my new rig

a_bleak_tomorrow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
so In true cag fashion I don't have alot of money for atop of the line new rig but i just put together a new one and im just waiting for the parts.
Here's what they are.

Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core
3GB DDR2 SDRAM
500GB - 7200RPM, SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450

so obviously not an awesome system but i think it will get the job done.
I think the first thing im getting is left 4 dead and maybe a copy of orange box and probably pick up company of heroes as well.

You should have cut back to a dual core processor and invested more money in a better GPU. Quad cores are overkill IMO (and in some cases, perform worse than dual cores)... not sure how much you paid for each part. But you could have gotten a 3850 for $60 after rebates, which is a great low budget gaming card.

[quote name='Vinny']You should have cut back to a dual core processor and invested more money in a better GPU. Quad cores are overkill IMO (and in some cases, perform worse than dual cores)... not sure how much you paid for each part. But you could have gotten a 3850 for $60 after rebates, which is a great low budget gaming card.[/quote]
Yeah thanks for the advice I'm kinda new to all of this to bad i already ordered the parts. haha. what I got shouldnt be to bad for what i want it for though. Is Steam as good as everyone makes it out to be.

[quote name='a_bleak_tomorrow']Yeah thanks for the advice I'm kinda new to all of this to bad i already ordered the parts. haha. what I got shouldnt be to bad for what i want it for though. Is Steam as good as everyone makes it out to be.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely not bad, but it seemed like you want to game with it, so spending less money on the CPU and more on the graphics card would be ideal

[quote name='a_bleak_tomorrow']Yeah thanks for the advice I'm kinda new to all of this to bad i already ordered the parts. haha. what I got shouldnt be to bad for what i want it for though. Is Steam as good as everyone makes it out to be.[/quote]

I was going to also say to pass on that card and get a 4850, a bit more than you would pay but you should have dumbed down the processor a bit.

Steam? In what sense? If you mean in the sense of a platform where games are automatically updated and you can contact friends and such. Then yeah, it is alright. I do not really like how some games, especially the games from Valve, are so dependent on it. I have had issues where I could not play my games because I had not access to the internet and Steam kept trying to log me in when I would try and start anything. When it works it works great.

As a store it is also good, as long as you are okay with the whole buying games with no physical media thing. I am still against the idea considering you can't resell or return a download. You are stuck with it.

What I do really like about it though, is the new community feature they have implemented. That works as well as Xbox Live(give and take here and there).

[quote name='Photomotoz']
As a store it is also good, as long as you are okay with the whole buying games with no physical media thing. I am still against the idea considering you can't resell or return a download. You are stuck with it.
[/quote]

Im pretty fine with this considering most stores dont return opened pc games and I dont even think there is a place to physically resell one either. I know i could sell one on ebay and stuff but im to lazy to reactivate my account after not using it for like 3 years. Also isnt there a way to hook up two video cards would that improve my proformance?

[quote name='a_bleak_tomorrow']Im pretty fine with this considering most stores dont return opened pc games and I dont even think there is a place to physically resell one either. I know i could sell one on ebay and stuff but im to lazy to reactivate my account after not using it for like 3 years. Also isnt there a way to hook up two video cards would that improve my proformance?[/quote]The resale value of PC games on ebay isn't nearly as high as console games, especially with older games. Sometimes it's difficult to find any buyers even at $0.99 starting bid.

I agree with others here, you should have spent more on video card than CPU. That 3450 is really a HTPC video card to offload HD decoding to the video card. And IMHO, quad cores are really unnecessary for home users. You could have easily save $100 with a lower end dual core and used that for a 8800GT/9800GT or 4850.

I really like Steam for it's overall effectiveness and convenience. I just have a problem with their pricing (except the weekend deals). Most of the games they carry can be had elsewhere for a lower price if you're a deal hunter.

[quote name='a_bleak_tomorrow']Also isnt there a way to hook up two video cards would that improve my proformance?[/quote]

Yes, you would first need a motherboard that supports that, in your case it is called Crossfire(SLI for Nvidia). Next you need two similar cards, in ATI's case I think that it can be any Crossfire card, in Nvidia's case it has to be the exact same card.

In both cases the gains you get are not that big, on average I think you can get a %50 increase in the best case. Some times it actually makes things worse.

But in your specific case it is not worth it at all, even if your motherboard supported that. The increase you would get would still leave you with a crummy card going a bit faster. And in any case, the money you would spend doing this could buy you a much better card.

So bottom line is yes, but don't.

Oh, and to comment on the downloading games things I have this to say. Apart from the fact that you can't resell them, which I agree with you that the used PC game market is not anywhere near the level of the console one. I would argue though, that you can save money. Games that you download do have sales but nowhere near what you can get in retail or online. For instance, on Steam you could buy Left 4 Dead for $45 with a preorder or $50 after it came out. Circuit City had it for $40 a day after it came out. But really, after a game online hits a certain price like $5 or so or $10. I doubt it would go down, as they have no overhead they can price it anything they want. While a retail store has to mark things down to make room for new merchandise and such.

A thing like Steam will eventually go out of buisness, I am not saying it will happen for sure in the next so and so years. But eventually, and you could make the arguement of that by when that time comes you could care less about those games. That's fair, but I like to have a library of games I could go and play at anytime. Few buisness last a long time, Bell did and it was broken up into many companies and blah blah blah. Even if Steam goes off they might give you an option to be able to run the games without Steam, yeah that's nice and all. But really, it can happen that they do not.

Blah, I am done. This is off topic.

3450 is not going to cut it for gaming at all. It is severely crippled (at least 4x or 5x slower than a 3850): http://www.512bit.net/ati.html
They are decent cards for a non-gaming system or a non-gaming HTPC, but that's it.

You would want a 3850 at least (I was able to get one of these a few months ago in the $80-90 price range (infinitely faster than a 3450).

Right now, for video cards, I'd recommend:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272
$140 for the 4850. Very quiet and great performance/price ratio.

or

$90 for the 3850. Will still handle modern games reasonably well at a great price point.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102794

bread's done
Back