My PS3 got the YLOD...What next?

b1rdman

CAGiversary!
I have a 40 gb fat PS3. It's been running strong for the 3/4 years I've owned it but earlier today it died. YLOD.

I looked at my options and they are as follows:

1. Send it to Sony for $99.00 + tax and hope they fix/replace it.

2. Send it to Gophermods for $79.99 and hope they fix it and it lasts another 6 months-1 year.

3. Sell it for parts and put the money towards a new PS3. (Although I can't really afford more than $100 out of pocket for a new PS3 so this will be tough to figure out.)

4. Sell it for parts and just play my 360 until I decide to get a PS4. (But at this point I only have Forza 4; the only games I want to play in the future are multiplatform.)

Any thoughts on which option is best?

Any experiences of sending a PS3 to Sony or Gophermods?

Mine recently died as well, and I'm still trying to figure out my best course of action.  I think I'm going to try to do a reflow with a heat gun so it will hopefully run long enough for me to back up the hard drive.  Then, after that, I think I'm going to wait until Black Friday to get a replacement PS3.

I was going to wait until PS4 came out and just get that on launch, but there are quite a few PS3 games that came out/will come out in the next couple months that I want to play.  I figure the games I can get with PS3 will hold me off for a little while, and by the time I get a PS4 there will be a larger library.

I would suggest going the sony route because they can give you a refurbished unit. You will not get your same one back. Repairing by a repair shop would only be a short term solution (i repair consoles for a living). If you never repaired it before i would send it to sony if the warranty is already voided i would repair it locally.

I called Sony today. After talking to 2 different people these are my options:

1. Pay $99 and send it in. They fix my PS3 and send it back.

2. Pay $99 and send it in. They send me a refurbished 40gb back.

Don't really like either because the YLOD could easily happen again. 

They did say that if I had a backwards compatible 60/80gb with YLOD, I could upgrade it to a Slim for like $150. Of course the 40gb isn't eligible for that.

Sony's online store is selling a 320 gb refurbed slim for $199. Might think about that.

Those first two options don't sound too good since the old PS3s are just ticking bombs with YLoD. Best bet is the refurb slim. Not sure how long warranties are on those though. 

I have a new PS3 from the Target clearance I'm trying to get rid of if you're interested. Send me a PM if you are.

Yeah the best deal really was that Target clearance on the super slim 160gb for $124. Target is kicking butt this year on clearance devices. I bought both my Vita and my WiiU off Target.

An extra $20 bucks vs the repair is worth it for not having to deal with any hassles or wait on shipping. Sell the busted one to someone who will refurb it.

Worst case scenario you wait for black friday and get a deal then but you'd be missing out on gta v. I wouldn't wait that long. HOpefully there'll be more deals posted. Just gotta keep watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sold mine on Amazon as-is for $90  :whee:

Putting that towards a $199 320gb refurb Slim from Sony which comes with the standard 1 year warranty.

Good deal.  Glad it worked out.  Still lots to play on PS3, and can always put off PS4 purchase if you need to save back up and just play PS3 stuff till spring or whatever.  I'll probably keep my PS4 preorder for the hell of it, but launch line up is pretty bland.

Agreed, and thanks! After looking more at the launch titles for PS4 and upcoming games, I'm pretty comfortable sticking with PS3 for a long while. GTA5, Watch Dogs, Beyond 2 Souls, Assassin's Creed 4, GT6, etc. will all be available for PS3. Why upgrade right away?

Plus, I still have to play the Last of Us.  :shock:

Agreed, and thanks! After looking more at the launch titles for PS4 and upcoming games, I'm pretty comfortable sticking with PS3 for a long while. GTA5, Watch Dogs, Beyond 2 Souls, Assassin's Creed 4, GT6, etc. will all be available for PS3. Why upgrade right away?

Plus, I still have to play the Last of Us. :shock:
You are in for a treat.

I'm only preordered for PS4 because its so damn cheap and i think they'll be sold out by christmas. I dont want to regret not picking one up. Wosrst case scenario i figure i'll be able to sell it to someone for a profit or at least return it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last of Us is amazing.  Definitely worth getting the PS3 replaced just for that, much less the other stuff you listed. :D

Reballing is only a temp fix to prolong its death for just a little while longer. It roughly will last about 6 months then die off again.
I thought reflowing was only a temporary fix since it used the same bad soldering, whereas reballing was a more permanent fix where they clean out the old and use new higher quality solder.

bread's done
Back