My hinge has cracked :(

My hinge cracked too!

I called Nintendo up and they are going to a warranty repair. It was the easiest thing ever. The phone call lasted less than 4 minutes. I should get mine repaired within two weeks! That's great.

[quote name='johnnypark']Hmm... I wonder if they just replace the top portion since that's where the crack is, or if they re-do the whole thing? I have half a mind to call and ask if they could give me a black top instead of a white one, and get a 1/2 white 1/2 black one. That would be so awesome.[/QUOTE]I think that would look fucking retarded. IMO, of course.

Mine hasn't cracked yet, gotta check the girlfriends though.....

hey by the way, can you guys see my signature? it should be all my Friend codes, it won't display on my computer screen for some reason. only in preview mode

[quote name='rygar']So, just for clarification, the problem with the cracking is affecting white ds lites only? I'm getting a black one soon and you guys are starting to make me worried.[/QUOTE]

I bought a black one in mid-February, I treat it very gingerly, and it's already got a hinge crack. So... no.

found a crack on my DS lite yesterday, I check a few times a week for the crack, and it finally showed up ;_;

the thing is, not sure if i should call up Nintendo yet or not. I do have Hori screen protectors on it, so i really don't feel like doing anything since it seems fine atm. blah i dunno..

[quote name='Moxio']Wow, this cracking business is very intimidating to potential buyers.[/QUOTE]

It's just cosmetic afaik, but definitely a real pita. I still need to call Nintendo about having mine repaired. I'll probably end up just letting the full year go by and not bother doing it. Don't really feel like being without my DS for a week or two. The past few months I haven't played it much and should have gotten it taken care of then. Oh well.

[quote name='Moxio']Wow, this cracking business is very intimidating to potential buyers.[/quote]

Indeed. It's the one thing I'm worried about now that I've got a DS Lite. I don't think I'd be as bothered if it wasn't for the fact that getting it repaired means you get a refurbed DS... and I'd hate to trade in a pristine DS for one that's been scratched up.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Indeed. It's the one thing I'm worried about now that I've got a DS Lite. I don't think I'd be as bothered if it wasn't for the fact that getting it repaired means you get a refurbed DS... and I'd hate to trade in a pristine DS for one that's been scratched up.[/quote]

Ok, see, there's a reason why people PRAISE Nintendo's customer service. You're not going to get a scratched up DS lite.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Indeed. It's the one thing I'm worried about now that I've got a DS Lite. I don't think I'd be as bothered if it wasn't for the fact that getting it repaired means you get a refurbed DS... and I'd hate to trade in a pristine DS for one that's been scratched up.[/QUOTE]
All they are going to do is just change the housing on the DS Lite.

[quote name='Rasen']Ok, see, there's a reason why people PRAISE Nintendo's customer service. You're not going to get a scratched up DS lite.[/quote]

I'm aware of their customer service quality. It's still bothersome, however, knowing that you won't be receiving your own DS back.

Although, iazy's comment above this post leads me to believe you do actually get your own DS back, which is surprising. I thought they gave you a refurb, and sent yours out to someone else down the road once they fix it.

Either way, I don't doubt Nintendo.

sent mine in after the hinge cracked, with a note inside indicating that i would prefer that they repair/fixed rather than send back a refurb. i had hori protectors on both screens. i thought they would fix it, since their csr insisted that i send a note with mine, but removed the protectors anyway just in case. sure enough, when i got it back, the ds was replaced. different s/n. luckily, it did not have any dead or stuck pixels and the screens were mounted straight. volume slider is looser than my original one and the replacement has a shorter battery life than before.

what the csr may not tell you is that you should keep the stylus and the slot-2 cover when you send yours in for repairs. i would also keep the battery, unless it's shitty.

i sent mine in last week for the hinge crack and got it back today. 7 day turn around. i got back a ds lite with the same serial number so i assume its the same one i sent in w/ just the hinge replaced.

they may have installed something backwards as the top clam now snaps into place when i open it about 10 degrees and no longer snaps into place when opened to 170 degrees. anybody else have this happen to them?

I noticed one morning after waking up to play some puzzle quest that my left hinge was cracked too. I'm assuming it's just a hardware defect since I don't throw my ds around and I'm not rough with it either. I also have a ds phat with a broken top screen. anyone know if I send it in to nintendo they'll fix it for a fee?

I bought my DS lite on launch day and my hinge just cracked. It is a rather large crack but my DS has had other problems also (It won't read DS games sometimes and sometimes the low battery light won't come on before it dies.) Other then that my DS is in great shape without one scratch and I have played it to death.

I will be giving Nintendo a call later.

Alright, so my Lites hinge cracked a couple days ago. Today I called up Nintendo to get it sent in and replaced/repaired. The guy told me that the hinge crack isn't covered under warranty and that I was going to have to pay $75 to get it replaced. So what the heck am I supposed to do to get these people to give me a new freakin DS, because I am not paying $75 for their freaking design flaw.

[quote name='Malevoiy']Alright, so my Lites hinge cracked a couple days ago. Today I called up Nintendo to get it sent in and replaced/repaired. The guy told me that the hinge crack isn't covered under warranty and that I was going to have to pay $75 to get it replaced. So what the heck am I supposed to do to get these people to give me a new freakin DS, because I am not paying $75 for their freaking design flaw.[/QUOTE]
Just live with it. It's only cosmetical. Mine has been cracked for a while, and still operates perfectly fine.

I bought my DS Lite BEFORE launch (thanks Target), and I got my broken hinge fixed a month ago. Call again because Nintendo will fix it.

I just got my launch DS Lite back today. I sent it to them to get the crack fixed on Monday. Very fast turnaround time.

It has the same serial number as before. I also sent mine without a battery and got a battery sent back with it. When I turned it on, it went through the settings screens again. I'm not sure if they replaced the insides of my DS as well as the part with the cracked hinge... or if it's like that because I sent it off to them without a battery in it and the memory was reset.

At least I have it back and it works fine with no dead pixels. It doesn't make the loud clicking sound anymore when I open it up all the way, I'm guessing that's a good sign that it won't crack again.

To Malevoiy, just try again if you want your Lite fixed. Mine was still covered under warranty and I didn't have to pay anything to ship it or get it fixed.

[quote name='daroga']I've had a launch Lite imported from Japan and have no crack issues. I wonder why some of these are goofing up.[/QUOTE]
If I remember yours is the light blue one. And I don't find it that surprising since most of these cases were with the white American ones.

I didn't notice my hinge was cracked until after I played Hotel Dusk (playing with my Lite open all the way) back at the end of January. I have played other games before where you're more likely to play with the DS all the way open (Brain Age), but I don't think it was cracked back then. But who knows, it could've been cracked for a long time before I noticed it.

I guess they did replace the insides of my Lite too because it has a new MAC address and now I have to reset all of my friend codes.

Just noticed a cracked hinge this morning. With only two days left on the one year warranty I called the big N right away. After the initial exchange of information the CS rep put me on hold for a minute, when he came back he started saying how the crack is caused by physical trauma, blah blah blah... BUT, since this was a launch unit they would fix it for free. Whew... I thought for a second they were going to pull a Microsoft and make me pay for their design defect. And, for the record, this DS Lite has been babied since day one. So it looks like I'll be sending two packages out this week, a dead 360 and a cracked DS Lite. UPS must be loving this.

)-(

6bud20j.jpg

This just isn't my day.

Got my DS Lite back today, pixels fixed and hinge uncracked. It's like getting that new DS Lite smell without the price of a new DS! Hurrah. Now to make sure this one doesn't get scratched to high heaven.

thank god I have a nintendo service center in my city. All I had to do was tell them about the defect, take down my information, and recieve a new ds lite. It took a grand total of 5 minutes

[quote name='halu102']Just live with it. It's only cosmetical. Mine has been cracked for a while, and still operates perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]If I want an ugly DS, I'd paint it poop brown.

Just want to note to those who are thinking about the replacement shock cases for the DSL that those may not be the best route either.

Before the NDScentral forums got wiped there were many people complaining they had hinge cracks only after a little bit of usage iirc.

So if you do go that route, be warned that their claims about getting rid of the hinge cracking issue seem to be false.

[quote name='halu102']Just live with it. It's only cosmetical. Mine has been cracked for a while, and still operates perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Doesn't bother me at all. Not worth the risk of getting a unit with dead/stuck pixels when mine has pristine screens.

Well my launch day polar white DS Lite finally just blew a hinge. Thought I was in the clear by this point, but apparently not.

So it's almost three months after the last post here. Any hope of getting Nintendo to fix this? I registered my unit as soon as I got it. No idea if my warranty's still good. Probably not. I may try to live with it for a while, as my system is in great shape in all other respects, and the idea of having to reset all of my friend codes, plus the specter of possible dead pixels or an otherwise gimped replacement scares me.

On the other hand, suddenly my system is occasionally not reading DS carts on the first power up, which is worrisome. I don't know what to do. =(

[quote name='utopianmachine']Edit: Shit. Screwed up my post. No way I'm going to retype all that.[/quote]

Umm...Thanks? :roll:

[quote name='Tybee']Well my launch day polar white DS Lite finally just blew a hinge. Thought I was in the clear by this point, but apparently not.

So it's almost three months after the last post here. Any hope of getting Nintendo to fix this? I registered my unit as soon as I got it. No idea if my warranty's still good. Probably not. I may try to live with it for a while, as my system is in great shape in all other respects, and the idea of having to reset all of my friend codes, plus the specter of possible dead pixels or an otherwise gimped replacement scares me.

On the other hand, suddenly my system is occasionally not reading DS carts on the first power up, which is worrisome. I don't know what to do. =([/quote]

My system doesn't read carts once in awhile, too, but I haven't noticed it getting any worse or frequent.

Regarding your hinge, I'm happy to say that since my original post in March, my DS is in otherwise perfect shape. The crack hasn't gotten any worse and it's completely functional, so based on my own experience I wouldn't worry about it too much.

[quote name='johnnypark']My system doesn't read carts once in awhile, too, but I haven't noticed it getting any worse or frequent.

Regarding your hinge, I'm happy to say that since my original post in March, my DS is in otherwise perfect shape. The crack hasn't gotten any worse and it's completely functional, so based on my own experience I wouldn't worry about it too much.[/quote]

That's comforting and makes me feel a little less paranoid. Thanks!

when my hinge cracked i asked nintendo and they didnt mention anything about replacing it for free. i bought it only about a month after launch. however when my power button crapped out they quickly sent me a new one in exchange for my messed up one. it had two dead pixels but i dont really care it was nice to get a new white ds :)

my polar white one is really bad, it has the hinge cracked on both sides now, i wonder if i can get them to do it for free. i called them last week and they said walk it in for $56.

vert

hori

new

new

old crack

I find it stupid how they won't fix the hinge crack for free now if it's out of warranty. Honestly, the hinge breaks by itself and that is not the user's fault. It's the product's fault and therefore should be covered by Nintendo.

My Old DS had the hinge crack, but it did not fall apart, it just couldn't hold the screen up. So it'd either have to be held up by the person or it'd have to be played at a 180 degree angle.

Damn, I've never had the hinge crack on 3 DS lites. Well, one "hinge" was broken but that was due to abuse. It actually wasn't the hinge but the part between the hinge and the L button. That DS had to be replaced with a crimson DS after the top screen wouldn't work.

My beloved other half recently dropped my black DS and the part where the charge light is completely broke off. It still works, though. Gorilla glue FTW.

Hinge cracking is still a problem? Good grief!

I had my hinge crack 2 years ago on my Fatty, but they fixed it for free.

Thinking of getting the DSi this year but with the hinge cracking problem porting over that is not good.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Hinge cracking is still a problem? Good grief!

I had my hinge crack 2 years ago on my Fatty, but they fixed it for free.

Thinking of getting the DSi this year but with the hinge cracking problem porting over that is not good.[/QUOTE]

I think it's more people who have launch DS Lites who are suddenly exhibiting the problem, not new DS Lites.

The hinge on my launch DS lite cracked probably close to 2 years ago.

Still doesn't bother me as it works fine. *shrugs*

Anyone know if GS will accept a DS with a cracked hinge as part of their "trade in 2 DS games + your old DS" and get a new DS for $50 deal? Seems like a decent deal if your warranty is up and you have a couple of games for trade-in fodder.

my crack got huge and the entire rt side of the courner of the ds cracked off while playing the guitar hero for ds.. i guess the hand grip put pressure on the crack?... i super glued it mine was a launch light and they quit fixing launch systems like a year ago at least that's what i remember being told... the superglue works, but i think game stop would notice it if i traded it in... i already bought a new one.

[quote name='keithp']Anyone know if GS will accept a DS with a cracked hinge as part of their "trade in 2 DS games + your old DS" and get a new DS for $50 deal? Seems like a decent deal if your warranty is up and you have a couple of games for trade-in fodder.[/quote]

Unfortunately if its cracked they will not. The screen can be completely scratched like heck and dirty as hell, but if there is a crack in it, they are not allowed to accept it. But also depends on the guy there. If its a small hinge crack, I dont think they will care.

My niece dropped her DS and broke the plastic area around the power indicator. Made it so the lid of the DS would become unhinged when opening it.

Took it to Gamestop during the extra $25 for system trade-in deal. GS tested it and deducted $20 from the trade-in as a refurbishing fee. She wound up with $50 trade-in credit.

bread's done
Back