a save option but then find it burried under the OPTIONS menu...go figure.

[quote name='mcwilliams132']Thanks...I'll look tonight...

I did look through the start menu (duh)...but didn't see anything that explicitly said SAVE or even WORLD SAVE...I saw HERO SAVE...but that was it.

It's kind-of frustrating (maybe I'm just having a frustrating day...). It's kind of like when I started playing Otogi and couldn't find a save option but then find it burried under the OPTIONS menu...go figure.[/quote]

I am pretty sure you only get the world save option once you complete your training. Try to set about 2 hours aside to get throught the training and then you can save anytime.

[quote name='Othergods'][quote name='mcwilliams132']Thanks...I'll look tonight...

It's kind-of frustrating (maybe I'm just having a frustrating day...). It's kind of like when I started playing Otogi and couldn't find a save option but then find it burried under the OPTIONS menu...go figure.[/quote]

I am pretty sure you only get the world save option once you complete your training. Try to set about 2 hours aside to get throught the training and then you can save anytime.[/quote]

Thanks...I'll check that as well...

But that goes back to my original point...how annoying is it to have to rehash your entire training (which essesially starts building your character) from the begining just becuase you have to quit?

Hero save is when your in the middle of a quest, it only saves ur items, xp and all that stuff except ur progress in the quest. When you're done with the quest, World Save replaces Hero Save, and world saves where ever you are in the game. Including indoor (ala Hero Guild). Hope that helps.

Also if ur looking to make a lot of cash, Blackjack game is the best way to go. Its in the Darkwood campsite. I'm about 2hrs in the game with Plate armor set and Master sword (30k sword) from the Hero Guild. :lol:

[quote name='PaulEMoz']Really, anything with the word "SAVE" in it should be a bit of a giveaway.[/quote]
yea I have to agree that something with the word SAVE in it is kind of a giveaway.

[quote name='havok2164'][quote name='PaulEMoz']Really, anything with the word "SAVE" in it should be a bit of a giveaway.[/quote]
yea I have to agree that something with the word SAVE in it is kind of a giveaway.[/quote]

You guys are really funny. :roll:

When you start the game you cannot save your spot. I've scowered the menus and it's not there.

If anyone can start a new game...play for 15min and save your spot and reload it to that location...I'll eat crow. But I'm telling you...it's not there.

If you want to prove me wrong...post a screen shot of a fresh, newly started game witht he save option showing.

[quote name='mcwilliams132'][quote name='havok2164'][quote name='PaulEMoz']Really, anything with the word "SAVE" in it should be a bit of a giveaway.[/quote]
yea I have to agree that something with the word SAVE in it is kind of a giveaway.[/quote]

You guys are really funny. :roll:

When you start the game you cannot save your spot. I've scowered the menus and it's not there.

If anyone can start a new game...play for 15min and save your spot and reload it to that location...I'll eat crow. But I'm telling you...it's not there.

If you want to prove me wrong...post a screen shot of a fresh, newly started game witht he save option showing.[/quote]

I know for a fact you can save once you're into the heroes guild.. so don't play it until you have 20 minutes to sit down and get started... although I doubt there's really a problem there. :roll:

newbie6.jpg

Now my gripe about Fable.... I'm only a few hours in but so far I've noticed that A. I cannot figure out how to map my expressions to my D-pad, B. In the tutorial they tell you to push the black button to draw your sword when in reality it's the white button and C. In the race to the Demon Door thing, if you fail, the next time you try it it won't work and you have to fail and try again (basically works every other time).

I do hope it doesn't end up riddled with glitches.

[quote name='gokou36']Isn't Fable an MMORPG or is it like Diablo where you can play offline as well?[/quote]
No, its a single player off-line RPG.

[quote name='gokou36']Isn't Fable an MMORPG or is it like Diablo where you can play offline as well?[/quote]

Wow, with the rediculous amount of hype.. I didn't know anyone was that far off on what Fable is.

Anyhow, has anyone figured out mapping the d-pad or is just broken? Oh, and be careful with flirting, I've got way too many women that won't stop bugging me for a wedding ring now.

I must be doind something wrong, I flirt with everyone all the ladies in the bar and only had one that would follow me. but nothing else.

[quote name='Othergods']I must be doind something wrong, I flirt with everyone all the ladies in the bar and only had one that would follow me. but nothing else.[/quote]

Well I'm very good (alignment), have rediculously high attractiveness and have given some chocolates.. that's probably a good part of it.

I am pretty evil (Got little horns), but very attractive, got a nice haircut and goat :) and a nice black suit. I will start giving gifts and see how that goes.

Has anyone done any boasts on their quests yet? I did the 2nd quest with the "No Healing" boast.

[quote name='Snowcone']It's a wonderful thing that these are the worst complaints I have seen about Fable.[/quote]

Notice I've found a couple glitches already... I love the game, but I worry.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='gokou36']Isn't Fable an MMORPG or is it like Diablo where you can play offline as well?[/quote]

Wow, with the rediculous amount of hype.. I didn't know anyone was that far off on what Fable is.

Anyhow, has anyone figured out mapping the d-pad or is just broken? Oh, and be careful with flirting, I've got way too many women that won't stop bugging me for a wedding ring now.[/quote]

Yeah. Go to Expressions and instead of "use" there is a listing of mappings. They work for me just fine.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='Snowcone']It's a wonderful thing that these are the worst complaints I have seen about Fable.[/quote]

Notice I've found a couple glitches already... I love the game, but I worry.[/quote]

I see that, but Kotor was glitch ridden and it is still one of the best RPGs ever.

[quote name='cornfedwb']Anyhow, has anyone figured out mapping the d-pad or is just broken? [/quote]

AFAIK, if you're trying to put emoticons or whatever they're called on the DPad, hold right trigger and they come up...

[quote name='Snowcone'][quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='gokou36']Isn't Fable an MMORPG or is it like Diablo where you can play offline as well?[/quote]

Anyhow, has anyone figured out mapping the d-pad or is just broken? Oh, and be careful with flirting, I've got way too many women that won't stop bugging me for a wedding ring now.[/quote]

Yeah. Go to Expressions and instead of "use" there is a listing of mappings. They work for me just fine.[/quote]

I've seen to press up to get to the menu, then press right to find your expression, then press right again to map to a certain direction, but then what do you press? When I go out of the menu, its back to what it was before.

i agree with glitches in KOTOR...i had more then 20 random freezes when playing my game..i stuck with it and beat it but it is very frustrating..

My complaint about the game: I went to Blockbuster today to rent it and they were like, yeah we will have it tomorrow. I was like oh thats a bummer, ok... Then the manager was like, yeah actually, I have a whole bunch of them right here and I looked. He then chuckled and said, but I can't sell or rent them till tomorrow because it doesn't release till tomorrow...

Anyway, I went to the store a block away and bought it.

Blockbuster is retarded.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='Snowcone'][quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='gokou36']Isn't Fable an MMORPG or is it like Diablo where you can play offline as well?[/quote]

Yeah. Go to Expressions and instead of "use" there is a listing of mappings. They work for me just fine.[/quote]

I've seen to press up to get to the menu, then press right to find your expression, then press right again to map to a certain direction, but then what do you press? When I go out of the menu, its back to what it was before.[/quote]

You're in the right area...just find the emotion you want to map, then select the d-pad option you want (up, down, left, right) from the list of choices, there are several pictures to choose from, the I think you hit right on the d-pad to map it.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']In the race to the Demon Door thing, if you fail, the next time you try it it won't work and you have to fail and try again (basically works every other time).
[/quote]

I thought you had to fail to try again, but you just have to talk to the guy again. The camera gets in your way in this part, so I had to get a good running start to get the timing down. If you talk to the apprentice with less than 50 secs left you'll fail and will be able to start it over again without waiting.

[quote name='magilacudy'][quote name='Cornfedwb']In the race to the Demon Door thing, if you fail, the next time you try it it won't work and you have to fail and try again (basically works every other time).
[/quote]

I thought you had to fail to try again, but you just have to talk to the guy again. The camera gets in your way in this part, so I had to get a good running start to get the timing down. If you talk to the apprentice with less than 50 secs left you'll fail and will be able to start it over again without waiting.[/quote]

Right, but ever other time I tried it, the timer wouldn't come up at all. Now I was also trying this repetively while a child without knowing about the run button... so I was spending quite alot of time trying to get there and back quickly.

I still can't get to and fro the Demon Door under 50 sec. I tried as a child and an apprentice (using the B button). Do you actually have to "talk" to the door or do you just have to clear the stones over the water?

* I agree, some times the timer does not come up.

[quote name='bradr']I still can't get to and fro the Demon Door under 50 sec. I tried as a child and an apprentice (using the B button). Do you actually have to "talk" to the door or do you just have to clear the stones over the water?

* I agree, some times the timer does not come up.[/quote]

I talked to the door, so I know that works.. and I was very very close.. you don't have to be right on him to talk to him, so just start wildly hitting A when you get close to him.

No need to talk to the door, It is all in your turn around at the door, that is the key to your speed of the run.

Also make sure you line your self up before you talk to him and start hitting the talk button whith like 3 seconds left as you approach him.

[quote name='bradr']I still can't get to and fro the Demon Door under 50 sec. I tried as a child and an apprentice (using the B button). Do you actually have to "talk" to the door or do you just have to clear the stones over the water?

* I agree, some times the timer does not come up.[/quote]

Anyone tried leveling up their speed to get to the door. I've leveled up, but haven't tried the race again.

lso if ur looking to make a lot of cash, Blackjack game is the best way to go. Its in the Darkwood campsite. I'm about 2hrs in the game with Plate armor set and Master sword (30k sword) from the Hero Guild

Me too, except I made my cash playing Memory in the bar in that first new town you get to. You can't lose at that game if you're halfway awake. I also woo'd a barskank and married her and bought the house in that town, so my Fable dude is off to a good start.

[quote name='redgopher']
newbie6.jpg
[/quote]

Watch it monkey-boy...I've been playing games longer than you've been alive...

There is no save option in the early stages of the game.

[quote name='Othergods']No need to talk to the door, It is all in your turn around at the door, that is the key to your speed of the run.

Also make sure you line your self up before you talk to him and start hitting the talk button whith like 3 seconds left as you approach him.[/quote]
The instant I get off those stones, I make a u-turn and go back and it let me pass with a whopping 1 second left. I tried it once as a kid and in another game file when I was still training. There's no need to actually walk/run all the way to the door, the grass is fine. :D

[quote name='iloveqtchickz']Where is this demon door race you speak of?[/quote]

When you wake up for your first day of training at the Heros Guild, you'll have to follow what's-her-face outside to your trainer. You'll pass a man boasting about how fast he is, and he'll challenge you to beat his time. It's odd that everyone is having trouble doing it. I did it on the second try.

agreed...two tries for me.....fable rules complete ass....and no...you can't do an "anytime" save though much of the training...it's kinda odd

bread's done
Back