My Hospital Adventure or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the PCA

Mr Unoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
Story time:

Well I just had an interesting two weeks. I'll start off by saying I am a 30 year old man who has never had any health problems or any serious reason to go to a doctor.

About a month ago, I was having stomach problems and would occasionally vomit a little over night and feel crappy, but in 24 hours, I would be back to normal. I would get these bouts about once a week. I was in the process of getting blood work to my GP to see if it was something with my diet (I thought it might be gas). I never got that far.

On Friday Sept. 28 I got sick again but this time it did not go away in the 24 hours and I was having trouble keeping down any food or drink. By Sunday I was still in pain and vomiting up stomach acid and bile so it was time to head to the emergency room. Most of the people I talked to did not have an idea what it could be since I had never had abdominal surgery before, which would be the main culprit for something like that (scar tissue from a surgery).

I was given a CT scan and they found two polyps and a much larger mass and was set for a colonoscopy the next day to remove the polyps an get a better idea what the mass was. They were able to remove the polyps without a problem the but the mass was so large, they could not see past it and it this point they feared it was a tumor, possibly cancerous.

The plan was to go in the next day for surgery, have most of my colon removed and whatever is left would be reattached like normal. This would remove the mass and they could also get a look further down the colon to see if there was anything else that could be blocking the way. This would also let me avoid having a colostomy bag and according to the surgeons, I would be more or less back to normal in a year.

The surgery went fine and they were able to remove everything that they needed to and reattach my colon. After a few days, the biopsy came back from the tumor and luckily, the cancer did not spread to the lymph nodes, but did pass through the colon wall, which would put the cancer at basically a stage two. I am planning on getting chemotherapy in a month or so just to be safe any knock out anything else that may be lingering.

I got home from the hospital this Friday evening, just shy of two weeks. I still have to administer IV antibiotics 4 times a day and do some basic wound care. Feels great to be home and so much nicer to sleep in my bed. Feel really good now and am getting around fine. Plan to play a lot of games and drink a lot of tea.

Long story, but just wanted to share and see if anyone else had their own hospital adventures. Also, if anyone else has some chemo experiences. I'll be on FOL-FOX which doesn't sound too bad, but I'm sure it won't be a walk in the park either.

That's awful, but it's good to hear that you're going to recover from this. Did the doctors give you any indication what could have caused this, because my understanding is that colon cancer in men under 50 is incredibly rare. Do you have a family history of problems? I guess it just goes to show that you should never take anything for granted, and always see a doctor if you have any concerns about your health.

Glad to hear that things have turned out relatively well. Hopefully your attitude is as positive as it reads in your post and you can stay that way. It's always nice to hear stories about CAG's overcoming cancer.

Came here for a light-hearted story and thread did not deliver! 1 starred...;)

Wow man, you are one brave SOB talking about it like you were telling us about walking to the corner store to buy some twinkies.

Good luck and make CAG proud by beating the shit out of that cancer!

Thanks everyone.

The doctors were pretty floored and don't necessarily have an answer as to why it happened to young. I don't have any family history, but from the reading I've done since I've gotten home, these symptoms sound pretty common, they should just have happened to me in 25 years.

I am in great spirits, I really feel good, am able to move around the house and get up and down stairs. Worst part is we need to get up at 12:30 am to do an IV infusion which lasts 30 min and then get up again at 6:30 am for the next one.

Other than that, I'm usually good for 3 or 4 hours then I need a nap and start all over again.

First of all, good on ya for going in and getting it checked out.

Second, I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Third, you reminded me that I should get another colonoscopy this year.

My mom had colon cancer, so it's even more important for me to get checked out every couple years. I'll be 40 next year, and they say everyone should get checked at that age.

Also,
fuck cancer.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Thanks everyone.

The doctors were pretty floored and don't necessarily have an answer as to why it happened to young. I don't have any family history, but from the reading I've done since I've gotten home, these symptoms sound pretty common, they should just have happened to me in 25 years.

I am in great spirits, I really feel good, am able to move around the house and get up and down stairs. Worst part is we need to get up at 12:30 am to do an IV infusion which lasts 30 min and then get up again at 6:30 am for the next one.

Other than that, I'm usually good for 3 or 4 hours then I need a nap and start all over again.[/QUOTE]

glad everything worked out for you and get well soon.. you never know how fast something can hit you

one of these days i need to go get my gallbladder looked at cause getting some signs of those problem .. never knew pain in your shoulder could be gallballder problem

[quote name='slidecage']glad everything worked out for you and get well soon.. you never know how fast something can hit you

one of these days i need to go get my gallbladder looked at cause getting some signs of those problem .. never knew pain in your shoulder could be gallballder problem[/QUOTE]

With your luck, you'll end up with 17 types of cancer in your lifetime.

---

Hope you fully recover, Mr Unoriginal.

Nothing remotely close to that. Glad they caught it when they did and I wish you a full recovery. Hopefully, the chemo won't be too harsh. On the bright side, I suppose it's lots of time to game.

Good luck, and good riddance to your cantankerous cancer. If you really were Amish, I'd be more fearful of your future. Or are the Amish cool with chemo?

Best of luck, OP. Keep those spirits up and try to enjoy some things when/where/how you can.

There is a saying: "the hotter the fire... the stronger the steel." When you beat this thing, you will have wisdom beyond your years and be a better person for it.

Best advice I can give is that if or when things get really tough, just keep trying!

Keep us informed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Little bit of an update:
I'm set to start chemo on November 12. I guess it's better to get it over with, but I'm just starting to feel like my normal self again and I was hoping to get a few weeks of not thinking about hospital stuff, but I guess it's not meant to be. I'll be doing chemo for 24 weeks with treatments happening every other week. I'm not particularly worried about the treatment, but I thought it was funny when I met with my oncologist he told me that the side effects get worse over time so that according to him, by the end of the treatment I will have had my ass kicked by the chemo.

Small update, I started chemo today. I have sort of a strange regimen: I go to the hospital for about 3 hours to get the first two drugs via IV. Then the third drug is put in a little box that I carry around and take home for me. That drug gets infused for the next 46 hours, so I'll be living with it until Wednesday afternoon. Then I'm off the rest of the week and the following week. Treatment lasts for 24 weeks.

Wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm already feeling achy and definitely nauseous already. One of the strangest side effects from this type of chemo is an extreme reaction to cold. If I touch something cold it will feel like I'm getting burned. Drinking a cold drink almost feels like swallowing glass (but not painful). I have to wear gloves to reach into the refrigerator and when I'm out in the winter have a scarf covering my mouth, gloves, hat, the whole 9 yards. Thought it might not effect me for a few treatments, but I had some water a little colder than room temp and it did feel strange going down, almost as if the water had a texture.

Strange and crappy experience to be sure, but nice to know that in 6 months it will all be behind me.

Hang in there, bro. I take it you aren't going into work or anything, right? If that's the case, screw cold stuff and screw going outside. Stay inside and game your ass off and drink hot chocolate.

Stay strong!

Well, believe it or not, it's been 6 months and 12 treatments and I'm done with this bullshit. I have a CAT scan in a few weeks to make sure everything is cleared up but I'm not anticipating any future problems. Besides getting CT scans every 3 months as well as colonoscopies more often than I would like, my days of chemo and cancer should be well behind me. Good riddance!

bread's done
Back