My power adapter is dead, what can I do?

legaleagle

CAG Veteran
My power adapter (the big block with the plug) is dead. How much is it to buy a new one? Does MS cover them in their warranty?

Covered by warranty if w/in a year. Otherwise you'll have to buy a new one. From 30 seconds of searching on Google they look pretty expensive.

I called MS a while back and asked how much it would cost me to purchase the 220v version of the PSU (I was moving to a 220v country). Not only did they want to charge $129 for the PSU, they also wanted me to send them my 110v PSU! fuck that.

When I moved here to China, I bought a 110-220 converter, but when I plugged it in the whole thing fried... Guess the converter had a failure - luckily I didn't plug it into the xbox.

I had the whole thing rebuilt by some Chinese guys. They cracked it (literally) open and started replacing components inside. It was quite amazing. Got it back a few days later, cost me like 20RMB which is less than 3 dollars and it works fine. Although it's not in the best shape anymore - one of the screws is missing, and the casing is kind of cracked a little bit.

This won't help you though as you're not in China - just felt like sharing this story.

[quote name='vpr']When I moved here to China, I bought a 110-220 converter, but when I plugged it in the whole thing fried... Guess the converter had a failure - luckily I didn't plug it into the xbox.

I had the whole thing rebuilt by some Chinese guys. They cracked it (literally) open and started replacing components inside. It was quite amazing. Got it back a few days later, cost me like 20RMB which is less than 3 dollars and it works fine. Although it's not in the best shape anymore - one of the screws is missing, and the casing is kind of cracked a little bit.

This won't help you though as you're not in China - just felt like sharing this story.[/QUOTE]

LOL! Another similarity between us. I bought a power converter here in Indonesia which blew up the first time I plugged it in. Fortunately my 360 wasn't connected to the converter when this happened. I exchanged the converter and have been using my 360 ever since.

[quote name='daphatty']LOL! Another similarity between us. I bought a power converter here in Indonesia which blew up the first time I plugged it in. Fortunately my 360 wasn't connected to the converter when this happened. I exchanged the converter and have been using my 360 ever since.[/quote]

I remember that thread. Moral of the story, never let your game console be the first thing you plug into a power converter! Try a lamp or something.

I cant believe Microsoft wanted to bend you over like that for a 220v power supply.

I was thinking of getting a second power adapter to make it easier to move the console between two rooms. Guess I can scratch that idea...

Wow, great link Shrike. I think I might actually buy one. I'm headed back to the US in a couple weeks and would prefer not to carry the PSU with me. $30 is actually a decent price.

Any free ship coupons to this site? Microsoft (and their idiot customer service) is jerking me around on this. In the meantime, I can't play my 360. Maybe I should have purchased a PS3 so I could be playing something.

Have any of you ever had to ship your adapter or anything else back to msft at your own expense even if it was in the 1 year warranty period?

I wouldn't accept that. In fact, they don't need the old one at all, screw that. Just make them send a new one.

[quote name='porieux']I wouldn't accept that. In fact, they don't need the old one at all, screw that. Just make them send a new one.[/quote]

It is crap. I can't check to see if the 360 they sent me even works because I don't have a power supply.

Buy a new 360 and swap the power convertors and then take it back to the store for a full refund.

bread's done
Back