My Win7 PC won't sleep.

sealionnn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I built my first PC about a month ago, and everything is great except I can't get it to fall asleep correctly. The monitor will go off as usual, and it will take a keystroke/mouse movement to bring it back up, but the fans and lights stay on in the case. I'm assuming everything else is staying on. The lights on my mouse/keyboard go off though. Any advice?

I had this happen to me. Turns out my pc would not power down for sleep mode because my mouse and keyboard used USB. (I am using WinXP FYI)

The fix was to disable "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" in Device Management. And then do the same for keyboard.

That fixed it for me, but to bring my PC out of sleep mode I have to press the power button since the mouse/keyboard won't register unless the PC is on now. No big deal really.

First: BIOS power settings.
Closely related to sleep and power settings, so users must also press the DEL at startup to enter BIOS, then the Power Options in the "Power Management" set to "Enabled", the "ACPI Aware OS" set to "Yes", and remember Save your settings.

Second: enough free disk space.
Because hibernation, the system will be stored in the memory dump the contents of the hard disk, we must ensure there is enough hard disk space, and space should not be less than the size of physical memory capacity. This is for the use of 512MB, 1GB and other large-capacity memory, friends, is particularly important.

Third: Install the patch.
Windows can not sleep for a couple of patches released, including 1GB of memory the computer can not sleep and 3D screen savers can cause sleep problems, which users only need to separately download

Forth: hardware must support.
Whether the computer supports hibernation, hardware and software support or not is crucial. Therefore, to enable the hibernation feature, you can go to Control Panel open the Power Options settings window, if the window has a "Sleep" tab, then that device supports hibernation. This is a crucial step.

[quote name='bblon']First: BIOS power settings.
Closely related to sleep and power settings, so users must also press the DEL at startup to enter BIOS, then the Power Options in the "Power Management" set to "Enabled", the "ACPI Aware OS" set to "Yes", and remember Save your settings.

Second: enough free disk space.
Because hibernation, the system will be stored in the memory dump the contents of the hard disk, we must ensure there is enough hard disk space, and space should not be less than the size of physical memory capacity. This is for the use of 512MB, 1GB and other large-capacity memory, friends, is particularly important.

Third: Install the patch.
Windows can not sleep for a couple of patches released, including 1GB of memory the computer can not sleep and 3D screen savers can cause sleep problems, which users only need to separately download

Forth: hardware must support.
Whether the computer supports hibernation, hardware and software support or not is crucial. Therefore, to enable the hibernation feature, you can go to Control Panel open the Power Options settings window, if the window has a "Sleep" tab, then that device supports hibernation. This is a crucial step.[/QUOTE]

It has the sleep option, and it works like I said, just without the computer actually going to sleep. My mouse and keyboard are the same from old computer which slept fine, so I don't see why that would cause the problem (in regards to TLPRIME). I def have enough memory as it's a brand new 500GB HDD. I've installed all patches up to my knowledge as there are no more listed in my windows update. So, that just leaves my BIOS settings, which I'm going to check right now and will update you after. Thanks for your help!

I'm running win7 x64 and had the same issue. A usb game controller was causing my problem. As long as I don't leave it plugged in, it sleeps fine.

I fixed it. I had to set my sleep settings to S3 instead of S1. While I was in the BIOS, I fixed my ram to 7-7-7-21 as well, since that's what it should have been anyway... for some reason my computer set it to 9-9-9-(forget the last one aha).

bread's done
Back