My [language] Coach series - Worth it?

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Has anyone tried one or more of Ubisoft's language coach series? I'm looking into My Japanese Coach in a couple weeks, just curious how effective people have found these games to be. User reviews of the Spanish and Chinese ones have been very good.

If I had $30 to burn, I could probably get an idea myself by buying the Spanish one since I used to be somewhat fluent. But if I burn $30, might as well be on the one I want!

I only have Word coach, and since I speak Engrish it's not really helping me do anything.
I also have heard that these coaches (except for Word, :lol:) are decent.

I'm thinking about getting French & Japanese eventually.
I can't believe they don't have an Italian coach, :(

I have the French coach, and it focuses mostly on vocabulary (fairly extensive & diverse amount of words is a plus). It's nice to actually hear the words. It even has a phrase book of sorts with audio clips of each phrase. Grammar-wise, it's a bit lacking, with some simple sentence construction exercises. At least it helps me remember how to spell words, especially when they have letters with accent marks. Now, I'd imagine the Japanese coach would probably be more useful if you could practice writing kana and kanji on the touch screen.

If you are going to get them (I've used the French and Spanish ones, although not enough to form much of an opinion about, they are more fun than traditional study, which makes it easier to go back to), wait a few weeks or months after they come out. I've seen them at $10-15 at TRU.

I'll give you two opinions.

#1) I have My French Coach, and I like it. It's well-thought-out, easy to use, and divided into nice sized chunks. For what it is, which is mainly a vocabulary builder, it's very good. Lots to do, organized, and doesn't get tiresome.

#2) Right now, I'm taking a class on language acquisition. The class would say that these things are essentially useless, as they are only teaching you memorization. You'd be better off talking to people who speak the language you're interested in or reading books in the target language.

That said, I will probably pick up My Japanese and My Chinese Coaches eventually (prolly used).

Is there a German one for North America? Been looking to see and cannot find one?

I have My Spanish Coach and it's ok but not all that helpful. It's basically all vocabulary and doesn't really teach the language. It annoys me that they don't include whether nouns are masculine or feminine. The games are kinda fun. The included phrases are useful but there could be more of them.

I think I'm going to buy some computer software off of Amazon instead and see if that's more useful. There's some that have gotten good reviews and are in the $20 range.

You are not going to learn a language from your DS. The Coach series DS carts are good for what they are -- vocab trainers, and in the case of the Japanese one, a writing assistant. (The Chinese one does writing too, but it's harder.) They are a good supplement for someone who is already learning through some other means.

You're probably also not going to do all that well with a computer program, either. Most programs are the same -- they start with elementary grammar and go through a bunch of lessons and vocabulary that's really limited. It quickly becomes overwhelming for little benefit and most sane people stop.

Want to learn Spanish? Find some people that speak it and hang out with them. Supplement with reading books in Spanish at your level, even if that's children's books.

These are really better if you actually have a pre-existing knowledge of the language. If you have some elementary skills in the language and want to use it as a supplement when you are taking classes again or something, then they are nice to have since its extra practice for you at home. But the problem with these games is that if you are just trying to start fresh and expect to really learn anything, even simple vocabulary; it really isn't a game you want to do that with. But if you are taking language classes at the same time, its actually a pretty nice tool to have.

[quote name='blandstalker']You are not going to learn a language from your DS. The Coach series DS carts are good for what they are -- vocab trainers, and in the case of the Japanese one, a writing assistant. (The Chinese one does writing too, but it's harder.) They are a good supplement for someone who is already learning through some other means.

You're probably also not going to do all that well with a computer program, either. Most programs are the same -- they start with elementary grammar and go through a bunch of lessons and vocabulary that's really limited. It quickly becomes overwhelming for little benefit and most sane people stop.

Want to learn Spanish? Find some people that speak it and hang out with them. Supplement with reading books in Spanish at your level, even if that's children's books.[/QUOTE]

This is true. My girlfriend's first language is Spanish which is why I'm trying to learn as least some. Just got back from 4 weeks in Mexico, you pick some things up when it's what everyone else speaks, what every menu and all of the signs are in.

The problem is that the games are nothing more than vocab for the most part. You can spend hours with it and you'll memorize some vocab, but that's about it, you're not really learning.

If I were creating the software, I'd make it more logical, like how you learn in a class. Start with the pronunciations of the letters in Spanish, it's a lot easier to pronounce words properly when you understand the rules. Then it should focus on vocabulary. Not just the words but the gender and pronouns. And again, the rules for gender. Then conjugating the basic verbs. The putting it together to form basic sentances. Adding in adjectives and how sentance structure works since it's different than English. Have short stories build in to read that utilize what you learn. Or even short videos to watch. Again, make it like how you'd learn in a classroom.

The vocabulary is a good thing, as most people have said. Other than that I think they're crap games. The little practice mini-games are mostly worthless, except for the flashcard style ones, and you can make flashcards yourself. The Japanese one in particular teaches some grammar points in an extremely confusing way and actually teaches you to write some characters entirely wrong (plus the handwriting recognition is really sucky). If you want to supplement a class, might be worth picking it up used - I came in to the Japanese one having had a couple years of it and it's fun for a vocab review or something, good quick reading practice and good for vocabulary drills, hearing the spoken language, etc. But I wouldn't buy it full-price for sure and if you're using it as your only method of learning, don't waste your time.

bread's done
Back