My XBOX360 TV

[quote name='Saucy Jack']That's a nice set that you picked out. What are you using it for right now? Xbox, DVD, Digital Cable?[/QUOTE]

Yep, just got it today, calibrated it and going to grab an HDTV box.

That's the same one my cousin uses. I think. His has two audio/video inputs, so we literally "cut" the screen in half and played PS2 and XBox at the same time.

//edit: not the same TV, but similar enough

tv.jpg

^^ Playing Sonic Mega Collection and watching Viva La Bam all at once.. love that TV

[quote name='ECW_fan']Stupid question but what it the difference between a monitor and a tv and why does it need to be calibrated?[/QUOTE]
You need to calibrate big screens with rear projectors (not DLPs, LCDS, or Plasmas) because gravity pulls down the lens in your tv making your REDS and Blues have a strange line on your picture. It isn't uncommon to calibrate it every couple of days to maximize your picture quality. Typically you do this through your TV's menu.

Monitors are basically TVs, but they lack an HD tuner (But are HD compatible). This is the only thing I remember about them. Also this is dated info and I could be wrong.

Most retail stores don't use normal tvs to display those looping videos you see. Most use TV monitors (its a tv without a tunner) which actually lack the ability to watch TV with but you can watch movies on them and hook them up to cable TV. I know this to be true because one was offered free to me when I worked retail.

PC.SON.KD34XBR960.CN.JPG

Sony 34" HDTV (KD-34XBR960)
• 34" flat screen
• Built-in ATSC/QAM tuners
• Widescreen (16:9)

That TV will arrive the weekend before the 360 is released. I still have a huge bias for direct view TV's despite their size and weight.

1080p isn't worth it. The refresh rate from what I've read is 24fps. No sense in even getting it if that's the case.

1080p/24 – 2002 REVIEW
by David Strachan, Director of Sales, Evertz Microsystems Ltd.

The 1080p/24 format has become widely popular for transferring film images to HDTV tape at the native 24 frames per second film rate. Sony, Panasonic and others have development 24p cameras, to enable cinematographers to record directly into this video format. These cameras have enjoyed a tremendous reception by those eager to try 24p, as an alternative to 35mm film. The following is intended as a review of the new format and some of the tools available to take advantage of the technology.

The 1080p/24 format

Video, in North America, runs at 29.97 frames per second (Fps). Video in most other parts of the world runs at 25 Fps. Film for the world’s theatres, still runs internationally at 24 Fps, so the 1080p/24 video format is perfect for the interchange of media between film and video. Well almost - there is still a problem. Sooner or later, someone is going to want a video copy in standard definition and this involves frame rate conversion to 29.97 Fps. To do this, we require our original material to run at 23.98 Fps. (29.97/30 is the same ratio as 23.98/24 – actually 1000/1001. Conversion from 24 Fps to 29.97 Fps would involve a complex and expensive standards converting process and from 24 Fps to 30 Fps NTSC would remove the color!). 23.98 Fps is therefore the frame rate of choice for most material being shot in HDTV and destined for the big movie screen, but for simplicity most people refer to the format at 24p.

1080p/24 represents a video format containing 1920 pixels per line and 1080 active lines per picture, scanned progressively at 24 Fps. If we examine the current process of transferring 24 Fps film to 30 (29.97) Fps NTSC, we realize quite quickly that there must be a better way. In order to increase the frame rate, the telecine machine, employs a 2:3 pull-down scheme, which results in every other film frame being used to generate 3 video fields, instead of two. Nowadays, digital compression schemes are used to minimize the amount of bandwidth, or hard drive space, occupied by the video and the first thing an MPEG-2 system does is to identify these extra fields and discard them. During the decompression stage, the MPEG-2 system recreates the additional fields, which are needed to comply with the NTSC frame rate of 30 Fps. As the images were initially scanned at only 24 Fps, it is clearly counterproductive to increase the frame rate by adding images early in the transmission chain. Far better to defer this process, ideally until the video signal arrives at its destination. (In the film world, the frame rate is doubled to 48 Fps in the movie theatre, by projecting each frame twice, thereby reducing the flicker to an acceptable level).

Excerpt: Link to full article.

[quote name='Santurio']I heard that was good but that this was better
Avia[/QUOTE]

Haven't used Avia myself but it's 4 years older and is twice as expensive...

[quote name='klwillis45']What'd ya use to calibrate it. I'm waiting for my set to be delivered.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=52hm94

..And no I didn't pay anywhere near that much.[/QUOTE]

I used an old video essentials disc and did the rest by eye, I will probably pick up either Digital Video Essentials or Avia when I want to do a thorough calibration.

Unfortunately though I have to return the set, it has a large scratch in the screen and some interference problems. Oh well. If the next one has the same probs I'll have to go with a different set.

bread's done
Back