My new HP has fast internet but slow download speeds. Help?

donteatsoap7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
not sure what steps you have tried yet but some basic stuff you can try is to power cycle the modem and router (assuming you have a router since you mentioned you had another pc), try a different ethernet cord and also try updating the drivers on your network card.

Click on the start button, type msconfig

"System Configuration" will pop up, click on the "Startup" tab

Disable everything. Under the first and second columns you see the names of what is starting up, the only thing you should reenable is your touchpad software (it will be labelled "Synaptics" or "Alps"), your antivirus software, and any file backup/sharing software you use (if any, such as "Carbonite", "Dropbox", "Mozy")

HP computers ship with a bunch of crap installed that is almost completely useless. So right off the bat your computer will run better.

Anyways, one of the programs may be slowing things down. If this doesn't work, it may be your antivirus. I've seen several AV programs slow downloads to a crawl.

You can try removing your AV program, rebooting, see if that helps. (not having AV for 10 minutes to test isn't going to kill you.)

If it does, I would just ditch whatever AV the company sold you or preinstalled and get a free antivirus. Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira, AVG are all very good products. (only need one)

Let me know if that helps or no.

You can also have Internet download Manager if all else fail..
IDM helps a lot, I can upload my cracked version here..~ IDM v 7.1

In the speedtest you linked, you're getting 500Kbps. Are you paying for more than this, or is this what you're expecting to get when downloading something, but getting less? Just making sure, because 500Kbps plans aren't all that uncommon. What are you expecting/paying for?

im having a similar issue with streaming :)

i get 5 meg upload on speed test but i can only stream at 1 meg and the stream server is in the same state as i live in!

I got a crappy netgear router but im not sure if that's the issue. my moden has lik ea yellow light flashing at the bottom instead of the blue when i connect it to my PC. :)

that just means you're connected at 100mbps instead of 1000mbps, which is not an issue because of your limited download speed.

It's most likely the server. I don't know who it is, but consider this, Youtube at primetime lags alot. There's millions of people accessing it, that's why. Same with other streaming services.

bread's done
Back