My life is messed up and I need advice. So I'm asking CAG. *Update*

i totally agree with what iheatmetal is saying. college is a great time to learn and explore your strengths and weaknesses. it took me two years to learn that pharmacy wasnt for me and than i switched to buisness and im loving every minute of it. dont ask me why but i have more interest on how money flows in and out of companies than how to make drugs. its what i enjoy and maybe something can come good out of it.

it also really depends on the life you want to live. if you want to live a work free life than go with the what Scobie said and live work free. or you could go back to school and get educated on something you might want to do...hey even going back to school for writing can help to. hey who knows you could start writing for magezines or news papers or something with a english degree or something. who knows. but again going back to school IMO is the first step in the right direction. Living hard sucks ass and i know you dont want to do that.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Protip: Do not move to Detroit.[/quote]

Actually, if you have the money, the means and a job not tied to the auto industry, now is a great time to move to Michigan, as it's a severe buyers market, as people are starting to not be able to afford those McMansions they leveraged themselves to the hilt to get, so there are a TON of deals in the 200-300,000 housing market.

Go to College. Expenses are cheap, you're at the perfect age where you're not too old to have friends there but at the same time you're old enough that men will respect you and women will swoon when you tell them your story about making a life-decision to go back to school and get your degree like a good boy.

Of course, a degree doesn't make you a better human being, blah blah blah. But face it - doors open financially when you have a degree. Not just that, but schools have a small army of employees whose only pursuit in life is getting you a good job that you enjoy in a place you will be happy.

Financially, get a loan if you have to or get a job while in school. But you're younger than you feel when you compare yourself to your friends. You'll be fine.

So...after it's all said and done I'm going to be staying in Vermont. Why, you ask? I'll explain:

This past week I had a spat of vacation time so I used it to surf around the states and see what felt good. Austin was great, except I was going to need a car in order to work and study at the same time and keep my sanity. D.C. is cool but I have family issues that prevent me from going there. NYC is the shit but I'm not quite ready for it yet.

The fact of the matter is I'm not ready to dive into all this just yet. My heart simply isn't there. I don't want to go to college. I don't want to enter the corporate sector. At all.

When I was travelling around I realized that I have much bigger problems that I need to resolve, specifically depression. I've elected to renew my lease for six months, sign up for private painting lessons (I need this) and possibly start studying aikido. I may or may not take some credit classes to refine my Spanish on top of all that.

If there are big changes six months from now, I will bump this again. Thankyou, everybody. You've been a big help!

I would say go all in now and dive to NYC but its up to you. You can do all that shit in NYC, it will cost more but you will also make more working there.

I took a plane down to Austin, realized within a few hours it wasn't going to work out, cut my hours and jetted up to DC. I was really hoping it would work there but...no. Perhaps if/when certain people leave that town I can go down there. That city is crispy.

Took a train from there up to VT, and one of the stops is Penn Station. So there ya go.

best of luck to ya-- there's no rush!

and just for the record, you don't have to enter the corporate sector or land a job as soon as you finish college. Go to the right place and the experience will be awesome for you! If you're creative, check out some art schools-- MEcA, Art Institute in Chicago, etc.

anyway, there's this false conception being spread by....our parents and people who listen to their parents....that you go to school to land a job. it used to be automatic like that. now it's more about the experience and learning environment and becoming more resourceful.

The degree you get will also always give you an advantage over someone who doesn't have one (as long as the rest of you is good as well ;) )

bread's done
Back