Mystery TG-16 game coming to the Virtual Console on Monday

[quote name='schuerm26']If im not mistaken Alien Crush is the pinball game.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was Devil-something?

Oh well. I don't know much about the TG16.
How about Rondo of Blood, then?;)

Or Blazing Lazers. Those I remember.

The only unannounced game for the US that appears on the ESRB website is R-Type, which sort of makes sense with the given clues. If it were Alien Crush, don't you think it would have already been reviewed by the ESRB? For the record, R-Type was shown on Japanese Wii videos, but it was never formally announced for the US.

You heard it here first. R-Type.

Strip Fighter 2.

or Keith Courage. which I hear is like Strip Fighter 2 but with men.

Reality's Fringe;2454675]I thought it was Devil-something? Oh well. I don't know much about the TG16. How about Rondo of Blood said:
I think you are both correct--Devil Crush AND Alien Crush were both TG-16 games.

I submit that it will be R-Type based on the clues "All brain, no skull, all eyes, no nose."

rtype-gameboy.jpg

[quote name='elwood731']I think you are both correct--Devil Crush AND Alien Crush were both TG-16 games.[/QUOTE]

And both pinball games, if memory serves me right.

[quote name='Strell']I submit that it will be R-Type based on the clues "All brain, no skull, all eyes, no nose."

rtype-gameboy.jpg
[/quote]Half Price Books has a half dozen sealed copies of that for some reason.

[quote name='Strell']I submit that it will be R-Type based on the clues "All brain, no skull, all eyes, no nose."

rtype-gameboy.jpg
[/QUOTE]

ESCUSE ME SIR, WHAT IS THIS "RTYPE DICKS?"

Give me R-Type first, then we can talk Splatterhouse.

//Pulls out Wiimote, aims at above poster//

I don't wanna hurt anyone on the board here, I just want the R-Type.
Give it over now, and I'll just go. I promise. No one has to get hurt or anything...

Wouldn't it be better if we got Super R-Type for the SNES, or even better, R-Type 3 for SNES?

Makes as much sense as releasing Wario's Woods NES rather than the SNES version.. None.

Bonk seems to be a game that would show up on a Nintendo console... However, the given hints seem contradictory to my guesstimation. I may be incorrect, but doesn't his skull pop off once he eats a certain number of slabs?

[quote name='-Phantom-']Bonk seems to be a game that would show up on a Nintendo console... However, the given hints seem contradictory to my guesstimation.[/quote]Bonk is already out...

[quote name='daroga']Bonk is already out...[/QUOTE]

To be fair, they made multiple Bonk games for the TG16, though I'm not expecting another anytime soon.

I remember back in the day, I heard a lot about these Crush pinball games. Are they really that great?

[quote name='botticus']A 5-player action RPG? Does anyone know anything about this Dungeon Explorer?[/QUOTE]

Gauntlet, but 2x better and 2x longer.

I loved that game when I was 8...used to play it for hours on end, my mom used to help me out sometimes too.

I hope they still have the princess, she was an "unlockable" in the original and I hope she is still in there..so far they've only listed 5 characters..she was faster than a fighter and had some of the witch stats going on. Plus her sprite was very CUTE!

I loved playing with BISHOP too..the classes in this game were great.....

Plus the music and world is just so..charming. I don't remember any game that felt as engaging...I mean..it really is about exploring dungeons..some of them were huge and when you were in one and enemies were swarming, you just felt like you were really crawling through it fighting for your life.

And the weak weak horrible attempt at a plot, just can NOT be beat...the enemy is named NATAS [spell it backwards] and one of your friends who later betrays you is named JUDAS, there's a fake king and a bunch of invisible vilage people and a tavern with bar maidens.

[quote name='Dezuria']I remember back in the day, I heard a lot about these Crush pinball games. Are they really that great?[/quote]
Back in the day yeah, but I fear that they haven't aged well. In Alien Crush, there are two screens (an upper and lower). The problem is that when your ball moves from one to the other, there's literally a half-second load time in which your screen is totally black. I busted out AC last year, and this made me put the game down pretty quickly.

Other than that, it's pretty fun. One of the more original pinball games you'll ever play, but there's only two tables. I hear Devil's Crush is better, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

[quote name='botticus']A 5-player action RPG? Does anyone know anything about this Dungeon Explorer?[/quote]

Knome=Bitch

I am definitely going to buy this. Played it a fair bit over a buddy's house when I was younger and got excited when it was announced. I sure hope we get some rad NES games on Monday too.

[quote name='Dezuria']Wouldn't it be better if we got Super R-Type for the SNES, or even better, R-Type 3 for SNES?

Makes as much sense as releasing Wario's Woods NES rather than the SNES version.. None.[/QUOTE]

Super R-Type wasn't a direct arcade port. It pulled out bits of R-Type and R-Type II and mixed them together. I'd rather have the TG-16 R-Type I & II for the complete experience.

Another big factor here is that Hudson (and parent company) retains the publishing rights for the games that were first and second party releases on the TurboGrafx. Thus they bring a considerable library to the Virtual Console while dealing with just one company. Makes things far simpler for Nintendo.

This works out because of the emulation element. If the deal were for a new native version of the game, Nintendo would have to deal with IREM or whoever holds the license. This is a limiting factor for XBLA but gives them the opportunity to enhance the games when a license agreement is reached. Each approach has its pluses and minuses.

[quote name='telemundus']Rondo of Blood would pop my VC cherry in a second.[/QUOTE]

Rondo of Blood was a CD based game...And I do not believe that TG16 CD based games are going to be available on the VC...Although someone may know the official answer to this question...If they will be available then I am really going to look forward to Y's 1 and 2...Some of those TG16 CD games are the best ever...Gates of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Y's, Castlevania, Cosmic Fantasy 2...damn I miss my turboduo

[quote name='evilmax17']Back in the day yeah, but I fear that they haven't aged well. In Alien Crush, there are two screens (an upper and lower). The problem is that when your ball moves from one to the other, there's literally a half-second load time in which your screen is totally black. I busted out AC last year, and this made me put the game down pretty quickly.

Other than that, it's pretty fun. One of the more original pinball games you'll ever play, but there's only two tables. I hear Devil's Crush is better, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.[/QUOTE]

Would make a good DS game, right?

[quote name='botticus']A 5-player action RPG? Does anyone know anything about this Dungeon Explorer?[/QUOTE]

Good game...Kind of a gauntlet type perspective when playing...It was a top 10 game for the tg16 when it came out...If you are in to older RPG type games...Like late 80's/early 90's...Then you will like it...By the way...If any of you missed out on the TG-16 and are die hard rpg fans, you are going to fall in love with some of these games...Working Designs started making their first rpg's on the TG16CD based system...And some of them are truly magical classic games...

Found this summary of the game on the web...

Dungeon Explorer
US Release: 1989
US Publisher: Hudson Soft
Developer: Atlus
An overhead perspective action RPG that's kind of a mix between Zelda and Gauntlet. While the premise is simple (go where you're told, go through the maze, kill a boss), the gameplay is addicting and well developed. It's a solid mixture of aspects of multiple genres. Definitely one of my favorite titles on the system.

Wii Virtual Console Chance: High, hopefully

Atlus Co. Ltd is still going in Japan, with a strong US office as well. Whether or not Hudson Soft still retains any sort of publishing rights is unknown, but let's hope that the two work together to get this title re-released.

link - http://www.orangelazarus.net/features/turbografx16_and_the_wii_virtual_console_games_d_to_r.php

Well, they already have the webpage created for it... just not linked on their site yet.

[quote name='psunami']Well, they already have the webpage created for it... just not linked on their site yet.[/quote]

Bout 15 hours late, check page 2. :)

I played it back in the day too and it was pretty fun. But I don't know if it would hold up. I mean there's 9 billion games released every year in that genre, and I'm not sure how great one from 1990 would be with Hellgate: London and Titan's Quest and Champions of Norath and stuff like that coming out all the time.

bread's done
Back