My local Hollywood Video has Disgaea and Gitaroo Man

I can't believe you'd actually pose the question. Should I commit a dishonest act? Of couse you shouldn't. The fact that you're asking the question shows that you know you shouldn't do it.

[quote name='jclast']I can't believe you'd actually pose the question. Should I commit a dishonest act? Of couse you shouldn't. The fact that you're asking the question shows that you know you shouldn't do it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the last part. But I wouldn't really have a problem doing it, seeing as they have your CC number and will likely charge you the 50 bucks. I'd just make sure to call them in a few days and say that you lost the game, that way they get their money and your late fee doesn't get sky high. The only issue I see is you're overpaying, you could probably get a disc only copy (which is what you'd have, since they'd still have the box) for less than that.

Imagine it from their side. If you were running/managing a rental store/whatever, how would youl like it some dumb puck came in, "rented" one of your more valuable games, and "lost" it. Yeah, you get the $50 your policy dictates, but if it's rare and popular, how much profit has the rental store lost?

If we all thought this way there would be no decent rental stores. If you want one that bad, get a GameFly account. They out and out say you can keep it as long as you want. Rent it, and kep it as long as you want. Odds are the disc will be in better shape anyhow, and you're playing by the rules still.

[quote name='jclast']Imagine it from their side. If you were running/managing a rental store/whatever, how would youl like it some dumb puck came in, "rented" one of your more valuable games, and "lost" it. Yeah, you get the $50 your policy dictates, but if it's rare and popular, how much profit has the rental store lost?

If we all thought this way there would be no decent rental stores. If you want one that bad, get a GameFly account. They out and out say you can keep it as long as you want. Rent it, and don't give it back. At least then you're playing by the rules.[/QUOTE]

All good points, I've personally only done it once (long ago with a vhs tape that was impossible to find). But the odd thing about these rare games, quite often they are rarely ever rented. They're in high demand in the collector community, but demand is miniscule outside of that.

Usually, at least ma and pa stores, assuming they don't go checking ebay (they do that a lot lately) the rare games are very easy to get for cheap since they tend to just sit there, just ask. Big name franchises are the exceptions, like harvest moon and lunar.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']...you could probably get a disc only copy...for less than that.[/QUOTE]

Where exactly...? I'm serious. I'd buy it for less than $50. Don't gimme that Gamestop locator thing either 'cause anytime I find one at a store within 200 miles of me they say it's been shipped off for resurfacing. And I'm not going to drive down there and see if they're lying becuase the closest one is 81 miles away.

Back on topic, OP have you asked if they'd sell it?

Didn't someone propose doing the same thing earlier this year with Rez? I think half the people on the boards condoned such behavior.

My View - It's your conscience you need to deal with, not us.

Why even bother asking? If you have to ask strangers if you should...you're gonna do it anyways.

So prove to your mother that she was a stupid bitch and raised you to not know the difference between right and wrong.

fucking selling your soul for a video game, what the fuck is wrong with you??

It's not like he's going to "lose" it and then get a copy for free. They're going to charge him for the game. I was considering doing it a few weeks ago for this rare VHS, but then decided against it because I thought of how hard it was for me to find to rent and didn't want it to be that hard for others. It's your call. Either way, Hollywood Video doesn't care.

Reality's Fringe said:
It's not like he's going to "lose" it and then get a copy for free. They're going to charge him for the game. I was considering doing it a few weeks ago for this rare VHS, but then decided against it because I thought of how hard it was for me to find to rent and didn't want it to be that hard for others. It's your call. Either way, Hollywood Video doesn't care.

Just because you steal something thats not for sale and pay for it later doesnt mean its right...

Man, did your parents raise you in a mental institution?

OP, some people might tempt you with their backwards double-speak... but wrong is freaking wrong....

It's a fucking video game, get some fucking pride.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Just because you steal something thats not for sale and pay for it later doesnt mean its right...

OP, some people might tempt you with their backwards double-speak... but wrong is freaking wrong....

It's a fucking video game, get some fucking pride.[/QUOTE]

fucking mother fucking shit fuck fucking fuck fucking fuck fuck god what the fuck is the fuck in the fucking fuck.

Holy crap - edited because I realized that if you do the f word in all capitals - it comes out uncensored.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Just because you steal something thats not for sale and pay for it later doesnt mean its right...

It's a fucking video game, get some fucking pride.[/QUOTE]

I don't view Larceny with payment as larceny. If Hollywood Video charges you money for it, and doesn't hit it on your credit report and come after you for theft, then they must not care. . In actuallity, I'd be willing to bet that if the OP asks the clerk if he can buy it there's a good chance that they'll sell it to him. The only reason I couldn't buy the aforementioned VHS is becuse one person had rented it the week prior (me).
I suppose it'd be stealing by a very broad definition of the word, but semantic arguements never go anywhere.

Reality's Fringe]I don't view Larceny with payment as larceny. If Hollywood Video charges you money for it said:
So is not against the law to speed if you pay your fine? Is it okay to set houses on fire if you serve your jail time? Is it okay to be dishonest at the video store if they charge you?

No. Dishonesty is dishonesty. Theft is theft, and breaking the law is breaking the law. I can't believe our society has degenerated to the point that we can rationalize theft and condone and encourage others to take part in the same.

really quick: just to point it out, those are not what most people would refer to as popular games. The idea that they are actually there available for rent should show it's popularity. Popular to us, but not popular to most of the people who rent and play video games. I'm not condoning the act, but Hollywood Video is probably losing one rental a month at most on Gitaroo Man should he decide to "lose" the game.

Right on jfunkdpg! Shinkuu Ryao has done nothing wrong and you all chastise him. Sure he mentioned doing something illegal, but what gives all of you the right. Everyone has done something wrong in their lives and pays for it one way or the other. Shinkuu Ryao asked a question and a simple yes/no answer would have sufficed or maybe constructive criticism. I don't care if someone opts to do this or not, we all have a two choices when it comes to situations in life. Shinkuu Ryao do what you want and ignore all the negative remarks posted here. There are no saints here at CAG.

[quote name='neudog']Right on jfunkdpg! Shinkuu Ryao has done nothing wrong and you all chastise him. Sure he mentioned doing something illegal, but what gives all of you the right. Everyone has done something wrong in their lives and pays for it one way or the other. Shinkuu Ryao asked a question and a simple yes/no answer would have sufficed or maybe constructive criticism. I don't care if someone opts to do this or not, we all have a two choices when it comes to situations in life. Shinkuu Ryao do what you want and ignore all the negative remarks posted here. There are no saints here at CAG.[/QUOTE]

Of course you'd side with him, Goodwill-thief.

Yea man do whatever you like and dont worry about any consiquences for your actions.

I cant believe how many people here would rather steal something than do the right thing. It actually makes me pretty sad....

I've got people saying, "Get off your High Horse!".... All I did was tell the kid it was wrong to steal, end of story.

Maybe you were raised with no morals and you'll probably raise your kids to be worse... The worst thing is, that america has become so comforable and you've become such a consumer that you're willing to steal something because you're such a slave to consumerism.

Yeah, you guys are totally in the right.

I should ask cheapy to change the name to "Thief ass gamer"

---------------------------------------------------------

Also, I think that if he asked the guy if he could buy it and he said yes... then thats totally cool. But stealing something not for sale and saying its ok because you paid for it anyway is retarded. I hope he charges you ebay prices for it.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']Some people need to get the fuck off their high horses.[/QUOTE]

I love how New CAGs are always the ones saying its cool to steal, its cool to buy a bunch of cheap games and take them back new to Wal-Mart, its cool take whats not yours and then point at all the old schoolers and say they need to get off their high horses.

GROW UP. GET A LIFE. DONT BE STUPID AND SELL YOUR SOUL FOR A VIDEO GAME.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I love how New CAGs are always the ones saying its cool to steal, its cool to buy a bunch of cheap games and take them back new to Wal-Mart, its cool take whats not yours and then point at all the old schoolers and say they need to get off their high horses.

GROW UP. GET A LIFE. DONT BE STUPID AND SELL YOUR SOUL FOR A VIDEO GAME.[/QUOTE]

I hear you Mookyjooky, but hopefully the noobs will learn some ediqute after observing how the more experienced members behave. Here's hoping.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Yea man do whatever you like and dont worry about any consiquences for your actions.

I cant believe how many people here would rather steal something than do the right thing. It actually makes me pretty sad....

I've got people saying, "Get off your High Horse!".... All I did was tell the kid it was wrong to steal, end of story.

Maybe you were raised with no morals and you'll probably raise your kids to be worse... The worst thing is, that america has become so comforable and you've become such a consumer that you're willing to steal something because you're such a slave to consumerism.

Yeah, you guys are totally in the right.

I should ask cheapy to change the name to "Thief ass gamer"

---------------------------------------------------------

Also, I think that if he asked the guy if he could buy it and he said yes... then thats totally cool. But stealing something not for sale and saying its ok because you paid for it anyway is retarded. I hope he charges you ebay prices for it.[/QUOTE]

I told you to get off your high horse not because you believe it's wrong to take the game. I could really care less what you believe. It's when you criticize another's upbringing and try to guess how they raise their kids is when you crossed the line. It's one thing to believe in an ideal, but another to assume everyone who doesn't adopt your ideal is a miscreant. And I for one, am glad there are people here who don't have your arrogant mindset.

And then to top it off you act better than someone else because you've been going to a website longer than them? I'm at a loss for words trying to describe how utterly pathetic that is.

Real mature Red Flare Graf! I forgot that you walked on water and turned water into wine. I've already had enough crap come at me on the issue about goodwill and I don't need anymore from you. You think that us newbies condone stealing and we back people who are looking to break the law and this could not be farther from the truth. I made a mistake and for you to attack me or anyone else just shows your true colors.

Well, technically, he isn't stealing, he's still paying for it. lying about losing something is the only valid argument against his cause....but don't listen to me, just using logic.

like someone said, no one else is going to rent either of those, so it's not the most horrible heinous crime like some other people are making it out to be. why just let those games sit there and go to waste?

Of course, if you are just buying them to flaunt and cuddle at night or sell on Ebay, that's lame.

Enjoy gitaroo man and your $60 disc only, rental stickered copy of Disgaea, the rarest and most amazing game of all time in history.

EDIT: just had to say that pic of Morgan Webb gives me nightmares

[quote name='Apossum']Well, technically, he isn't stealing, he's still paying for it. lying about losing something is the only valid argument against his cause....but don't listen to me, just using logic.

like someone said, no one else is going to rent either of those, so it's not the most horrible heinous crime like some other people are making it out to be. why just let those games sit there and go to waste?

Of course, if you are just buying them to flaunt and cuddle at night or sell on Ebay, that's lame.

Enjoy gitaroo man and your $60 disc only, rental stickered copy of Disgaea, the rarest and most amazing game of all time in history.

EDIT: just had to say that pic of Morgan Webb gives me nightmares[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about Disgaea, or Rez?

Because I'm pretty sure Disgaea isn't even remotely as rare as Rez.

i'd just ask politely if you could purchase both of them for the 50 dollars a piece .. its well worth the 100 bucks and they'll probably think you are crazy for wanting such "obscure" games.

i asked this at one local Hollywood video before i found my Disgeae used for 40 and they said they wouldnt sell it to me and if i didnt return it they could call the cops saying the STold the game from them.... they also said they charge 2x the replacement price to stop people from doing this what is insane.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']Are you talking about Disgaea, or Rez?

Because I'm pretty sure Disgaea isn't even remotely as rare as Rez.[/QUOTE]

(it was a joke)

[quote name='slidecage']i asked this at one local Hollywood video before i found my Disgeae used for 40 and they said they wouldnt sell it to me and if i didnt return it they could call the cops saying the STold the game from them.... they also said they charge 2x the replacement price to stop people from doing this what is insane.[/QUOTE]

How is it insane for a business to protect its inventory and try to discourage dishonest people from "losing" their merchandise? If something isn't for sale, it's not your place (or anybody else's) to try to circumvent store policy.

Um, no.

For one (and this is sadly perhaps the only compelling point amidst hedonistic relativism), by the time you're done paying the rental and replacement fees for discs in questionable condition, it may not be worth it anyway.

Second, it's stealing. They're not selling you the discs. They're renting them to you. If you intend on keeping them anyway despite the store not putting them on sale, that's stealing. You will have to pay a replacement fee (fairly moot since the store won't be able to replace them) but that doesn't make it not stealing any more than reparations negate the act of slavery- wherever one stands on the issue.

What you should do is rent them and play them for less money than the vast majority of people have to shell out to play them- this is cheap ass gamer after all, right. If you like them then go back to the store and talk to the manager, explaining that you really like the games and haven't been able to find them elsewhere, and see if he's willing to let you buy them. Maybe the games just happen to be there and he doesn't care and will be happy to let them go. Or maybe they're intentionally stocked to give people the chance to play different games.

You're lucky. I don't know many rental stores that would stock something like Gitaroo Man. Most are stuck with Madden 2004-06 and Tony Hawk 2-14.

Take advantage of it, support the store, and be open about your intentions rather than forcing them to sell to you regardless of what they might want.

[quote name='Shinkuu Ryao']Should I rent and "lose" them?[/QUOTE]

Rented! Play it for few days call and ask them how much is cost if u accidently lose the game. If it bargain price then keep it (forget it if cost u full price unless it come w/ Excellent condition include everything).

[quote name='jfunkdpg']I told you to get off your high horse not because you believe it's wrong to take the game. [/QUOTE]

I still think its funny that you "DO" believe its ok to steal. Making everything you say from here on, sound completely ignorant.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']I could really care less what you believe. [/QUOTE]

If this were true we wouldnt be arguing now.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']It's when you criticize another's upbringing and try to guess how they raise their kids is when you crossed the line. It's one thing to believe in an ideal, but another to assume everyone who doesn't adopt your ideal is a miscreant.[/QUOTE]

Jesus man, its one of the most basic aspects of common sence.... Dont steal peoples shit. How is this a new and radical ideal?

[quote name='jfunkdpg']And I for one, am glad there are people here who don't have your arrogant mindset.[/QUOTE]

Its freedom of choice, you believe that stealing is right, I believe its wrong. Its really that simple here... are you slow?

[quote name='jfunkdpg'] And then to top it off you act better than someone else because you've been going to a website longer than them? I'm at a loss for words trying to describe how utterly pathetic that is.[/QUOTE]

Ummmm, no. I never said that... you just completely made that up. I just made an observation that most of the Newbies here thought that stealing was completely okay. Its not, and its a rediculous point to argue. If that store was selling it, he'd fucking sell it. End of Story.

OP, Disgaea isn't very rare.

If you're that eager to get it, check out ebay or ask someone politely to get a copy for you. I picked up a copy about a month ago at my local ebgames and they still carry several copies with box and instruction manual for somethin like 45 bucks used so rather than pay full price for just a disc, you can try other options.

Can't really help you on rez.

bread's done
Back