N+, ign 9.0, ($19.99) who's picking this one up?

buttle

CAGiversary!
N+, ign 9.0, who's picking this one up?
and who's already played one of the other versions?

i think i'm going to give in and get this some time this week. i'm a little low on games this summer and this looks pretty good. i'll probably wait for a couple more reviews, but i love most any platformer that's any good at all.

as for level sharing, i always assume that it's not worth the effort. but i hope i'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
platformer that's actually challenging for adults. sign me up. but problem for me is all the games being released on DS from this week to end of next month. where is buy 2 and get 1 free deal when i really need it. :cry:

My DS games of interests:
N+
From the Abyss
Time Hollow
Spore Creatures
Lock's Quest
MillionHeir
Viva Pinata
Black Sigil
Dragon Quest 4
SimCity Creator
Disgaea
Princess Debut
Rhapsody

Although I know nothing about this game but the title and that it is a platform, it has received enough attention from sites/magazines I see that I'm definitely interested. Though IGN may underrate some games, they rarely overrate (IMO) and a 9 looks promising.

Better screen + better d-pad = me getting this for PSP. Someday.

Though, this seems like the kind of game with a low print run.

[quote name='pete5883']Better screen + better d-pad = me getting this for PSP. Someday.
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, I sure wish we had a PSP board to talk about PSP things. Cheapy really ought to set that up someday.

Then all the people who can stand the horrible dpad-that-isn't-really-a-dpad on the PSP can gloat about it together.

As for the game itself, I'm sure it's nice. I played the demo on the 360 and it seemed like a decent amount of fun, especially since in some regards it's like Portal. But I lost interest after the five or so levels I'd played, so I doubt I'd pick this up unless it dropped to less than ten bucks. But really that attitude is more a function of me trying to slow down my game buying and work through my backlog.

[quote name='laaj']platformer that's actually challenging for adults. sign me up. but problem for me is all the games being released on DS from this week to end of next month. where is buy 2 and get 1 free deal when i really need it. :cry:

My DS games of interests:
N+
From the Abyss
Time Hollow
Spore Creatures
Lock's Quest
MillionHeir
Viva Pinata
Black Sigil
Dragon Quest 4
SimCity Creator
Disgaea
Princess Debut
Rhapsody[/QUOTE]

I didnt know about some of these... wow I would have such a backlog of DS games its ot even funny.

[quote name='pete5883']Better screen + better d-pad = me getting this for PSP. Someday.[/quote]

Many folks have said that N+ PSP's load times are horrendous.

Anyway, in4DS.

i didn't realize that this was just 20 bucks. that's the little nudge i needed. i'm going to pick this up today.

[quote name='Strell']Gosh, I sure wish we had a PSP board to talk about PSP things. Cheapy really ought to set that up someday.

Then all the people who can stand the horrible dpad-that-isn't-really-a-dpad on the PSP can gloat about it together.[/QUOTE]
Who's gloating? There's no one talking about it over in PSP-ville.

[quote name='Multicron']Many folks have said that N+ PSP's load times are horrendous.[/QUOTE]
Crap. Link?

One more knock against the PSP version could be:

"The XBLA release allows you to toggle between fully zoomed-out, medium, and close-up views at any time, which the game necessitates by virtue of the varied level design. Here, the DS version displays both the farthest and closest views between both screens, but never the medium view, while the PSP version displays only the medium view." 1up's review

[quote name='StinkyCheese']Princess Debut? That isnt some royal de-flowering game is it? :lol:[/quote]

Just check out the various vids on youtube about this game. I was shocked when it was announced for US and it is more of a curiosity item than a game I'll enjoy.

[quote name='Snake2715']I didnt know about some of these... wow I would have such a backlog of DS games its ot even funny.[/quote]

Yep. I have a feeling September will be the month for DS this year. It does also get somewhat interesting near christmas but no where near the packed lineup of next month.

I was reading something about this recently...I can't remember where...and they commented on it being "brutally difficult". It looks like a ton of fun but I don't have the patience to retry levels over-and-over again.

[quote name='bmachine']I was reading something about this recently...I can't remember where...and they commented on it being "brutally difficult". It looks like a ton of fun but I don't have the patience to retry levels over-and-over again.[/QUOTE]

Having played the flash game, I can imagine that...and that's enough to kill any interest I'd have, even at $20. The game isn't bad, but even if I had the time or interest to keep retrying levels over and over I've got a feeling that repetition would kill a lot of the fun for me.

[quote name='bmachine']I was reading something about this recently...I can't remember where...and they commented on it being "brutally difficult". It looks like a ton of fun but I don't have the patience to retry levels over-and-over again.[/quote]

Well, the level structure is different then your traditional game. You get to pick what ever "world" you want to play in, so even if you get stuck at one level, you can jsut skip it and play in another world.

[quote name='Multicron']Many folks have said that N+ PSP's load times are horrendous.
[/quote]
If that's true that's really sad. They could probably fit the entire game in the PSP's RAM.

Played this at my friend's house.

Nice game, but I gotta say the graphics and music are really not to my liking. Kinda fun though.

It's kind of like playing an NES game....

[quote name='Strell']Gosh, I sure wish we had a PSP board to talk about PSP things. Cheapy really ought to set that up someday.

Then all the people who can stand the horrible dpad-that-isn't-really-a-dpad on the PSP can gloat about it together.

As for the game itself, I'm sure it's nice. I played the demo on the 360 and it seemed like a decent amount of fun, especially since in some regards it's like Portal. But I lost interest after the five or so levels I'd played, so I doubt I'd pick this up unless it dropped to less than ten bucks. But really that attitude is more a function of me trying to slow down my game buying and work through my backlog.[/quote]
The d pad is only horrible on the lite, not the phat. In fact the pad on the lite is downright pathetic. IGN is also a shadow of there former self.

i've finally got a chance to play the game.
i definitely liked it.

i really liked the death animation. so far, it makes me smile every time.
i thought that the 2 screen system worked really well. for certain levels, i would have preferred the game to zoom in a little bit more. it can get a little tricky trying to avoid all of the mines.

the control worked well. good use of momentum. i liked that you could avoid death while falling by running onto a slope.

i have to admit though, i do miss the color. i wish that they had done something to give the background a little life. the music seems a little uninspired. and i do miss a story. i don't need anything too detailed. but it's nice to have something.

Since when does the d-pad on the Lite suck? I've never had any problems with it, ever, not even when I played Metroid Hunters.

I'll admit it murdered my thumb doing boosts on Mario Kart, but that's more a problem with the type of motion necessary to perform them than it is for the controls themselves (remember the analog stick spinning in the N64 Mario Party's? Nintendo actually put out MP gloves because some kid tore a hole in his hand).

[quote name='bmachine']I was reading something about this recently...I can't remember where...and they commented on it being "brutally difficult". It looks like a ton of fun but I don't have the patience to retry levels over-and-over again.[/quote]

Unfortunately I think I do have the patience for hard games like that. It's kind of addictive. Although, I'm also a Contra fan ;)

I played the 360 demo a few months ago, and liked it a lot, so I might grab this. I'm curious as to why N+ is on XBLA, and now PSP, but not PSN?

Edit: Apparently the contract w/ Microsoft is keeping it exclusive for now, at least that was the case in February. Lame. Perhaps the DS version is the only way for me to go!

Played for about 4 hours yesterday. If you've played N or N+ XBLA, it will go fast. I cleared out episodes 0-33, only skipping episode 29. The difficulty is much lower than the last half of N+ XBLA.

[quote name='Multicron']Played for about 4 hours yesterday. If you've played N or N+ XBLA, it will go fast. I cleared out episodes 0-33, only skipping episode 29. The difficulty is much lower than the last half of N+ XBLA.[/QUOTE]

i just skipped my first episode. number 25. up until now, things have been fairly easy. i am having a little trouble with some of the extreme wall jumping situations.

[quote name='buttle']i just skipped my first episode. number 25. up until now, things have been fairly easy. i am having a little trouble with some of the extreme wall jumping situations.[/quote]

Maybe I skipped 25 instead of 29 - it was the one that starts with the level that has vertical chains of bounce blocks and mines that you have to traverse up to the door switch. Maybe it's just me, but something seems off with the bounce blocks in this game...

[quote name='Multicron']Maybe I skipped 25 instead of 29 - it was the one that starts with the level that has vertical chains of bounce blocks and mines that you have to traverse up to the door switch. Maybe it's just me, but something seems off with the bounce blocks in this game...[/QUOTE]

no, you had that right. 25 just had a big jump up the wall avoiding mines. and i'm having trouble jumping high enough to avoid the bombs.

with 29, my trick was to press away and jump while the bounce block was bouncing out. if you hit jump while the bounce ball is still bouncing in, it won't work. and then i just try to put a lot of focus on exactly where on the block i'm jumping from to get the right angle to hit the next block.

i'm through 30 now. and i'm going to give in and take a break. if you remember how you got above the mines on 25, feel free to tell me your trick.

[quote name='johnnypark']Unfortunately I think I do have the patience for hard games like that. It's kind of addictive. Although, I'm also a Contra fan ;)[/quote]

Ugh...not me. I think I played Contra 4 for about 30 minutes before I had to shut it off or I was going to chuck my DS into the nearest wall.

Despite that, I was just cleaning out the center console in my car and discovered a long-forgotten $10 Circuit City giftcard...which would essentially cut the price of N+ in half.

I think I'm in.

[quote name='johnnypark']Since when does the d-pad on the Lite suck? I've never had any problems with it, ever, not even when I played Metroid Hunters.[/QUOTE]
The diagonal is a lot harder to use than it should be. Wasn't a problem on the original.

Sounds like load times and frame rate problems in the PSP version were only problems with the review code, as expected.

i've just beat the game. after you beat levels 0 - 39 you unlock
levels 40 - 44. these levels were a lot of fun. most of them weren't all that hard, but they were very creative and fun to play. and then when you beat them you unlock the gold ninja, which is pretty neat.

i really liked the game. i thought it had had a good level of difficulty. it was a good challenge but nothing that will kill you. i did have a very very tired right thumb after long sessions though.

i also played some of the user created levels and they were also pretty cool. there weren't too many of them at this point. but the ones that were there were well thought out.

bread's done
Back