My Japanse Coach DS - 19.99 Fulfilled By Amazon

Miro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Edit: 5/17/11, 11:03 pm - Due in-stock again (5/19) for 19.99! Get them while you can!

This is a super hard to find game. Sold by a third party seller, Hubbagames, but Fulfilled by Amazon. My experiences with Hubbagames has been pretty positive and I'd recommend buying from them. The fact that it's FBA means if something is wrong with the item, you can always just return it! Only a couple copies left, so get them while you can!

http://www.amazon.com/My-Japanese-Coach-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001BZ8EX8

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='martyback']lol, are you serious? You think this game will somehow inspire you to take on an entire language that has 3 different sets of characters, a very particular focus on separating formal/informal speech, the most differences in speaking between males and females (hiragana was originally a script made only for females) and is, well, an entirely different language?

I mean, go ahead and buy it, it's ultimately your choice but don't expect too much.[/QUOTE]Hah, I have as much of a desire to grasp that much understanding of Japanese as I do English. No, I just want to be able to have a conversation.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']And I don't care for people who seem arrogant enough to tell others to calm down... ;) I am genuinely surprised to find myself mildly annoyed and defensive enough to make a few responses....in fact I think it's the first time I've ever done that in any forum. I s'pose I'm still a newbie in a sense....

As for value, it's currently 44.88 on Amazon... :razz:[/QUOTE]

Everything is K! if you end your responses wtih, "but it doesn't matter anyway because we're both gonna die eventually" you'll feel better!

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']Hah, I have as much of a desire to grasp that much understanding of Japanese as I do English. No, I just want to be able to have a conversation.[/QUOTE]

But you have to have a grasp on those things to even have a conversation. I've been taking a year of academic Japanese and at best I could converse with preschoolers (I watched a video of preschool in Japan and while I understood the things the preschoolers were saying, my ability to speak doesn't go much further). Japanese grammar is immensely complicated especially for someone who's not familiar with the kind of grammar structure it has. Hell, my first language is Korean which is supposed to be very similar to Japanese grammar-wise and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Just learning present tense and past tense is easy enough but when you start learning conjugations plus te-form grammar in present/past and then short form (in addition to differences in ways of saying polite things and impolite things) and conjugating for that and then the way all these things run together to form different grammar items, you really have to focus to get a grasp on it.

And those are needed to speak Japanese coherently. Otherwise you'll just be robotic and saying things like "I woke up. Then I ate breakfast. I eat lunch now. I work part time at 5 PM. I sleep at 11 PM" (Watashi wa okimashita. Soushite, watashi wa asagohan o tabemashita. Watashi wa ima hirugohan o tabemasu. Watashi wa go ji gogo ni arubaito o shimasu. Watashi wa jyuu ichi gogo ni nemasu). This is opposed to "I woke up and ate breakfast. Now I'm eating lunch and I intend to go to my part time job at 5 PM. I usually sleep at 11 PM." (Watashi wa okitari, asagohan tabetarishita. Ima, hirugohan tabeteite, go ji gogo ni arubaito e iku tsumorida. Taitei jyuuichi ji ni neru.). The complexity of the second set is way beyond the first despite being shorter.

[quote name='martyback']And there you go. You're just as much of a fan of Japan as any other otaku; superficially. You couldn't give a rat's ass about their current socio-economic environment or contemporary aspects of their culture. You know what's sad? The other day, a guy in my East Asian class gave a presentation and said Naruto was an accurate depiction of ninjas.

People like you.[/QUOTE]

Daaamn, this guy's goin in.

[quote name='Strell']Geez. Someone call themselves a Korean otaku already. I could have fixed this thread ages ago.[/QUOTE]

Lass uns duzen. Du bist nur 'ne hochnäsige Zicke. Tschuss.

I don't speak French, frogurt. And while we're on the subject, I'm not even convinced Korean is a country. You ever met anyone from Korean? No, you haven't. Now people say they themselves are Korean, and thus implying they are, indeed, parts of the country of Korean itself. That makes no sense. No one knows what is really going on in that part of the world. It's like ladies with their lady parts. No one knows what is going down there either. No one!

[quote name='Strell']I don't speak French, frogurt. And while we're on the subject, I'm not even convinced Korean is a country. You ever met anyone from Korean? No, you haven't. Now people say they themselves are Korean, and thus implying they are, indeed, parts of the country of Korean itself. That makes no sense. No one knows what is really going on in that part of the world. It's like ladies with their lady parts. No one knows what is going down there either. No one![/QUOTE]

Das ist...Deutsch...

I think you're trolling me now, but in case you're not, your avatar is from a South Korean commercial.

Gaeseki.

Actually it's Japanese. I am SUPER OTAKU NUMBER ONE.

Du hast nicht nein burrito, comprendes oui? Zaijian au revior natto no purple monkey dishwasher!

[quote name='Strell']Actually it's Japanese. I am SUPER OTAKU NUMBER ONE.

Du hast nicht nein burrito, comprendes oui? Zaijian au revior natto no purple monkey dishwasher![/QUOTE]

lol okay...having a bit of a breakdown there?

[quote name='Strell']So you're not going to answer my question on whether or not you have any night burritos?[/QUOTE]

What you actually said was "You don't have no burritos." What you want to ask is "Hast du nacht burritos?"

I was playing another round of "My Italian Coach." His name is Sammy and he owns a small fruit stand around the corner. We play a lot of 21 on the basketball courts. I'm teaching him English. He likes to say he has to "score the hoops to eat victory." Oh Sammy. You have a nice hook shot but no vertical leap, and arteries clogged with canoli spackle.

Since this is a new page, I'll throw in my comments as a Japanese university student of two years.

One of the things I've learned to do is mix up the ways that I learn the language. Mix up writing, speaking, conversation, drills, and the like. My Japanese Coach was kind of like another "way" or method, or at best a collection of methods. There are some fairly good drills and the writing portion is quite good.

However this program will not teach you Japanese. It will help you practice vocabulary and writing. The structure of the lessons is ok, but it can be frustrating to get hung up on a single character and be unable to move on.

Technology can be helpful or obtuse when you are trying to learn. This one can definitely be obtuse sometimes. It is good to have a structure to your learning though - trying to learn on your own outside a classroom is tough when there is so much material.

In the end I traded it in towards a DSi XL :D

I have this game and gave it a good try. It does have a phrasebook and a pretty good dictionary, so you can study the phrases and pick up some vocab. As far as teaching grammar, reading, hearing, pronounciation, and writing complete sentences, it's not very useful.

For the record, my overall Japanese ability is somewhere between JLPT N3 and N2.

There are some very nice Japan-produced games on kanji drilling and reading comprehension, as many Japanese also find Japanese fairly difficult. They are good at helping you brush up on writing and reading, and are platform-structured so you can start basic and work your way up. But unless you're at least an intermediate student, they're not easy to play, since, well, it's all in Japanese.

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']Yuck on these eco-cases. I'm going to complain to Amazon that these are clearly resealed.[/QUOTE]

Not particularly... When some random company issues a reprint some of them don't have access to the machines that do the y-fold shrinkwrapping. The cover insert, manuals, and cartridge were probably not assembled/reprinted at the same place, then they threw them all into the only available cases they had. I guess it depends on what your definition of "re"sealed is.

Technically the individual parts were not sealed to begin with until they all came together.

My copy of Darksiders PS3 from Amazon LLC was not y-fold, but I don't really think it's grounds to complain about the product. There's really no proof that it's "used," in this case it's just semantics IMO.

Just a warning, I got my copy today and it is a reseal. It has the heatwrap type shrinkwrap which looks ok but the bottom seal has a hard piece of plastic attached to it which I have never seen on a factory sealed game.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Just a warning, I got my copy today and it is a reseal. It has the heatwrap type shrinkwrap which looks ok but the bottom seal has a hard piece of plastic attached to it which I have never seen on a factory sealed game.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's so much as reseal, more of a reprint that seems exclusive to Hubbagames. While it is shrinkwrapped and NOT the Y-Fold seal, it's still a new game, and also, cheaper than where you can find anywhere else. And new games have been sold as shrinkwrap before (ie. Enslaved)

I know DS games sometimes come with the shrinkwrap and not have the y folds. What I am talking about is on the bottom of the case, where the seam is there is a piece of plastic/shrinkwrap that I have never seen on a factory sealed DS game and makes it looks like a bad reseal

Here's a picture
IMG_1031.jpg

Eh, shit happens. Who knows what crappy factory Hubba was using, that really doesn't look out of place for this sort of stuff.

Hell, my y-fold SSFIV3D's case plastic came completely screwed up, and that was on launch day shipped thru Amazon.

It doesn't really de-value the product either way... not for the $15 or so they're asking for.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I know DS games sometimes come with the shrinkwrap and not have the y folds. What I am talking about is on the bottom of the case, where the seam is there is a piece of plastic/shrinkwrap that I have never seen on a factory sealed DS game and makes it looks like a bad reseal

Here's a picture
IMG_1031.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Does the game cart have data on it? Most reseals don't even bother to clear the data on the game which is of course the easiest way to tell

bread's done
Back