My Sexy Home Theater Setup (and the deals I got)

lolwaut

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
The title of this forum says deal bragging rights... thats what im about to do. All prices listed are after shipping/taxes/etc.

Pictured you can see:

TV: Sony KDL-52w4100 --- $1359 from last weeks amazon price mistake (posted on SD) --This is a SICK TV, 1080p, 120hz, 52" LCD
TV Stand ----- $120 at CC Clearance (supposedly 70% off... i dont buy it but still a really good deal for a stand of that size and quality)
Ten (10) 6 ft. HDMI cables ---- $20 from PCMicroStore.com coupon promo (posted on SD)
APC C3 AV C Type 8 Outlet Surge Protector & Noise Filter ----- $25 from Costco.com after $35 instant rebate

Total for all of the above = $1525

Also pictured ---

Rock Band 2 SE - $109 from TRU price mistake
Sony PSEye - $25 with Eye of Judgement game (used/mint - ebay)
Official Sony PS3 Headset - $17 (brand new - ebay)
Toshiba A2 HD-DVD Player - $100 from Wal-mart secret sale (before the format died)

i really just wanted to show off my sexy new tv, but im also proud of how well i did on the cost of everything. just tell me the tv is sexy and ill be happy :D

100_1232.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. Now do yourself a favor and find a drawer to put those 5 remotes in and go buy yourself a Harmony 880 or Harmony One. Best money you will spend. There are often deals to be found.

[quote name='krumc']Very nice. Now do yourself a favor and find a drawer to put those 5 remotes in and go buy yourself a Harmony 880 or Harmony One. Best money you will spend. There are often deals to be found.[/quote]

i know, i need to get one... i see deals on them all the time on SD.... the thing that really bugs me about getting one of those things is that my ps3 wont work with it which is really lame since i use it all the time. sony is retarded for not equipping the ps3 with IR. :(

[quote name='lolwaut']i know, i need to get one... i see deals on them all the time on SD.... the thing that really bugs me about getting one of those things is that my ps3 wont work with it which is really lame since i use it all the time. sony is retarded for not equipping the ps3 with IR. :([/quote]

You think so? I would figure IR is a step back and more and more equipment will use bluetooth or similar going forward.

TV rocks.. how's your audio system?

[quote name='QiG']You think so? I would figure IR is a step back and more and more equipment will use bluetooth or similar going forward.

TV rocks.. how's your audio system?[/quote]

it sounds great for 2.1 but unfortunately thats all it is, 2.1 :( . i would love to get a 7.1 setup but not only can i not afford it at the moment, but i really dont have the space to pull it off. right now im running two 10 year old cerwin-vegas and a 10 year old powered yamaha 8" sub off a lower end JVC receiver that is probably about 3 years old.... nothing special at all but it's fine for the time being.

i love this tv so much, i cant believe i got so lucky on the price.... amazon cancelled everyones order on SD except for 3 people (at least thats all that reported that their deals went through)... i was one of the lucky ones. as for BT being the future, you are right... it is the future and i love that sony uses the technology; however, it causes compatability problems with everything else when there is not much else that uses it (i.e. universal remotes)... additionally, it pisses me off that sony wont open up the bluetooth functionality of the controllers to the devs.... ps3 owners of RB/GH or any other game with special controllers are either stuck with wired controllers or, more commonly, ugly IR receiver dongles which the 360 and wii do not need.

ill see you on MS:pR tonight.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Definitely like the TV you got and the setup looks very nice. :D I look to really overhaul my setup once I move out.[/quote]

Thanks! Ill see you on MS:pR tonight too!

[quote name='gorgo']I see you have two turntables, sir, but do you have a microphone?[/quote]

LOL... i have the one that came with rock band.... does that count?

[quote name='addicted2games']Nice tv, that white thing on the left looks out of place with the more comtemporary (sp) furniture.[/quote]

wow, i cant believe you said that... i got in a fight with my girlfriend the other day about this very issue. i tried to move that thing out of the living room and she threw a fit because it is her piece of furniture and she wanted it to stay there.... i just put it back, its not worth the hassle to me. but, i do know that it looks very awkward and agree with you 100%. unfortunately, my other half begs to differ

If I were you I would be knocking that defuser over almost everyday (the scented thing in the middle of the table)

But nice setup

[quote name='omg itz adam']If I were you I would be knocking that defuser over almost everyday (the scented thing in the middle of the table)

But nice setup[/quote]

that has actually never been knocked over and i have 3 cats.... but as far as things getting knocked over goes, those chess pieces are a daily annoyance.... especially with the cats... and thanks!

[quote name='lolwut?']This setup lacks audio and therefore fails[/quote]

bleh... i know.... i probably shouldnt have title the thread "home theater" setup because it really isnt.... more accurately, its my tv setup. i really need to do something about the audio... those truehd receivers are just too costly for me right now... once i find a deal ill probably upgrade even though im going to be pressed for space.

[quote name='lolwut?']This setup lacks audio and therefore fails
pixel.gif

[/quote]

Lack of audio does not equal fail.

What is SD? you say you saw it as posted on "SD"?

Thanks

[quote name='lolwaut']bleh... i know.... i probably shouldnt have title the thread "home theater" setup because it really isnt.... more accurately, its my tv setup. i really need to do something about the audio... those truehd receivers are just too costly for me right now... once i find a deal ill probably upgrade even though im going to be pressed for space.[/quote]

Indeed. I came expecting a sexy home theatre and was left with a flaccid johnson. Still a nice pick-up on the T.V. though.

Audio is tough because it can add up quite quickly. A good receiver alone will be upwards of $500, and then you have at least 5 additional speakers to pay for. That's the only reason I'm still running a "3.1" setup using this shitty Regent receiver I got a long time ago. :cool:

also there is a blu ray remote you can buy for the ps3 that can usually be had for between 5 and 10 dollars and makes it ir capable.

TV is nice (especially since you got an LCD) but I see two pretty common mistakes that many people make: putting stuff on top of their speakers and leaving their speakers on the ground.

Don't mean to insult your set up but just offer a few simple tips which can make a difference.

I have a PS3 and I just bought the Niko IR remote for it. Its like $10 and it allows my 880 to control 90% of the things I need on the PS3. It just can't turn it on or off. Otherwise it works perfect for viewing blu ray and dvd. I figure I have to go put in the disc and take it out anyway so I just turn it on/off at the PS3 now.

bread's done
Back