My wife just threw my new IPOD on the street

dsullo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sorry If I ramble here, I am a little upset.

I bought my new 20 Gig IPOD last Thursday. Yesterday I bought a case to go running/biking etc... My wife took it out this morning and did not realize that the case has a small hole in the top for the headphones to plug in, so she goes running with the case 1/2 zipped.

Needless to say the IPOD flies out of the case right onto the pavement.

Now it won't shut off and I can hear the harddrive clicking.

She first tried to blame it on the case, saying that you can't zip it shut. When I showed her the small hole in the top of the case she broke down and started crying.

Worst of all , I was so excited when I bought it , I have no idea where the receipt is. But I printed out the transaction from my credit card's website.

I bought it at Best Buy and she is going to see if they will exchange it since it is within 7 days. Otherwise I guess I will need to send it to Apple. Luckily the Ipod shows no damage , so maybe Best Buy will exchange it as a defective item.

My wife feels really bad , because I talked about buying an IPOD for months. I have used it alot , for mowing the lawn and walking . Well that is my story, I just needed to get it off my chest.

even if you find the receip, what are you gonna say?
"it came like that out of the box! I swear!!"

I feel your pain. Good luck returning it. I have a two year old 40 gig ipod that still works like a charm and it has taken many spills...though none onto concrete.

[quote name='X-GOUKI']even if you find the receip, what are you gonna say?
"it came like that out of the box! I swear!!"[/QUOTE]

Ummmm, that's what I'd say.

Well the IPOD shows no physical damage , it works except for the fact that it will not power off when you hold the bottom of the wheel down. Either way , its my wife that is going to do the talking.

If it's within 7 days you should be fine. Stuff like that happens it's a part of life.

I thought it was going to be a story like you were cheating on her and she stole your iPod and destroyed it...

Since you purchased the Ipod with a credit card, Best Buy can track the transaction and print up a new receipt for you, which should make the return a bit easier. bone

Just yesterday I saw someone riding their bike down the street and their Powerbook(i think. apple notebook anyways) fell out of their half-zipped back pack. So it could have been worse....

[quote name='Jeoff']If it's within 7 days you should be fine. Stuff like that happens it's a part of life.

I thought it was going to be a story like you were cheating on her and she stole your iPod and destroyed it...[/QUOTE]

:D I thogut the story was going to be the OP paid more attention to the iPod instead of her!

Yea if it does not look like it has been dropped by all means go and try to exchange it. I mean it's bestbuy they have been screwing us for years so it our time now.

Good luck, but don't be so hard on your wife.. I mean, yeah, it's a suck ass situation, but at the end of the day, what's more important.. your wife or your IPod?

..only married people will be able to answer this one.

[quote name='Scorch']Good luck, but don't be so hard on your wife.. I mean, yeah, it's a suck ass situation, but at the end of the day, what's more important.. your wife or your IPod?

..only married people will be able to answer this one.[/QUOTE]

duh, the iPod... time for a divorce! :D

[quote name='larry6171']She needs to do a certain favor to make it up to you....[/QUOTE]

Pfff those should be free flowing when she hasn't fucked up. We're talkin shotgun anus here.

[quote name='maxflight']hrmmm I think the title was a little misleading. it sounded like she threw it on purpose.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the title sounds like it was out of malice, but it was an accident. My girlfriend was the first to drop my iPod after a month of safe keeping. I was a bit pissed but it worked fine, just a littlescuff or 2, but if that shit didn't work afterwards, I probably wouldn't have been so kind. Good luck with the return & yes......screw Best Buy!

[quote name='Jeoff']If it's within 7 days you should be fine. Stuff like that happens it's a part of life.

I thought it was going to be a story like you were cheating on her and she stole your iPod and destroyed it...[/QUOTE]

i thought the same thing

I saw an ipod at a goodwill store a few months ago and I wasthinking to myself, who would be so stupid to give away an ipod?!?!?!

[quote name='dafunkk12']You're running with a hard drive player?![/QUOTE]

Yeah... That's usually a bad idea. Running with a hard drive player can screw it up, even if you don't drop it.

And return that iPod for something better. Sony's NW-HD5 has a built in sensor that stops the hard drive when the player is dropped. So your wife can drop it all she wants.

Is it too late to go buy a extended replacement warranty from best buy for it? you know the ones where they wont let you leave the store until you buy one for your 3 dollar headphones?
Maybe go quickly buy one and then in a few more days take it back and exchange it. Or does their overpriced warranty not cover that sort of stuff?
Just an idea, dont know if it will work.

I think your wife has learned her "leave it to beaver" life lesson for the week from this :p

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']XD....threw it on the street...then you say she dropped it.[/QUOTE]

yea, that's what i was thinking...

oh well, it was an entertaining story on a slow workday :)

First of all. I run with my iPod mini all of the time. Long runs (1 hr +), short runs, races etc. Never had a problem.

Also about 1 month after I got it. I had just finished a run. My iPod was tucked into my shorts, I untuck my shirt and my iPod goes flying to the hardwood floor. After that it froze and I got a sad hard-disk icon. So I called 1-800-my-apple, told me it wasn't working. They sent a box, I sent it in and in 2 weeks I got it back all fixed...didn't cost me a thing.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Is it too late to go buy a extended replacement warranty from best buy for it? you know the ones where they wont let you leave the store until you buy one for your 3 dollar headphones?
Maybe go quickly buy one and then in a few more days take it back and exchange it. Or does their overpriced warranty not cover that sort of stuff?
Just an idea, dont know if it will work.

I think your wife has learned her "leave it to beaver" life lesson for the week from this :p[/QUOTE]

This guy has the right idea. I'm pretty sure BB will let you buy the product replacement plan for up to 1 month after purchase. High-tail it to Best Buy, pick up that plan, and then return the Ipod in a few days.

[quote name='usickenme']First of all. I run with my iPod mini all of the time. Long runs (1 hr +), short runs, races etc. Never had a problem.

Also about 1 month after I got it. I had just finished a run. My iPod was tucked into my shorts, I untuck my shirt and my iPod goes flying to the hardwood floor. After that it froze and I got a sad hard-disk icon. So I called 1-800-my-apple, told me it wasn't working. They sent a box, I sent it in and in 2 weeks I got it back all fixed...didn't cost me a thing.[/QUOTE]

Probably depends on what CSR you speak to, because some of them won't give such treatment. So keep calling till you find someone who's willing to take it back without charge.

[quote name='Scorch']Good luck, but don't be so hard on your wife.. I mean, yeah, it's a suck ass situation, but at the end of the day, what's more important.. your wife or your IPod?

..only married people will be able to answer this one.[/QUOTE]

I was not hard on her, she actually said I was so cool about it that it made her feel even worse. Anyway, like I said, best buy exchanged it , thank god!

[quote name='Ecofreak']Probably depends on what CSR you speak to, because some of them won't give such treatment. So keep calling till you find someone who's willing to take it back without charge.[/QUOTE]

Usually 200 dollars to fix hard drive damages.

Anyway - get that stupid apple warranty. Allows you to fix ipod after anything for 60 dollars. Otherwise it's 200+

rough break...my gf hates it when i keep telling her to be careful with my equipment but i would seriously cry if something like that happened to me.

you are a good man though...good luck

your wife puts the ipod in divorce.

okay, i know there's no p, but it would have been awesome if there was.

anyhow, my girlfriend did the same sort of thing... got out of my car with my ipod mini on her lap and threw it face first onto the pavement. no damage though, still works like a charm.

~stew

I can't believe no one has suggested an Apple Store.

I got a free iPod (from freeipods.com). I accidentally dropped it. Whoops. So I took it in to an Apple Store, had the guy look at it. He said "So...were you testing it with some percussive force?" or some other way of saying "You dropped your damn iPod didn't you?" I told him flat out that yes, I accidentally dropped it. My problem sounded JUST like yours (except mine would turn off). The guy said "Well, we'll see if we can recreate the problem. If we can then we'll replace it." Because it was within 6 months of when I bought it I paid NOTHING to get a COMPLETELY NEW IPOD. If it had been more than 6 months I would have paid THIRTY DOLLARS for a processing fee. None of this "$200 to fix your harddrive" bullshit. From what I understand that's if you have to actually send it in to them if you don't have an Apple Store around.

So find an Apple Store and go there. It took me about 3 hours to get it all taken care of, but I got an entirely new working iPod for free.

[quote name='dafunkk12']You're running with a hard drive player?![/QUOTE]
what else are you supposed to run with? I mean anything with parts is gonna take damage...the best you can do is pad it so it absorbs the energy.

Or run without any player...which is boring.

edit: treadmill!

[quote name='KingSpike']I can't believe no one has suggested an Apple Store.

I got a free iPod (from freeipods.com). I accidentally dropped it. Whoops. So I took it in to an Apple Store, had the guy look at it. He said "So...were you testing it with some percussive force?" or some other way of saying "You dropped your damn iPod didn't you?" I told him flat out that yes, I accidentally dropped it. My problem sounded JUST like yours (except mine would turn off). The guy said "Well, we'll see if we can recreate the problem. If we can then we'll replace it." Because it was within 6 months of when I bought it I paid NOTHING to get a COMPLETELY NEW IPOD. If it had been more than 6 months I would have paid THIRTY DOLLARS for a processing fee. None of this "$200 to fix your harddrive" bullshit. From what I understand that's if you have to actually send it in to them if you don't have an Apple Store around.

So find an Apple Store and go there. It took me about 3 hours to get it all taken care of, but I got an entirely new working iPod for free.[/QUOTE]

I thought you said you bought it but then you say you got it for free? uh...kay.

[quote name='vienge']I thought you said you bought it but then you say you got it for free? uh...kay.[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm sorry :roll:

It was within 6 months of when I got it for free.

Good thing you pointed that out, as it would have totally invalidated my point that the Apple Store is a great option to try.

I only know of one apple store near me and I laugh every time I walk past it. They have like 5 ipods sitting on a crate in this huge empty room. :lol:

[quote name='KingSpike']I can't believe no one has suggested an Apple Store.

So find an Apple Store and go there. It took me about 3 hours to get it all taken care of, but I got an entirely new working iPod for free.[/QUOTE]

about the Apple Store...

If you take it to the Apple Store they will replace the unit with a refurbished on..if you send it in, they will repair the unit. Mine had engraving, so I choose the latter.

(holds up Sony WalkMan)

15 years old, and still works. I don't need no new techno-fango- ipod thingie.

(pulls out cane & waddles off)
troy

I bought an iPod and it came totally fucked up, the thing didn't work at all. I got a replacement with no problem.

bread's done
Back