N64 and Dreamcast Classic?

ElfAngel7

CAGiversary!
Don't get me wrong, Dreamcast and N64 had it's fair share of great games, but can you really call them classic systems? OK, the N64 is almost 10 years old, but the DC was releases a scant 5 years ago, bearly enough time to see its impact on gaming. What do you guys think?

[quote name='ElfAngel7']Don't get me wrong, Dreamcast and N64 had it's fair share of great games, but can you really call them classic systems? OK, the N64 is almost 10 years old, but the DC was releases a scant 5 years ago, bearly enough time to see its impact on gaming. What do you guys think?[/quote]

Think of classic as meaning Dead. Current generation vs. Classic generation.

^^ That'd be my take as well.

Though I agree it is odd to see Dreamcast threads on the Old School board. (Not saying they're misplaced, I think I've created one or two myself.)

Nintendo 64 was one of my favorite systems ever. After Super Nintendo of course.

Let me count the ways:

Blast Corps
Pilot Wings
Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Zelda OoT
Zelda MM
Killer Instinct Gold
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Puzzle League

Did not like 007.

Still waiting for Earthbound.

Chris

The N64 has the best version of Tetris I've ever played. 4 player madness, the many late night hours wasted on that!

The DC while dead, has great games. Heck, I'm such a fanboy for that system I picked up Puyo Fever just becasue it was available.

Good points. The Dreamcast *will* be a classic for me once it ages a bit though.

That was two years of fine, fine gaming.

I'm divided when it comes to the Dreamcast being considered classic. When I consider "Classic" in the sense of the word it need be 20 years+. That's the answer any gearhead will give you. However, there are DC games destined for Classic status, but right now, I'd consider the DC to be a "Collectable".

-Brian P

Goldeneye was more fun than some of today's FPS
I would love some classic (graphicaly revamped) N64 games like the GBA classics series but not as crappy as the latter.

They both had a good ratio of good to bad games, even if it meant a lack of games.

DC was easy to pirate, and the newer systems were launching too expensive so it was actually a phenominal next gen system.

Though they didn't have a ton of games, these systems had many, many worthwhile games. the dreamcast is probably my favorite system for fighters.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I'm still confused about why everybody LOVES the DC. It had a few good games, but it wasn't the second coming.[/quote]

I'm trying to figure that out too... I picked one up used last year and have been to a ton of used games stores and sites looking for this "magnificent library of games" I keep hearing so much about... and I'm still looking.

It was a constant stream of good games, ranginf from fighters to platformers to RPG's to even sports. It tried things a bit differently (Online, Mic support, Mem cards with screens) and had 99% of those ideas flow into this generation on different platforms. Add in Free online play that worked right out of the box to an easy to use web browser, and you've got a great machine as is. Now we have the emulation scene which keeps getting better and better, and that includes both Homebrew and console emulators.

[quote name='levi333']My opinion about the Dreamcast has always been that it was ahead of its time. Actually thats my opinion of Sega in general.[/quote]

That was my opinion of Sega, until they started sucking. I used to love Sega, but after they announced that they'd be raping the Shining Force series, I disowned them.

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='levi333']My opinion about the Dreamcast has always been that it was ahead of its time. Actually thats my opinion of Sega in general.[/quote]

That was my opinion of Sega, until they started sucking. I used to love Sega, but after they announced that they'd be raping the Shining Force series, I disowned them.[/quote]

I agree....Sega is no longer. A little before they were swallowed up by Sammy, they started eating the big one with some really lousy games. Most Sega games this generation have sucked, with notable exception of the early XBox games and the SMB series.

I agree that the N64 is classic, that era (32bit-64bit) of great games ended a long time ago. The DreamCast is classic in a sense, they make no games for the system so it's dead, and there are tons of great games that came out for it. But the DreamCast is stuck in purgatory, it's not really a last generation system, but it also can't be a current generation system because it's dead. So yes the DreamCast in the sense of a system gone by and left great games behind it is classic, but as an old outdated machine replaced by better machines, no it's not. In my opinion, calling it classic is fine the system died early but it left some of the best games ever made behind, but techincally it's not really "Classic" after this generation of systems get phased out (GCN/PS2/XBOX) then the Dream Cast will be a true classic. Just my thoughts.

[quote name='joeposh'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']I'm still confused about why everybody LOVES the DC. It had a few good games, but it wasn't the second coming.[/quote]

I'm trying to figure that out too... I picked one up used last year and have been to a ton of used games stores and sites looking for this "magnificent library of games" I keep hearing so much about... and I'm still looking.[/quote]

I have to disagree. I think the Dreamcast had some very good and interesting games. Soul Caliber, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure games, plus they had some revoultionary sports games at the time. Then there's Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia. You get the point.

I think what wins gamers over are those non mainstream games that the Dreamcast had. Something like Seaman, where you have to talk to a fish in a tank. Great game, no. Interesting? Heck yeah. Jet Grind Radio also.

Overall, if you compare it to other full length systems in games, the library may seem lacking. But, the system only had a 2-3 good year run.

Is the Dreamcast classic? Not yet in the traditional sense. But, I would think you need to be 2 generations removed before that. So, N64 and PSX and the Dreamcast would be classic once the new ones launch. That being said, I think it's classic for this forum. Where else would the Dreamcast fit in?

Goldeneye 007: Best FPS...ever!

I feel the N-64 and DC are both classic systems. Although they aren't that old (especially the DC) I feel anything behind this generation qualifies for "classic" status. I'd say, games no longer being produced for said system makes it a classic system.

DC was way ahead of its time. First online capable console. Had a broadband adaptor when most people still use regular modems to get online. It also has a huge library of great games, many of which unfortunately never made it over to the US from Japan (damn you, Sega of America, DAMN YOU!).

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']You know, this thread reminds me of how interesting video game history is... why don't schools teach it like they do film and tv history?[/quote]

some do, but i dont think that many schools were teaching film history back in say, the 20s or tv history back in the 50s

Probably another 15-25 years and gaming will get a similar level of criticism, analysis and construct as other areas of expression do

bread's done
Back