My Ordeal with Goozex

thebob101

CAGiversary!
Feedback
245 (100%)
To make a long story short, I received a 1000 point game (Xenogears) from a new Goozex member (4 completed trades). The trader sent the game wrapped in paper and tape and by the time it got to me, the front was crushed, disc one was so scratched I wouldn't even put it in my ps3 and I had to leave the Received Unplayable Disc negative. So, it took Goozex a week to reply to the dispute and then I receive this email from them:

Dear ....,

After review of this transaction we would like to clarify a few points in a private email. Here is what we see with package you sent us:
1. Damaged jewel case with leftover tape sticky material
2. Perfect condition Disc 2
3. Disc 1 severely scratched with intentional damage

We know from previous experience that Disc 1 was intentionally damaged by the severity of the scratches and the motion they left behind. The same scratches can be recreated with a Brillo pad or other similar coarse material. The circular and back and forth motion is consistent with hand damage.

Now we understand if you received a 1,000 point game that is considered a collector’s item in less than desirable condition. We also understand you may have thought the only way to receive a refund of points was to report unplayable disc and create excessive damage. If this is the case, we would like to work with you to avoid this type of situation in the future, since you are an excellent trader!

If this is not the case, then we need you to send us in a reply email that you confirm not causing damage to Disc 1 of this game. This would mean you are stating that the seller intentionally shipped a heavily damaged game to you. We will then take the matter to the seller and see if they need to be removed from the system for intentionally damaging a disc and then sending it to another member.

Needless to say, I am very upset for being accused of intentionally damaging a disc to get my points back. This is the last straw and I am finished with Goozex. Their customer service is horrible and there are way too many deadbeat traders on the site now.

Please do not flame or make stupid comments in this thread, I would greatly appreciate it. I take this accusation very seriously and am completely confused after 200+ positive trades why they would take this stance.

That sucks. The only bad experience I had was a game was sent to, d/c said it was delivered and I never got it. I think it was stolen. I was out my points. I raised a huge fit through several emails and I got my points back. Hope you get this figured out OP

Not everything is perfect.

I think the reply is fine, but waiting a week on it, most of that time shipping it to them correct?

So far I've had excellent copies, but the system is there to get your points back.

Just reply stating that you didn't do it.

What I'd like to say is quit bitching about it, since Goozex is just covering bases, though confused as to why they would request info you can easily lie about.

Was the disc damaged by shipping? which may not be covered?

Well, I think the users piss me off just as much as the customer service. Dude sends me uncharted, sends a message bitching at me to leave feedback the day it arrived. Wow, I wasn't even home to receive the package, this guy can't wait more than a couple hours before sending a PM? So I go to check out the package and the guy didn't even use a bubble mailer. fucking paper and tape. Thankfully the disc wasn't damaged and I still left positive feedback. I just left a little comment on there about the use of cheap envelopes so that others would be aware and the guy goes emo on me in another PM. He acts like he didn't get his points or something.

Ouch, I have not gotten anything sent in paper and tape yet. I hope that never happens to me. Bubble mailers aren't even expensive...

Hate to possibly jinx things, but I have never had a bad Goozex experience. All the games I have gotten have been packed well and near mint. At least one was new in shrinkwrap.

That's one of the major problems with Goozex. It tries to simplify things by taking out the "haggling/bartering" part between two parties, but then you can get the specifics about condition and what not. I hate getting games with tags on them, but that's something you have to live with on Goozex, especially with older games.

[quote name='xycury']What I'd like to say is quit bitching about it, since Goozex is just covering bases, though confused as to why they would request info you can easily lie about.

Was the disc damaged by shipping? which may not be covered?[/quote]

First, I am not bitching about it. I have sent out over 200 games and to receive this type of email is upsetting. I think my trading reputation both here and on Goozex speaks for itself and I am shocked they would treat a long time user this way (and I know the Goozex guys personally, we have had a few meetups where we have met and one of the guys came out to see my band). I live 10 minutes from the Goozex office, so they received the disc a couple of days after I sent it and I seriously doubt it took that long.

On another note, I don't think it is a form letter, it is very specific about our trade.

I have been having terrible experiences on Goozex. I had one user say I slit a game open (leaving the shrink wrap on mind you) and replaced the original disc with a burned copy of Resident Evil for the Playstation. They gave me my points back, but they also allowed the user to continue using Goozex without punishing them or removing them. It was absolutely insane.

[quote name='thebob101']First, I am not bitching about it. I have sent out over 200 games and to receive this type of email is upsetting. I think my trading reputation both here and on Goozex speaks for itself and I am shocked they would treat a long time user this way (and I know the Goozex guys personally, we have had a few meetups where we have met and one of the guys came out to see my band). I live 10 minutes from the Goozex office, so they received the disc a couple of days after I sent it and I seriously doubt it took that long.

On another note, I don't think it is a form letter, it is very specific about our trade.

I have been having terrible experiences on Goozex. I had one user say I slit a game open (leaving the shrink wrap on mind you) and replaced the original disc with a burned copy of Resident Evil for the Playstation. They gave me my points back, but they also allowed the user to continue using Goozex without punishing them or removing them. It was absolutely insane.[/quote]

You have every right to be unhappy, but there isn't anything we can do, and the situation isn't bitch-worthy.

At least imho. I would have waited till what happens after this to post about it, if everything clears up and you get your points back, then no fowl.... and this thread dies away and ponders why it was created anyways.

BUT... if it does go south... then that's where I'd post about it.

Goozex is doing it's thing it needs to do, their CS may not be perfect, this is a wierd business model that they are running and they are doing more on honesty of the people than anything which can go shitty at any moment.

But for you to have 200 and say that you're more important than someone else is a bit off, and frankly you're not.

If you want special treatment, maybe Goozex should go to a subscription base for support that lets you buy into insurance of this type of rare cases... to make you feel more special about it.

Suck it up and wait, bitch later, and we might care some more.

[quote name='xycury']You have every right to be unhappy, but there isn't anything we can do, and the situation isn't bitch-worthy.

At least imho. I would have waited till what happens after this to post about it, if everything clears up and you get your points back, then no fowl.... and this thread dies away and ponders why it was created anyways.

BUT... if it does go south... then that's where I'd post about it.

Goozex is doing it's thing it needs to do, their CS may not be perfect, this is a wierd business model that they are running and they are doing more on honesty of the people than anything which can go shitty at any moment.

But for you to have 200 and say that you're more important than someone else is a bit off, and frankly you're not.

If you want special treatment, maybe Goozex should go to a subscription base for support that lets you buy into insurance of this type of rare cases... to make you feel more special about it.

Suck it up and wait, bitch later, and we might care some more.[/quote]

You didn't read my last paragraph did you. I asked politely for folks not to flame or post if they were just going to be negative. I have waited and recevied nothing from Goozex since the email.

I don't think I am special, I just think that someone with a great trading record should be given the benefit of the doubt and not accused of purposely destroying a disc.

Your insults just show your "interwebz courage." Seriously, shut the fuck up and leave the thread alone if you don't like it. There is no need to thread crap.

So, please go fuck yourself and stay out of my affairs if you don't have anything constructive to say.

Oh, I am not asking for anyone to do anything. I thought I would post the email to see what others would suggest to do, not to have someone tell me I am wrong and to just deal with it.

I had 100 free points. The ones you get for signing up.
I had 3 games in my requests, each one cost 100.

Every time it was MY turn to receive the games, the points would go up to 150.
I would not have enough points, so it would go to the next person in line...and for them the points would change back down to 100.

Syberia 2 was 100 points for 7 months straight, my turn comes, and it suddenly changes to 150 points.

Keep in mind that the day I got an email saying it's my turn for a game, that the email about it's points being higher is sent too! This happened every time, 15 times total in that year.

A game could go a year without an increase in points, and the day it's my turn, is the day the points increased.

I told customer service about it being an obvious attempt at not letting new users use their 100 FREE points, or it was just frightening coincidences. I asked if I should continue to bother or not.

They said they were sorry for "whatever is going on", and they gave me 50 free points to get the games once they did go higher, to 150, like they kept doing.

All in all their service is a little sketchy, but they did try their best to help, once they were confronted by everything.

I got Syberia 2 today, and it's OK condition. A 7.5 rating, but I am picky because even my ps1 games have no dust or scratches on the games or cases, no finger prints on the books, and look like they've been sealed for eternity.

I dont understand how people can scratch games. Play a game, take it out and put it in it's case when you are gonna play a different game. It's not tough.

I will continue to use their service, but it'd be nice if people could post the conditions of the boxes, jewel case, books, and discs.

[quote name='Squall835']From the way that email reads, it looks like a simple form email, so don't be too upset.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the fact that they're implying their users artificially damage discs just to get a refund is pretty weak.

I'm with the OP though. I've never been a huge fan of Goozex, especially because of their shitty CS. I only trade my cheapest games (or games I got for cheap which have a high point value) and request my lowest wants.

Doesn't surprise me honestly OP, I saw a few of your problems on the forums there and it's unfortunate. Goozex has been getting worse little by little lately. Im sure it's more to do with having more crap traders in the system though. I also think it's ridiculous what they did. If anything they should've made the situation good for you no matter if they have to give you an extra 1000 points or whatever. Im sure the amount you spend on trade credits and whatnot more than makes up for it. I don't think they want to be responsible for losing a trader of your caliber.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Doesn't surprise me honestly OP, I saw a few of your problems on the forums there and it's unfortunate. Goozex has been getting worse little by little lately. Im sure it's more to do with having more crap traders in the system though. I also think it's ridiculous what they did. If anything they should've made the situation good for you no matter if they have to give you an extra 1000 points or whatever. Im sure the amount you spend on trade credits and whatnot more than makes up for it. I don't think they want to be responsible for losing a trader of your caliber.[/quote]

I was a huge fan of Goozex when I first joined, but with this, my account being hacked, deadbeat traders that I never get help with, etc. has soured me. I like the guys personally, very nice folk, but this is crazy. In my response back to them, I told them I don't care about the points at this point (hope that is not redundant). I told them I value my reputation more than points, I worked hard for it and to be questioned in this manner is just insulting to say the least.

I am not trying to sway anyone to the "dark side" and go against Goozex. I am sure there are many folks who have had nothing, but great experiences. Unfortunately, my recent experiences have been mostly negative in a grand fashion. I hope they are successful and people make up their own mind about the site. I just wanted to post this experience and see what other's thought.

I used to rabidly defend Goozex because the ONE problem I've had in just about 100 trades was taken care of without incident. I think the site has outgrown the model they established however. I find myself making direct trades on other sites (I *hate* doing this) because the supply/demand curved is seriously fucked nowadays. I have several thousand points and a handful of games I can part with, but not going to waste my time if I'm waiting 6-9 months for a game to be available if I wasn't up at 1am EST to refresh-add.

For games that aren't recent, the system still works well (point system needs better adjustments though.. MGS4 still 950 points with 60 available copies? I've found it easier to trade games I have directly for recent games on other sites and just burn through my goozex points replacing the games I trade away but still want. The 1000 point limit is outdated.

Wow how great is that, customer service accusing you of deliberately fucking up the game *sarcasm*. To me that kind of response from CS sounds pathetic and ludicrous.

I'm surprised you even received a response from them. They have terrible customer service. I tried emailing them to report a bad trader and never heard back. The guy I was matched up with had 3 negatives out of 4 trades, all of which related to never receiving the game. Yet they didn't remove him from the system.

I hope you get your points back because I think they're all talk about the bad traders. I used to like this site but the CS sucks. So now Goozex is the last place I unload games.

this is the thing I'm afraid of getting used games, getting PS3 games would be no problem since the blu-ray coating protects the surface

[quote name='thebob101']You didn't read my last paragraph did you. I asked politely for folks not to flame or post if they were just going to be negative. I have waited and recevied nothing from Goozex since the email.

I don't think I am special, I just think that someone with a great trading record should be given the benefit of the doubt and not accused of purposely destroying a disc.

Your insults just show your "interwebz courage." Seriously, shut the fuck up and leave the thread alone if you don't like it. There is no need to thread crap.

So, please go fuck yourself and stay out of my affairs if you don't have anything constructive to say.

Oh, I am not asking for anyone to do anything. I thought I would post the email to see what others would suggest to do, not to have someone tell me I am wrong and to just deal with it.[/quote]

I think someone is getting a bit too emotional here.

And I don't know why you think I'm against you. I would be rightly mad myself if they think I'm ruining discs.

I assume that they already spoken with the other person.

So what we have here is He did this, and he did that... neither story lines up right, so what's Goozex to do.

Like I stated before, it's best to know what the ending comes out really. I could care less the story that got there. So please, respond back when you hear from them or what happends because I'm curious.

And now I must ask... what IS there to do...?

Point refund is within Goozex's right, Banning is withint Goozex's right, you getting more upset about it is your right.

We can't do anything besides talk about it, and still there really isn't anything to do.

What do you want to happen now, since you don't care about the points, have Goozex apologize?

sure, say it sucks, but hey.... why bother posting about it, but to complain about it.

This is like a cliffhanger and really no point in telling it if no one is going to find out what the ending is.... so I'll wait for it. See what Goozex says.

sorry to hear that op. they dont know how to handle your case i guess, and the best possible solution is the replies they had probably made to other goozex members. it seems to me that the actual email could have been sent to another person before you. it could be a generic response. either way, it doesnt seem right to accuse you. lets see those pictures.

[quote name='thebob101']To make a long story short, I received a 1000 point game (Xenogears) from a new Goozex member (4 completed trades). The trader sent the game wrapped in paper and tape and by the time it got to me, the front was crushed, disc one was so scratched I wouldn't even put it in my ps3 and I had to leave the Received Unplayable Disc negative. So, it took Goozex a week to reply to the dispute and then I receive this email from them:

Dear ....,

After review of this transaction we would like to clarify a few points in a private email. Here is what we see with package you sent us:

We know from previous experience that Disc 1 was intentionally damaged by the severity of the scratches and the motion they left behind. The same scratches can be recreated with a Brillo pad or other similar coarse material. The circular and back and forth motion is consistent with hand damage.

Now we understand if you received a 1,000 point game that is considered a collector’s item in less than desirable condition. We also understand you may have thought the only way to receive a refund of points was to report unplayable disc and create excessive damage. If this is the case, we would like to work with you to avoid this type of situation in the future, since you are an excellent trader!

If this is not the case, then we need you to send us in a reply email that you confirm not causing damage to Disc 1 of this game. This would mean you are stating that the seller intentionally shipped a heavily damaged game to you. We will then take the matter to the seller and see if they need to be removed from the system for intentionally damaging a disc and then sending it to another member.

Needless to say, I am very upset for being accused of intentionally damaging a disc to get my points back. This is the last straw and I am finished with Goozex. Their customer service is horrible and there are way too many deadbeat traders on the site now.

Please do not flame or make stupid comments in this thread, I would greatly appreciate it. I take this accusation very seriously and am completely confused after 200+ positive trades why they would take this stance.[/QUOTE]

Hey Bob,

Man this sucks, I am sorry to hear this happened to you.

I agree the letter is structured incorrectly and that history should be a factor in how this is/was handled. And I completely understand your anger behind it, but I am going to be honest, Goozex seems to be dealing with many complaints of user fraud lately, especially with people not being happy with the package they received. I know I have heard people complaining about receiving Players Hits/Platinum versions of games, and demanding a refund. If the user did not get their way, they would then follow the course of action outlined in the Goozex letter (which is freaking ridiculous, hell Game Developers don't care as much about their games as these people do) Now from meeting you, I am pretty certain you would not do this, because you are not crazy. But, I also know, I saw a similar letter when I received a none functioning copy of Minish Cap. I simply told them that the condition I received the package in, was the condition they outlined in the email and that they needed to talk to the seller. I did not take it as an accusation at the time, because I could see Ebay or Amazon asking a similar question. To me, it does not seem like a personal attack on you, just a bad written (which we need to bring up at the next meetup) letter. But, like I said, I get where you are coming from. I hate to see you stop using Goozex, because you are on the short list of people I know I will never have a problem with, along with the other DC/VA CAGs -- though I know G-nitro is not wild about trading with me because I have let two of his offers lapse while dealing with the polar bears up here. Anyway, I am sorry to see this happen to you, if there is anything I can help with, give me a heads up and hope to see you at the next meetup.

Tiny Out.

Let me give some history to explain why I am at this point with Goozex. I just didn't have this experience and decide that I am not going to use Goozex.

1. My account gets hacked- the hacker deletes a lot of games in My Request's and starts getting games sent to them (yes, they were stupid enough to put in their address). I ask for help resolving the situation and nothing gets done on Goozex's end. I had games being sent from Canada, lost my place in line for at least 15 games if not more and it took about a month to resolve everything (on my own with no help from Goozex).

2. User accuses me of slitting open a brand new game, replacing original disc with bootleg copy of RE 1 for the ps1 and Goozex allows the user to keep the game (they get the 1000 points and trade credit back).

3. Numerous games I have received recently that are in very poor condition, incomplete or just never sent.

So, it has been a bunch of situation that have brought me to this point. At one point, I PMed one of the owners which I have met several times offering to help/volunteer and never received a response. I am just at the point where enough is enough.

[quote name='thebob101']You didn't read my last paragraph did you. I asked politely for folks not to flame or post if they were just going to be negative. I have waited and recevied nothing from Goozex since the email.

Oh, I am not asking for anyone to do anything. I thought I would post the email to see what others would suggest to do, not to have someone tell me I am wrong and to just deal with it.[/quote]

That's like having a neon sign that says "FLAME ME". You shouldn't have to say it if you believe you're not going to get flamed.

Goozex isn't accusing you of anything. They need a statement from you which verifies that you received the disc in that condition, and that the damage did not happen after you received the disc. This confirmation is then used to validate their case against the other user. All they are asking for is verification in order to avoid possible confusion.

[quote name='edavis0780']That's like having a neon sign that says "FLAME ME". You shouldn't have to say it if you believe you're not going to get flamed.

Goozex isn't accusing you of anything. They need a statement from you which verifies that you received the disc in that condition, and that the damage did not happen after you received the disc. This confirmation is then used to validate their case against the other user. All they are asking for is verification in order to avoid possible confusion.[/quote]

I repsectfully disagree on both points, I would hope that most CAGs could be respectful enough to not flame me or thread crap.

There are a couple of things in the letter that would lead me to believe I am being accused such as "The same scratches can be recreated with a Brillo pad or other similar coarse material. The circular and back and forth motion is consistent with hand damage" and "We also understand you may have thought the only way to receive a refund of points was to report unplayable disc and create excessive damage."

[quote name='edavis0780']That's like having a neon sign that says "FLAME ME". You shouldn't have to say it if you believe you're not going to get flamed.

Goozex isn't accusing you of anything. They need a statement from you which verifies that you received the disc in that condition, and that the damage did not happen after you received the disc. This confirmation is then used to validate their case against the other user. All they are asking for is verification in order to avoid possible confusion.[/QUOTE]

"We also understand you may have thought the only way to receive a refund of points was to report unplayable disc and create excessive damage."

They are flat out suggesting that he may have took steel wool to the disc to create excessive damage, because he didn't like the condition of the game when he received it. That's horrible customer support to suggest a customer of that considering the game was sent through the mail with just paper on it; people shouldn't be trading if they can't spend $1.00 on a fricking bubble mailer. Whoever sends something through the mail that carelessly should automatically be considered at fault if the item comes up damaged.

If that's how they decide to verify the situation, they might as well just get out of business now and save themselves a few years of trouble.

I also sent them the packaging (paper and tape) with the game when they asked for it to be sent to their offices thinking that they could see how careless the trader was in sending the game.

If you live 10 minutes from the goozex office, why not just drive up there with the game and the packaging, and bitch to them in person?

That seems like it would be more effective than emails.

[quote name='darkslime']If you live 10 minutes from the goozex office, why not just drive up there with the game and the packaging, and bitch to them in person?

That seems like it would be more effective than emails.[/quote]

I asked them once if they wanted me to drop off a game when we were trading and they said they weren't comfortable with that, so I will respect their wishes.

[quote name='thebob101']I repsectfully disagree on both points, I would hope that most CAGs could be respectful enough to not flame me or thread crap.

There are a couple of things in the letter that would lead me to believe I am being accused such as "The same scratches can be recreated with a Brillo pad or other similar coarse material. The circular and back and forth motion is consistent with hand damage" and "We also understand you may have thought the only way to receive a refund of points was to report unplayable disc and create excessive damage."[/quote]

"After review of this transaction we would like to clarify a few points in a private email. Here is what we see with package you sent us:

According to what you posted, this is the letter you received from Goozex. I am assuming that there is no information missing which might change the details regarding the situation.

The two words I have put in bold show that they want to confirm and avoid confusion.

The underline paragraph which describes the damage in no way states that they are accusing you of causing the damage. They are objectively stating how they believe such damage can occur.

I know that they might not have worded things in the best way, but they simply need to have you personally state something in order to cover their asses legally. I had to identify someone for the police, and I had to physically point out the person even though they gave me a description and told me that their vehicle had been the same one I described.

Think about it like this, when you go to the post office and the postman (or postwoman) asks you whether or not you are shipping any liquids, flammables, or explosives, they're not accusing you of shipping those items. They're only confirming that you are not shipping those items.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='edavis0780']We also understand you may have thought the only way to receive a refund of points was to report unplayable disc and create excessive damage. [/quote]

Worded incorrectly or not, this is blatantly suggesting that this damage was caused purposefully in order to get a refund of his points.

[quote name='scorpiolaw']Worded incorrectly or not, this is blatantly suggesting that this damage was caused purposefully in order to get a refund of his points.[/quote]

This looks like a standard boiler plate statement. All they want to do is clarify when the damage occurred. It's probably something that they're attorney advised them to ask or legally obligated to ask in order to act against the other user.

[quote name='andytep']Well, I think the users piss me off just as much as the customer service. Dude sends me uncharted, sends a message bitching at me to leave feedback the day it arrived. Wow, I wasn't even home to receive the package, this guy can't wait more than a couple hours before sending a PM? So I go to check out the package and the guy didn't even use a bubble mailer. fucking paper and tape. Thankfully the disc wasn't damaged and I still left positive feedback. I just left a little comment on there about the use of cheap envelopes so that others would be aware and the guy goes emo on me in another PM. He acts like he didn't get his points or something.[/quote]

I agree with you as far as the users go but in regards to users who do not leave feedback. I had reached my limit for sending games and politely asked the guy to leave appropriate feedback whenever he had any time to do so (the game had arrived 2 days prior to my request). The douche decides to wait as long as possible to leave me feedback (2 weeks), then writes how I was pushy and such, etc. To deliberately WAIT and not leave feedback should have some sort of consequence on that user since it directly impacts the seller. I know the guy waited on purpose because he wrote that he felt he should leave fb whenever he felt the need to...I mean I leave fb as soon as I can test the game - it's common courtesy.

[quote name='whitedeath']that sucks o.p this is why i would never use there site as i have heard many people have terrible expierences[/quote]

To be honest, I've never been "scammed" on Goozex, I don't think that it is even possible. This is because, if you don't get a playable game, you get your points back. The only gripe someone might have would be not receiving a manual or game case on rare occasion, but to me goozex is the safest way of trading games via the internet (yes, safer than cag). I really don't expect pristine quality out of goozex, so I'm not suprised if I get a no manual here and there (I leave an appropriate nuetral of course). However, because of this low expectation, it's nice when someone sends a sealed game :D.

either way the email is suggesting the OP or the seller intentionally sent a scratched up game back to them. Which may not be the case at all, from what the OP described it just sounds like poor packaging from the seller's end. And they'll probably ban the seller. Whether it was done intentionally or not they will be pointing the finger at someone for the fucked up game. It just sounds like a bad way of handling things.

The first time I read it, I got the same impression as the OP. The second time, it just sounds like they're trying to tell the idiots who really would scratch a disc to not do that.

I agree that it is poorly worded.

bread's done
Back