My studio's WiiWare launch game...Critter Round-Up/Saku Saku Animal Panic....IS OUT!

roland13x

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey guys,

I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a topic about the Japanese WiiWare launch yet, so here goes.

I'd also like to (selfishly) announce that my studio's first title is a part of this Japanese launch. We created the Saku Saku Animal Panic game for Konami, and the entire team is extremely happy with how the game turned out. We had 3 months from start to finish, and we ended up as the only Western developed game at launch. We're going to be hitting the US and Europe launches as well, though with a slightly different title. Once that happens, I promise I'll get a contest on here and give away as many copies as I can.

We just got our first preview, and so far so good. http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/03/wiiware-impre-3.html

I'd love to hear if any of our Japanese CAG brethren have checked out our game, or any of the others!

[edit - Title changd....I'm such a whore...but I'm just so excited about our game, I had to share!]

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2008/03/25/wiiware-launches-in-japan/

And it sounds…pretty bad, if you ask me. Chris Kohler from Wired has ripped into a number of the lesser launch titles already, and they all seem to have two things in common: high price tags and minimal substance. The 1000-point Lonpos, in particular, looks absolutely awful, and adding insult to injury, it’s pay-to-play for additional content. I’m there!

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, which already sported a hefty price tag of 1500 Wii points, has also been confirmed to be a pay-to-play title, as the download screen above shows. Yikes. I think the only WiiWare title I’m still excited about is Dr. Mario.

:(

Please see the Wii Shop thread, as it is a catch-all thread for Wiiware, and thus all discussion should be placed there.

Also, pay-for-play/DLC remains to be seen if it is implemented well or not. Complaining about it already is just....dumb.

If OP changes the subject to reflect his company's game only, I'm sure a separate thread could be justified.

Anyway, Youu Esss Ayyy! Youuu Esss Ayyy! Youu Esss Ayyy!

Go gaijin! Go ahmerikajin!

And congrats, OP! Now go post some more game sale data. ;)

[quote name='gunm']If OP changes the subject to reflect his company's game only, I'm sure a separate thread could be justified.

Anyway, Youu Esss Ayyy! Youuu Esss Ayyy! Youu Esss Ayyy!

Go gaijin! Go ahmerikajin!

And congrats, OP! Now go post some more game sale data. ;)[/QUOTE]

Good call. Changed title.

And I'm working my tail off for that sales data!!!

[quote name='ananag112']Your game looks a lot like a ton of flash games you can find for free online. My favorite being PacXon.

http://www.addictinggames.com/pacxon.html?r=user_posted_link

Looks fun. How much does it cost?[/QUOTE]

I hadn't heard of that game. But I find it kind of amusing that people get what the basic inspiration is without actually getting what the original inspiration is. Animal Panic's fence building mechanic is more based on QIX, which is what this game is clearly based on. But instead of trying to fill out the screen, you need to capture the different critters into pens, which in some ways is the opposite of what QIX is about. We also have the ability to break fences, so clever players will figure out ways of corralling the same-species together for higher scores. All this across 70 designed levels and a random level generator.

We've also got up to 4 player co-op (which is ridiculously fun), and a couple of 4 player competitive minigames.

Konami is in charge of the pricing, and they have it at 1000 points.

I saw the Game|Life preview earlier and it looks really fun. When I get around to buying some Wii points I'll likely pick this up, I can't wait to try it out.

I'm also really excited for the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game, despite all the controversy surrounding it. When everything with the DLC gets sorted out, it'll probably get a purchase from me as well. I'm okay with paying a buck or two for a new race or something but if I have to do it every time I want to start a new game then I just can't fathom that. Aside from that, the game looks like a lot of fun. I'm really excited to see what dev's do with WiiWare, everything so far looks definitely... interesting.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Oh man, Qix. I think I still have a copy of that for the original gameboy.[/QUOTE]

Heck, I still have my Qix cartridge for the Atari 5200. Great game. Four-player Qix? Sign me up.

[quote name='gunm']If OP changes the subject to reflect his company's game only, I'm sure a separate thread could be justified.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed (and roland has already changed the title). It's OK to highlight this independent of the catch-all thread as a CAG was involved in development and is thus available for questions/comments/etc (not to mention the giveaways he says he might be able to provide ;)).

Congrats, roland. The video I checked out on Nicovideo looked pretty good!

I assume the 4 player is local?

And the random level generator is good news, I'd be worried about running out of puzzles otherwise. Though it's certainly prime for replay and higher scores.

Roland, will your title definitely be making the US WiiWare launch? Any idea on pricing yet for the US market?

Well, it's getting close to launch time for WiiWare. Believe it or not, we still don't know if we're going to be a launch day title like we were in Japan, or get released the following week. I'd like to think that Nintendo has a plan in place, but often I think Nintendo just moves in mysterious ways.

We've had a lot of positive press so far, though no official reviews. This is probably my favorite article so far: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/872/872342p1.html

And a quick interview we did with Siliconera: http://www.siliconera.com/2008/05/06/rounding-up-critter-round-up-and-wiiware-questions-for-konami/

As I mentioned before, I'd like to get a contest going on CAG to give away a couple copies, but there's a few pieces of logistics to take care of before that's official. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks guys!

bread's done
Back