My life is messed up and I need advice. So I'm asking CAG. *Update*

cochesecochese

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I'm not trying to be the3rdkey or anything, but I respect quite a few of my fellow CAGs so I thought I might as well throw a topic like this out there.

A little background: I was one of the scholarship cases at prep school, had no real guidance or interest there except a leaning towards art and animation. For a number of reasons I dropped out, burnt out and moved to Vermont where I've been a wastoid the past four years. All I've really got going for me is about 10K saved up and a brand new computer. Oh, and I'm fucking desperate to get out of here.

I'm 23 now and starting to look around. Everyone I know seems to be graduating with their degree and moving to greener pastures. I'd really like to get into a school situation where I'm going to have a chance to try out a lot of things. I'm pretty resourceful so I need more of a swift kick in the rear than I do actual facilities. I've got no attachments to this hole of a city but I would like to move somewhere I'm not going to have to buy a car.

I guess what I'm looking for most is pointers on a place I can move where all of these resources are going to be available but I'm not really asking you to hand them to me. Just tell me where they might be if you happen to know. So any of you guys have thoughts to where I should move?

**Update**

So...after it's all said and done I'm going to be staying in Vermont just a bit longer. Why, you ask? I'll explain:

This past week I had a spat of vacation time so I used it to surf around the states and see what felt good. Austin was great, except I was going to need a car in order to work and study at the same time and keep my sanity. D.C. is cool but I have family issues that prevent me from going there. NYC is the shit but I'm not quite ready for it yet.

The fact of the matter is I'm not ready to dive into all this just yet. My heart simply isn't there. I don't want to go to college. I don't want to enter the corporate sector. At all.

When I was travelling around I realized that I have much bigger problems that I need to resolve, specifically depression. I've elected to renew my lease for six months, sign up for private painting lessons (I need this) and possibly start studying aikido. I may or may not take some credit classes to refine my Spanish on top of all that. The danger of the Aikido is that it is kind of a long-term commitment that could suck me into staying here longer than I really want. I will resolve it tomorrow when the rest of the world is awake. In six months, it's wintertime, and I'm going to really and truly want to go no matter what.

If there are big changes six months from now, I will bump this again. Thankyou, everybody. You've been a big help!

[quote name='Eviltude']New Orleans! There are still tons of jobs down there waiting to be filled. Hope you speak spanish though.[/QUOTE]

Oh snap!

You need to move to a college city. Everything will be within a close proximity, and school will be so prevalent in the area that it might be easier for you to stick to it. I don't know what college cities there are near you, but here in Alabama, a perfect example would be Auburn. The college is pretty much all that city has, but still it thrives. Maybe that setup would help.

And as for a kick in the pants: if you don't get off your ass and make some serious positive life decisions soon, you're gonna be 35 and wondering what the fuck happened to your life. Get the college thing under your belt now, so you will have options in the future. You know the saying "School isn't for everyone", right? Well, it isn't. School isn't for everyone, it's just for the people who want to be successful.

Is it possible to succeed without schooling? Sure, but the chances are slim. Don't piss away these years. The older you get, the harder it is to get motivated about anything. Get moving. Now.

:D

I think that many colleges have a program where if you attend a junior college for 2 years and meet their requirements (get a certain GPA and take the required classes), then you're guaranteed admission into a 4 year university. Those programs would help you get ease your way back into school.

[quote name='the ender']You need to move to a college city. Everything will be within a close proximity, and school will be so prevalent in the area that it might be easier for you to stick to it. I don't know what college cities there are near you, but here in Alabama, a perfect example would be Auburn. The college is pretty much all that city has, but still it thrives. Maybe that setup would help.

And as for a kick in the pants: if you don't get off your ass and make some serious positive life decisions soon, you're gonna be 35 and wondering what the fuck happened to your life. Get the college thing under your belt now, so you will have options in the future. You know the saying "School isn't for everyone", right? Well, it isn't. School isn't for everyone, it's just for the people who want to be successful.

Is it possible to succeed without schooling? Sure, but the chances are slim. Don't piss away these years. The older you get, the harder it is to get motivated about anything. Get moving. Now.

:D[/QUOTE]

I 2nd Auburn, but I'm biased :). Seriously, get your ass to college and you will figure it out.

[quote name='munch']I 2nd Auburn, but I'm biased :). Seriously, get your ass to college and you will figure it out.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing Auburn is kind of like Radford here in VA. Radford is a college of about 12 thousand in a town of about 15 thousand...Yeah...Without the college, the town wouldn't even exist.

[quote name='Eviltude']I'm guessing Auburn is kind of like Radford here in VA. Radford is a college of about 12 thousand in a town of about 15 thousand...Yeah...Without the college, the town wouldn't even exist.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Auburn is a pretty kick ass place. The extra is that everything can be within walking distance (if you like the heat and you can walk).

Side note, I was born in Newport News which is not to far from Virginia Beach!

Orlando, Fl my friend........UCF and Full Sail (one of the best film/animation/gaming colleges in the country). I graduated from UCF and all my people are still there. Could be perfect for you. You would need loans to go to full sail obviously as it is not cheap. There is also a pretty damn good community college there as well, Valencia. One of the top CC's I believe.

[quote name='THE DARK KNIGHT']Orlando, Fl my friend........UCF and Full Sail (one of the best film/animation/gaming colleges in the country). I graduated from UCF and all my people are still there. Could be perfect for you. You would need loans to go to full sail obviously as it is not cheap. There is also a pretty damn good community college there as well, Valencia. One of the top CC's I believe.[/quote]

sweet, someone else from orlando. i heard full sail is pretty expensive though. i live right across the street from one of the valencia college campuses. ucf is good, they are getting better rep now with a new medical school (i think).

Find a cheap local community college and try a few broad area classes like:

buisness and econ 101
A science class or 2
Possibly a class for an interesting major that only require a 2 year degree (like welding)

It sounds like it might take you a year to find even a general direction in which to study and it's going to be a lot cheaper to do that searching at a community college, the added bonus is that many CCs offer night classes so you could also work full time.

Once you find a major then you can look for schools that are strong in that area and focus on getting through as quickly as possible.

[quote name='Eviltude']I'm guessing Auburn is kind of like Radford here in VA. Radford is a college of about 12 thousand in a town of about 15 thousand...Yeah...Without the college, the town wouldn't even exist.[/QUOTE]

Auburn is also great for the city government. They appropriate funds extremely well, business that would usually never come to a town that size show up, and the city is always maintained.

As for Montgomery... that's a different story. 10% sales tax where nobody knows the appropriation, the roads look like shit, crime is high, and all we have is a mediocre minor league baseball stadium known for their $5 a cup beer. It's still segregated in a way, in which business flock from the south side of town to the east side of town.

Believe it or not, Auburn is 20 minutes from a Columbus GA, and an hour away from Montgomery.. yet people flock their to party and get shitfaced. That kind of tells you something :)

Don't they charge more to go to a college if you haven't been a resident of the state for at least 2 years? Thats how it is in california.

[quote name='D4rkN1ght']free college in CA when you turn 24*[/quote] can you tell me more about this? My brother who's 25 is going to go to college for the first time in the fall.

hey, I was in the exact situation at age 22 myself. I had dropped out when I was 19 and traveled for a few years before deciding that it was time for school or else meet a worse fate.

there are a ton of good towns to move to, but if structure is what you're looking for, your parent's house is ideally the best place. I'm serious! ;) you save money, get fed, attend community college and get to figure your shit out without having to worry about the hassles of living on your own. it's not a bad place to re-invent yourself from, if you have that luxury.

just for the record though, Madison, WI is pretty much the best college town ever.

but like I said, I've been there, so feel free to PM me if you wanna chat. you've already done one thing right that a lot of people don't do-- you've waited till you're ready to get into college. it'll still be hard, but it'll be much easier than before.

[quote name='Russblue11']sweet, someone else from orlando. i heard full sail is pretty expensive though. i live right across the street from one of the valencia college campuses. ucf is good, they are getting better rep now with a new medical school (i think).[/quote]

My uncle who works for ILM told me to steer clear from Full Sail, I don't remember the reasons why, but he said it is a crap-shoot.

UCF is decent, you'd be better off going to one of the satellite campuses though, the main one is crowded as hell.

To the OP, I would suggest a Community College. If you put effort into it, you'll pass. They are pretty lax, but you can learn and succeed if you make the effort.

grants... i am not sure exactly how it works but its when you turn 24 and are legally independant from your parents you can apply for one... my cousing just got 3g's to help her...

[quote name='Apossum']there are a ton of good towns to move to, but if structure is what you're looking for, your parent's house is ideally the best place. I'm serious! ;) you save money, get fed, attend community college and get to figure your shit out without having to worry about the hassles of living on your own. it's not a bad place to re-invent yourself from.[/quote]

I'll second this. I went to a University (University of North Florida) my first year out of high school. While I did well in school, I hated living in a dorm and was spending way too much money. My second year I stayed home and finished my AA at a Community College and while not the most impressive thing, I truly believe this is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I studied harder, worked, was able to save tons of money, and now I'm back in a University in better shape than I was when I left.

Living at home and going to a Community College certainly isn't the most glamorous thing to do, but it can be the best decision you make as a young man.

I was born & raise in Vermont & I do miss the area so I'm going to sound like a hypocrite for saying this. LEAVE Vermont will you got the chance. That state is only good for raising kids & retirement. Any other state (exp: florida) will provide you a LOT better career chance then a state where it capitol has no McDonald at all. I wish I could go back there but I wont because I know I can make something out of myself from being anywhere but there. Listen to the advice of everyone in these post, just make sure you break free from the hold that state has on ya.

you could try working full time at a University, I know that certain schools let you take several classes for free if you work full time. At least that was at the University of Pittsburgh

any big univeristy really would fit your criteria....i would probably stay in vermont and look for big school there since you do have residency and it will be cheaper for you also in counting that FAFSA will give you alot depending how much you make or what you have to support. you could always do community for 2 years to figure out what really fits you before wasting money and finding out later that it wasnt for you. i found out the hard way and im back at community doing what i thought i should have been doing a long time ago which is buisness.

[quote name='DT778']Don't they charge more to go to a college if you haven't been a resident of the state for at least 2 years? Thats how it is in california.

can you tell me more about this? My brother who's 25 is going to go to college for the first time in the fall.[/QUOTE]

You just have to pass yourself off as an illegal alien and you're golden.

I was never really encouraged in school, fortunately I learned the real value of the edumacation system while in school. I've had to put myself through college since after highschool, I manage to pick up my AA at age 21. After that I worked full time for 2 years and picked up some computer certs. I went back to school at age 23, somehow i managed to get myself accepted at UF. So thats where im at now, almost finished. I love college now more than ever, and realize that even at the end of this degree i should probably hit grad school.

If you need some inspiration watch that show "Dirty Jobs."

Like the other said, you may have to stay in state because of cost. And if unable to hit a big university, do the CC transfer thing.

Costs can be varied. With a few grants and finacial aid I get about 4,500.00 a semester (no loans) and that gets me through my school costs. The rest of my cash goes to food/housing/recreational.

I agree with most of the ideas presented so far.

My advice: Move to Austin, Texas. The community college is wonderful. The University of Texas has fantastic resources available.

Listening to the advice I've heard so far... do this: apply for FAFSA immediately, apply to get a job working for the University such that you are given the ability to take a free class or so. Apply to UT as soon as you can, mentioning that you are doing this because you believe in the value of education. You really do, so this won't be a problem. If you take a few easy intro classes and work hard towards them, you can score As in them, possibily be admitted to the University fulltime, and have some money to support yourself.

You don't need a car to survive here. There are more than enough busses to get life done around here. There's housing $300-500/month a busride away. Spend around $500-700/month, and you can get an apartment walking distance from campus.

The "free class" deal does exist here. I don't know how, but try calling UT and asking. Their website is: http://www.utexas.edu

I really believe that Austin is a great place to explore other people and yourself. I wish you the best.

you might consider another major college town. seattle washington. its beautiful there. and theres so much to do and choose from in terms of leisure, schooling and business. everything is within 3 to 10 minutes away. the microsoft and boeing headquarters are there too. truly a great place to start out with all the outer towns blooming economically. however if you dont want to live in a dorm. downtown seattle isnt the most cost friendly of places in terms of renting. but the neighboring towns (all very close as well) are very cost friendly. i plan on moving there myself soon.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I'm not trying to be the3rdkey or anything, but I respect quite a few of my fellow CAGs so I thought I might as well throw a topic like this out there.

A little background: I was one of the scholarship cases at prep school, had no real guidance or interest there except a leaning towards art and animation. For a number of reasons I dropped out, burnt out and moved to Vermont where I've been a wastoid the past four years. All I've really got going for me is about 10K saved up and a brand new computer. Oh, and I'm fucking desperate to get out of here.

I'm 23 now and starting to look around. Everyone I know seems to be graduating with their degree and moving to greener pastures. I'd really like to get into a school situation where I'm going to have a chance to try out a lot of things. I'm pretty resourceful so I need more of a swift kick in the rear than I

do actual facilities. I've got no attachments to this hole of a city but I would like to move somewhere I'm not going to have to buy a car.

I guess what I'm looking for most is pointers on a place I can move where all of these resources are going to be available but I'm not really asking you to hand them to me. Just tell me where they might be if you happen to know. So any of you guys have thoughts to where I should move?[/QUOTE]

The University of Kentucky is where im at. Any college in which the entire city is seemingly revolving the campus is good. I did this at the age of 21 and have not regretted it at all. I was at a community college in New York City, but ended up failing out. I felt like I needed change like yourself, did my research, visited a couple of campus over the summer and settled at UK...many great colleges out there man. If you have the financial backing at this time I suggest a bit of research and then settle on something that just feels right.

Why? It's a small environment, but a big campus like seraphcrono pointed out. sign that fafsa immediately, apply to work on Campus because chances are they wont turn you down. Hell I even got a job at my campus right away.

there is still a chance for you to get in this august! but there is no rush. good luck man.

If you consider UK, things to keep in mind...

it gets hot, I mean REAL hot in the summer.
it rains A WHOLE DAMN LOT
There is a public transportation system in place in lexington, no car is NEEDED, but be aware that this is not a NYC type of transit system we are dealing with here, but then again my standards might be a bit too high.
nice campus, clean city, nice people all around.

hope that helps at all.

[quote name='2Fast']My uncle who works for ILM told me to steer clear from Full Sail, I don't remember the reasons why, but he said it is a crap-shoot.

UCF is decent, you'd be better off going to one of the satellite campuses though, the main one is crowded as hell.

To the OP, I would suggest a Community College. If you put effort into it, you'll pass. They are pretty lax, but you can learn and succeed if you make the effort.[/quote]QFT. You'll be better off going to Valencia or UCF. Just stay away from Full Sail.

What do you mean you are not trying to be me? I am telling you we need to start doing some thing new. Capitalism is killing us.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']QFT. You'll be better off going to Valencia or UCF. Just stay away from Full Sail.[/quote]

Full Sail is a trade school, under the guise of a college. If you realize that you're ok.

The music/movie/gaming industry is a crapshoot. Full sail just doesnt give you a job with EA/Warner bros./Sony Music when you graduate. If you want stability, stay the fuck away from the industry.

Stability is going to school in Medicine... people are always dying. But in the music industry, that one flop, is the one that kills you.

[quote name='Eviltude']I'm guessing Auburn is kind of like Radford here in VA. Radford is a college of about 12 thousand in a town of about 15 thousand...Yeah...Without the college, the town wouldn't even exist.[/quote]

Ahhh, Radford, where one of the rites of passage there is catching an STD.

I myself have thought about ECPI or ITT. Seeing as the Hampton Roads area (Norfolk, Va Beach, etc...) is a military area, there are a lot of places here

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Lots of great tips!

I'm living in Burlington now which is basically a college town and I am not so sure that moving to a straight up college town is the thing for me. I feel like I need something more (e.g. record/comic shops, good clubs, great museums, a decent library, etc.) so I'm going to take that into consideration. It's really encouragin to see that I'm not the only one who's in or has been in this boat.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Lots of great tips!

I'm living in Burlington now which is basically a college town and I am not so sure that moving to a straight up college town is the thing for me. I feel like I need something more (e.g. record/comic shops, good clubs, great museums, a decent library, etc.) so I'm going to take that into consideration. It's really encouragin to see that I'm not the only one who's in or has been in this boat.[/QUOTE]

San Francisco is a pretty kick ass place that fits the requirements, but expensive as hell. Atlanta good too and the job market is wide open from what i've heard.

[quote name='seraphcrono']I agree with most of the ideas presented so far.

My advice: Move to Austin, Texas. The community college is wonderful. The University of Texas has fantastic resources available.[/quote]

I have heard of this Austin. Supposedly a great music scene, lots of latina girls, pretty decent museum and arts scene, and hot weather all year round. It may just be the fit for me.

[quote name='the3rdkey']What do you mean you are not trying to be me? I am telling you we need to start doing some thing new. Capitalism is killing us.[/quote]

Just joshing, bro. You have to admit that you're (in)famous for all your advice threads around these parts.

[quote name='Critte']I was born & raise in Vermont & I do miss the area so I'm going to sound like a hypocrite for saying this. LEAVE Vermont will you got the chance. That state is only good for raising kids & retirement. Any other state (exp: florida) will provide you a LOT better career chance then a state where it capitol has no McDonald at all. I wish I could go back there but I wont because I know I can make something out of myself from being anywhere but there. Listen to the advice of everyone in these post, just make sure you break free from the hold that state has on ya.[/quote]

I can see some of your point, but I think the fact that a city lacks a McDonald's is a feature. :) I love Vermont as a place to visit and spend time, but I couldn't see making a career there either.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Lots of great tips!

I'm living in Burlington now which is basically a college town and I am not so sure that moving to a straight up college town is the thing for me. I feel like I need something more (e.g. record/comic shops, good clubs, great museums, a decent library, etc.) so I'm going to take that into consideration. It's really encouragin to see that I'm not the only one who's in or has been in this boat.[/quote]

Take a look at Columbus, OH. 15th largest city in the US, ok public transportation system, largest university in the US, very diverse population. (Gay capital of the midwest) Also, it's economy is a service oriented one, not manufacturing, so it's a bit cushioned from recession. Many computer oriented jobs, healthcare, insurance, such things. Several good comic/game shops. I can highly recommend the columbus metro library, and the museums aren't bad either.

Depending on where you live there, it could be a straight-up college town, or a professional town.

[quote name='Theenternal']I was never really encouraged in school, fortunately I learned the real value of the edumacation system while in school. I've had to put myself through .....[/quote]

Hey, I have a question for Theenternal... Is your signature picture "business up front, party in the back" mean you gay?

[quote name='Theenternal']I was never really encouraged in school, fortunately I learned the real value of the edumacation system while in school. I've had to put myself through college since after highschool, I manage to pick up my AA at age .....[/quote]

Does your signature mean your gay?

I'm living in Burlington now which is basically a college town and I am not so sure that moving to a straight up college town is the thing for me. I feel like I need something more (e.g. record/comic shops, good clubs, great museums, a decent library, etc.) so I'm going to take that into consideration. It's really encouragin to see that I'm not the only one who's in or has been in this boat.[/QUOTE]
Are you going to community college? if so then you can always consider NYC...but the problem will be the rent you will have to pay to live here.

Lexington wont be the place for you then lol, many clubs or whatever but mostly 18 year old college kids.

We could use a few good men in the Army. Maybe you should go Reserve? Pay for your college right quick, and you REALLY don't have to do much. College credits count for rank, and if you finish and want to really join up you can be an Lt.!

Disclaimer: You could end up getting deployed depending on your MOS.

[quote name='the ender']You need to move to a college city. Everything will be within a close proximity, and school will be so prevalent in the area that it might be easier for you to stick to it. I don't know what college cities there are near you, but here in Alabama, a perfect example would be Auburn. The college is pretty much all that city has, but still it thrives. Maybe that setup would help.

:D[/QUOTE]

You are joking right? I'm surprised ANYONE is advising college as a solution. I sound like such an ass but what about these people who get their fucking degree and find their job has moved to India. The White Collar industry IS being threatened and headed towards extinction if something doesn't happen quick and I don't think piling more debt on top of it will help anyone. You can say education, education and I use to believe that until these assholes decided to destroy our economy to put an extra $ in their pocket, n/mind the fact it will soon extinct the company.
So unless he's going towards writing or some field dependent on the persons unique mind, he's fucked.

Sarang01's right... don't get gamed with this whole "college to career" bull-honk. Total screw job any more. You gotta remember that every single commodity you produce is a piece of your own death.

The problem is, philosophically speaking, that everybody's convinced there's some kind of "right" path through life when there isn't. Each existence is just as meaningful as any other. Remember that there are three major points in the journey of life: A) Birth; B) "Life"; C) Death. Everybody does A and C, no matter what goes on during B.

So with this in mind, my vote is for stretching that 10K in your bank account using CAG deals and applying for welfare. You may live badly, but at least you won't have to work to do it.

(Apologies to "Slacker"!)

Reality's Fringe;2045878 said:
We could use a few good men in the Army. Maybe you should go Reserve?

I've thought about enlisting many times but I'm just not Armed Forces material. You have my respect and my thanks for serving on my behalf.

[quote name='Sarang01'] So unless he's going towards writing or some field dependent on the persons unique mind, he's fucked.[/quote]

Writing is a rough field. Too many hangers-on, I suppose. I'm a viciously inventive young man so I'll probably enter into some field where I'll be given some sort of creative freedom. I guess I'll be happy when I can stop following woefully antiquated procedures for the four hours that bookend my precisely 30 minute long lunch break.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I've thought about enlisting many times but I'm just not Armed Forces material. You have my respect and my thanks for serving on my behalf.

Writing is a rough field. Too many hangers-on, I suppose. I'm a viciously inventive young man so I'll probably enter into some field where I'll be given some sort of creative freedom. I guess I'll be happy when I can stop following woefully antiquated procedures for the four hours that bookend my precisely 30 minute long lunch break.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh not trying to be a dick it's just that nowadays they have to NEED you, your mind, your creativity. If it's something someone else can produce or mimic you're fucked, I mean physical product of course. Honestly no one appreciates loyalty anymore for Corporate types. I'm not saying do nothing. I'm just saying if someone's been of real value contributing to the company and everything I find it bullshit to just fire them if they get sick, especially if you put the product in their food that gets them sick to make money off their suffering, COUGHPharmaCOUGH.
So much shit getting clouded in greed we'll spunk our species in the process. fucking extinct I'm saying but that's a whole other story. Just remember if you can get at writing and be successful be a complete bitch, make it a write-in on your contract ALL your books have to be printed here and the employees have to be paid a living wage. That's your way of helping bring back the economy all these bastards are trying to snuff out.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I've thought about enlisting many times but I'm just not Armed Forces material. You have my respect and my thanks for serving on my behalf.
[/QUOTE]

Don't count yourself out. Army training is crafted to get you in. Of course, if you mean you don't think you're the "soldier type" (which is another thing you shouldn't count yourself as), you can do Air Force. A friend of mine is the dumpiest, weakest, most non-threatening guy and he's doing it just fine.

Anyway, talking to a recruiter doesn't mean you have to join, and they can tlel you more than I can (tip: if you DO decide to join, and they say they don't have what you want, thank them and tell them to call when it's availiable. You'll probably get a call the very next day). And thanks for the kind words, but I haven't done anything yet! :lol:

i dont think you should be worried about being 23 and "not doing anything". it kinda sounds to me like you want to go back to school. so go to a JC and then transfer, its really not hard and i have several friends who have done just that or are doing just that at your age.

but on the other side of the coin i have friends who never went to school but have found great jobs, own homes, have families and never went to college. they just stuck it out and eventually something good came along where they can move up and make decent money.

i also have friends who graduated college and didnt graduate college and dont do a damn thing. so dont think that either way is a sure path to success, because its not.

my degree is in medieval history... its pretty damn hard to find something to do with medieval history in sacramento, so i dont work in my field and really dont have much of an advantage when applying to jobs. but i dont regret going to college for something like that at all, i had a great time studying something i enjoy. so while its true that college doesnt mean youll enter some great career right after graduation, it is a great time to learn, have fun, and if nothing else, give you time to think about and explore what you want to do.

bread's done
Back