My take on the "next generation" of gaming...

STATIC3D

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Okay, so I had some time to kill...

The "next generation" (next gen) of gaming is finally arrived (this weekend all players will be out there). While MS did have a year lead, they somewhat hurt themselves early on with shortages and the time it took to get ramped up for supply to meet demand. However, even if supply had been able to meet demand, MS "may" not have sold many (if any) more conosle than they have up until now.

Why? Well, beyond the people that were ticked early on and decided not to buy one, or, those that wanted to wait to see what the PS3 can do, there are now PLEANTY of XBOX 360's on store shelves. And, it's not like they are flying off the shelves either. In fact, even with the XBXO 360 being the first next gen console out, 11 out of the past 12 months, the PS2 has still outsold it (ouch).

Taking a look at the XBOX 360 games, it seems as if Call of Duty and Gears of War have been the two big titles with real "draw" for many interested in XBOX 360. I mean, how excited can you get about King Kong when gameplay-wise, it's the same as the XBOX version. This seems to mirror the earlier part about the PS2 outselling the XBOX 360. SO much effort with the XBOX 360/PS3 has been put into the GRAPHICS side of things. Yet, some of the EXACT same gameplay is still available on the current gen consoles (XBOX/PS2/GC).

All that aside, every company is going to be out there now. And, just like last year with the XBOX 360, there are going to be a good many gamers that want a PS3 under the Christmas tree that will be having that "lump of coal in a stocking" feeling (i.e. no chance). While people (and some will) spend and arm and a leg for a PS3, the majority of people are not going to be. So, the true success of the PS3, just like the XBOX 360 last year, is going to be up in the air until later down the road.

Next, we have the wii from Nintendo. By focusing on more gaming (more specifically gameplay with the wii controller) and not graphics, Nintendo just put themselves into an interesting position. A) Most people have seen what the XBOX 360 can do (with GoW being the main title this holiday season). B) PS3's will be in such short supply that people may need to look elsewhere. C) Price...Nintendo has XBOX 360 and PS3 beat by a mile. This isn't to say that Nintendo has "won", simply they have a good chance to possibly re-obtain some market share lost over the past console generations (sales of which has continually declined since the NES to the CG). It's simply that if someone wants something "new" (both as a new item and innovative), they might look to the wii.

However, I want to go back to what I said earlier about the PS2 outselling the XBOX 360 11 out of the past 12 months (again, ouch). Why would THE oldest console from the previous generation STILL be able to outsell the NEW (next gen) console which is obviously vastly superior in hardware/capabilities? The price obviously has a big impact factor on this one. The size of the game libraries as well (PS2 wins). However, beyond all that, there have been other products hit store shelves that were more expensive, and less supported, that were able to outsell the old stuff...so, why not the XBOX 360?

Perhaps, JUST perhaps, it has to do with the fact that many mass market consumers (the ones that make up the majority of the market and MUST adopt a new technology, beyond the hardcore crowd, to make it a success) are just not ready yet. While the graphics of these newer games are prettier (and definitely next gen in some cases), perhaps there is something within the actual gameplay that some people have yet to see take that "next gen" step. When games CAN be played on both next gen and current gen consoles, perhaps some people may be asking, why should someone spend "X" amount to play (basically) the same game on a new console? Along with that, XBOX 360 and PS3 take a pretty hefty chunk out of one's wallet even to just play one game.

Looking back in history of gaming, from one generation to the next, there was usually a large enough step (beyond just prettier graphics) that affected HOW a game was played, that kept it from being able to be done on the previous generation of console technology. Yet, with this next generation of consoles, the "leap" doesn't seem quite as big. Sure, the games are prettier, but, are they THAT different that what's on the current generation? In some cases, no. Combine that with the price for getting into the next gen consoles, many mass market consumers may continue to purchase PS2's over these newer consoles for a while.

These are just some thoughts. I'm not trying to stir the pot or get a flame war started. I just have a little different view of "next gen" gaming than some other people.

Interesting take there Static,

I happen to disagree on a few points here.

1) I'm not sure it's such a huge ouch that the Xbox 360 is getting outsold by the PS2. I think you have 2 different markets here. Gamers are still buying the 360 for price. The PS2 is cheap enough now that non gamers will buy it just to try it out, or it's time to buy one for the kids. I think this is pretty normal. A far scarier fact will be, after Christmas, if the Xbox 360 can't outsell the Wii or PS3 for a few months after the demand starts to fall.

Secondly, I think you have some odd things this generation that you haven't had in previous generations that is delaying the consumers to make the jump. Number 1 is games. I think the biggest game this Christmas is FFXII or Gears of War. Gears is on the 360, but FFXII is on the PS2, a last generation system. Twilight Princess will also be huge, but that can also be played on the Cube. Between that, and just the massive amount of good games, I think many people are intentionally waiting it out. I think that's normal right now.

I'd say, wait for E3. E3 next year will be a huge springboard for these systems (or whatever the big show is if E3 isn't as big). It'll be because all the big games being displayed will be for this generation, you won't have great games on the previous systems being shown. I think by then, most people will be ready to make the leap.

Honestly, even though I just got a 360 (Oblivion was the game that sold me)(well, getting it for Christmas, too much work to be done to have it before then), I am still excited about the previous generation. But, once GTA IV, Halo III, and others take the limelight, I think these systems will take over.

I'm thinking back, last time, I don't think PS2 was huge that first year (yeah, it dominated Christmas, but you could have lived on your PS1 that year with FFIX and others and been perfectly content)

as far as these new systems go i dont care. not to say i didnt at first but man i just got sucked into the hype. when you stand back take a deep breath and look at whats out there none of its really all that exciting. the xbox 360 right now has the best games but honestly theres only so many games to me that stand out on the system. most of those games are either copies of already established genres or theyre original games that are great but end too soon.

yeah the ps3 is the most powerful of the 3 but aside from the flaws that are coming out there wont be any really great games till next year posisbly the middle of the year and im still mad they dont have rumbling controllers and the price is way too high to part with i dont care if the thing could cook fuckin eggs and give you a hummer later 600 pluss is alot to shell out when you have rent and bills. yeah their controller does motion trickes but much like the wiimote how long will that really add anything to games before you get tired of it?

and i know you dont need to use that function on the ps3 systems but this motion controller is the big pull for the wii and if you have to do all those wierd motions for every wii game id think youd be annoyed at having to remember diff controller motions for every game unless they all use the same motions then whats the freakin point? and again aside from mario zelda and the usual suspects i think of most nintendo systems nowdays as throwaway systems . basially you buy them dirt cheap just so you can play the next installments of their usual franchises then move onto your core system ( either a sony system or microsoft).

the one system im honestly excited about is the ds and thats because its got amazing games coming out for it and hell even those pokemon games look nice but aside from that nothign else seems worth the high price tag meaning i dont feel the need to get any of the new 3 systems.

if i could sore one of those xbox 360 core systems for 100 thatd be great but i know that wont happen sicne they will be gone before the sale starts.

im also idsheartened by all the violence during this ps3 sale i dunno if this kind of crap happend when the other systems launched except for the dc launch i preordered mine and went in picked iy up and actually rode the bus home without incident. it sucks people are going to such low lengths for a system.

lordxixor101,
Some good points. The only things is, in reguards to people waiting it out being normal. On one hand it is normal for people to wait in adopting the new tech. However, historically, there has been a dip/drop in the sales of the last generation stuff preceeding the launch of the next gen stuff. That's not the case now as PS2 sales have remained strong. But, as you said, after Christmas (and once supplies are more readily available) will be the time to tell when what is what with the next gen systems in terms of sales/success.

lokizz,
Yep, pretty much my feeling on things about not being all that excited. [*side note: I still have to question the stats us of a person being able to call themself a CAG if they are willing to pay the retail (or ebay'd) launch price for a console anway...lol.] As "pretty" as these games may be, there just isn't THAT big of a neat gameplay difference that has impressed me to the point of saying I gotta own one.

As always Static3d, you make some very good points.

I'd add that the reason I think that sales of last gen stuff havent yet dropped is that I feel this is the first generation shift weve had where the jump to the next gen is very minor.

In the past, graphical improvements were huge, as were the improvements to gameplay, more characters on screen, bigger more open environments, etc. Game controllers advanced as well, with more buttons, analog sticks, etc. I feel that these large advancements that we had in past jumps led to more of a 'must have' feeling towards those new consoles. Nintendo has def nailed the 'new controller' aspect of that this time around, but will it be enough?

As for the 360 and ps3, yes they look better, but the controllers, and gameplay are essentially the same as the past iterations of hardware. It should also be noted that the barrier to entry for these consoles is higher than it has been in the past. Not only are the consoles themselves more expensive, but their graphical upgrade really requires investing in an expensive HD television. Broadband internet is also practically a requirement for these machines.

Another issue that leads to consumers taking a wait and see approach seems the be the reletive frequency with which new consoles are released. Its no secret that Microsoft rushed the Xbox 360 to market because they were taking a bath on the original xbox, and they were eager to grab a holiday window all to themselves. This in turn forced Sony to speed development on the ps3, and rush to release the system for this holiday season. The PS2 was arguably just hittng its stride in 06, with many AAA quality titles being released for the system. Why are we in such a rush to overpay for buggy, first gen launch games? I think the average consumer doesnt want to have to upgrade their hardware every 4-5 years. Especially when that upgrade can cost upwards of $500.

I think that all of these factors add up to many consumers taking a wait and see approach to these new consoles. Of course there will always be hardcore early adopters, but console makers cant survive on their dollars alone. They need to reach mass market acceptance in order to have a chance at success.

[quote name='STATIC3D']lordxixor101,
Some good points. The only things is, in reguards to people waiting it out being normal. On one hand it is normal for people to wait in adopting the new tech. However, historically, there has been a dip/drop in the sales of the last generation stuff preceeding the launch of the next gen stuff. That's not the case now as PS2 sales have remained strong. But, as you said, after Christmas (and once supplies are more readily available) will be the time to tell when what is what with the next gen systems in terms of sales/success.[/quote]

[quote name='lokizz']

and i know you dont need to use that function on the ps3 systems but this motion controller is the big pull for the wii and if you have to do all those wierd motions for every wii game id think youd be annoyed at having to remember diff controller motions for every game unless they all use the same motions then whats the freakin point?
[/QUOTE]

Just so you know that makes absolutely no sense? Do any current games use the exact same buttons for each game regardless of genre? I dont think so.... So when you load up Halo or Gears of War do you need to reread the manual becuase its to hard to remember how to play? I highly doubt it....

So then why would the motion controlls have to all be same and why would they become any more or less appealing? Sounds to me like you are ruling it out once again without giving it a shot.

bread's done
Back