My Xbox Live Account Got Hacked - PSN Connection? :(

gubmccargen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
On a more important note our first child, a perfect healthy baby girl, was born over the weekend so this is sort of low on my priority list. I haven't had much time for gaming since then so I've been checking xbox.com while holding her at night to see what friends are up to.

I went to log in today with the same Windows Live account I used for years and it told me that I needed to create a new account. I thought it was a temporary glitch and figured I'd try it later. I then got an e-mail confirming that my MS Points had been successfully transferred.

At this point I knew something was up and called 800-4-MYXBOX and they confirmed that it was compromised. The scumbag completely removed my Windows Live account and changed the Gamertag taking my points along with it.

They're going to fix it but it might take a week or two. Apparently I won't lose anything, including the stolen points. I wanted to let you guys know that if you see fishy stuff from Jaskull or if I disappear from your list that it's just temporary hacking stuff.

I've worked with computers for 20 years and have never fallen for any phishing scams or other nonsense. This wasn't a password someone could easily figure out and of course I've never given it to anyone. My far-fetched theory is that the PSN hackers caused it. I used the same e-mail there as my XBL account with the same difficult password. Seems too much of a coincidence, huh? I've never had any account hacked yet just a couple weeks after the PSN stuff my XBL account with the same info gets hacked?

You guys with the same e-mail/password as your PSN account might want to be on the lookout. I'll be back online soon hopefully. This is just what I needed with a new baby girl. :roll:

Sorry to hear that, man, that really sucks. Glad to hear you're getting it all back though. You did disappear from my friends list so whenever you get everything back again feel free to add me and we can play some more CV: HoD.

I made an account for SOE waaaay back when for a trial of The Matrix Online or whatnot, so I hope that doesn't give away my information. Never had a PS3 myself. If someone gets access to my account because of that, I'm going to be pissed.

Has Sony been sued for this yet or what?

Oh, man, thanks for letting me know, Knave. I'll definitely re-request you when I'm back. I hope everyone sees this thread so they don't think I removed them. I might have to post something in the CV:HOD thread as most of my friends were added from there.

I hope that MS provides me with some sort of insight on what exactly happened with the account but I'm not expecting it. As long my account gets restored to its former state I'll just try to move on, though. The timing of it being on the same day as the release of PSN passwords is just too coincidental. I guess I was one of the ones on the list.

I hope you're okay Panda. Sony has been sued at least a half-dozen times now for billions of dollars for this and the money lost from lack of player trust is incalcuable. They really deserve to reap what they've sown for their lack of concern about security over the years.

I'm not going to start anything up in here but i changed my psn password like 2 weeks ago. so whats this "today".

I had a friend on xbox live who didnt have a ps3 and his xbox account was taken from him and i watched as he logged in like 70 times in an hour, after a week or so of sending him messages he finally responded telling me his account was hacked/taken. so don't be pulling this ish on Sony yet

[quote name='gubmccargen']They really deserve to reap what they've sown for their lack of concern about security over the years.[/QUOTE]
this i agree with

Mine got hacked 2 days ago as well. It may have been the PSN thing or I was also thinking it might have been an Android app I downloaded a few months back. They bought some MLG video with the leftover points on my account, but never used my credit card.

Yeah, I'm not trying to definitively say it's Sony's fault as I really have no proof of that. I just thought the timing was strange. I'm a satisfied owner of all consoles (even if I have a preference for 360 for the Live system) and really was fine with Sony prior to this security incompetence.

I'm fortunate enough to have only used prepaid cards and points on XBL simply because the prices were better when deals came along. Hopefully it frustrated the hacker to not get a credit card out of it. What ever happens to these people who hack online accounts? Is it actually a crime they get prosecuted for and does Microsoft actually spend resources tracking them down? It's still amazing to me that such low lifeforms actually take up space on this planet.

There was a recent "free MS points" scam via email that cost some people their username / passwords. Did you get an email like this recently?

No, I didn't actually. That's what is so weird about this. I didn't receive any sort of taunting messages or fall for any scams. I haven't even been able to be on my 360 for a week so who would even see me to target? Just bizarre.

I completely forgot that I used the same email address on both accounts. I just changed my live password to be safe. Thanks for the reminder.

Remembering passwords is so archaic. Using the same password for more than one account is even more archaic. You really need to create a secure password for each site that you visit.

http://lastpass.com makes this incredibly easy. It creates a strong, encrypted password, stored on your system, for each site that you visit. You never have to remember another password ever again if you use the browser extensions or lastpass vault.

Lastpass has a location feature, requiring each specific computer to become verified. Even if somebody discovers your lastpass password, they have zero access.

While you're at it, get a credit card that creates one-time virtual credit card numbers with a $ limit. Example, you create a one-time credit card number worth $50 and assign it to your PSN account. If something like this happens, you simply do one of the following:

1. Cancel that virtual account number. Your regular credit card and other virtual numbers continue to work as normal.
2. If your number gets stolen, who cares. The maximum value you created was $50. You could increase that value at any time, for example to purchase additional games.

bread's done
Back