N64 VHS TAPE

I remember getting a VHS tape about Star Fox 64 in the mail a few weeks before release. It was dumb as hell but it made me want the game.

I used to have a promo VHS tape with previews of Rayman 2, Rocket: Robot On Wheels and Tonic Trouble for N64. I think I got it because I had an Nintendo Power subscription at the time.

I had (have?) a couple of these . . . the first one was over 10 years ago. They sent out a videotape to promote Donkey Kong Country . . . the graphics were so sweet on that game :wink:

I remember I got one that promoted the N64 as a bonus for subscribing to NP . . . I was soooooooo pissed because the video was mostly about Nintendo HQ and had just a few seconds of game footage.

I called customer service to complain and got a Final Fantasy III player's guide as a bonus as well . . . too bad I sold it and the game (complete with box, instructions and map) off for $45 in 1996-7 just before ebay started :cry:

I've got some boxes with old videos in the basement . . . I wonder if I have some of those Nintendo tapes?

[quote name='schultzed']I had (have?) a couple of these . . . the first one was over 10 years ago. They sent out a videotape to promote Donkey Kong Country . . . the graphics were so sweet on that game :wink:

I remember I got one that promoted the N64 as a bonus for subscribing to NP . . . I was soooooooo pissed because the video was mostly about Nintendo HQ and had just a few seconds of game footage.

I called customer service to complain and got a Final Fantasy III player's guide as a bonus as well . . . too bad I sold it and the game (complete with box, instructions and map) off for $45 in 1996-7 just before ebay started :cry:

I've got some boxes with old videos in the basement . . . I wonder if I have some of those Nintendo tapes?[/quote]
Its been 10 years since N64 came out, damn thats a long time

LOL I remember getting one for Pokémon! I watched that video over and over.

Was the first time I learned how to correctly pronounce Pikachu ^_^

I've got the Diddy Kong Racing one, and the Star Fox 64 one as well. I've got another one, but I cannot remember what it is.

[quote name='yeahokthenfu'][quote name='schultzed']I had (have?) a couple of these . . . the first one was over 10 years ago. They sent out a videotape to promote Donkey Kong Country . . . the graphics were so sweet on that game :wink:

I've got some boxes with old videos in the basement . . . I wonder if I have some of those Nintendo tapes?[/quote]
Its been 10 years since N64 came out, damn thats a long time[/quote]

8 years

I got a Street Fighter 2 tape for the SNES from capcom. It was cool because it had live action footage from commercials in Japan. I thought (at the time) that it was going to be footage from the movie.

[quote name='robogriff']I got a Street Fighter 2 tape for the SNES from capcom. It was cool because it had live action footage from commercials in Japan. I thought (at the time) that it was going to be footage from the movie.[/quote]
I have that tape!
a1da362b.jpg

When that thing came in the mail, I was pissed when I found out it was a tape. I thought I won the game from all those contests I used to enter. I just watched it a couple days ago for kicks. It was fucken hilarious!
"Did you see that new move?!" "That was BAD!"

Oh man, I also got those Star Fox and Diddy Kong tapes. I also got a tape for Street Fighter 2 Championship edition. I remember playing that game and at the time I thought Sagat said viper instead of tiger, LOL.

[quote name='spyhunterk19']For some reason I am compelled to collect these things now....so check out my TL ...http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30427[/quote]
I know what you mean. Its like when somebody starts talking about food then all of sudden you get hungry. Now I really want to check some of these tapes out. From the way you guys are describing it seems like its just a short commercial or promo for a game. How long are they? And do they only promote a single game or is it a collection of commercials?

I found two. One's a Banjo-Kazooie VHS promo, the other is my "It's here..." Saturn demo. I'll pop them in and make sure I didn't record over them or some shit.

I might be able to make copies of the SFII Turbo tape for people who REALLY want it. Maybe for something small or if you send me a tape and cover shipping both ways, but don't PM me quite yet.

Its about 7 or so minutes and sorta interesting. More hilarious than anything though. It teachs you moves and shows you a couple Japanese commercials. Chun Li can now throw fireballs!

Alright, I checked out the Banjo Kazooie VHS tape - it's about 10 minutes long, with a feature on the game showing the highlights of most of the major levels. The end of the tape has a "music video" sort of thing for other N64 titles like MK4, F-Zero, Madden, Blitz, Wipeout, etc. It's got the original cardboard slipcase in decent condition, but dinged up a bit. The video itself is fine, no errors.

The Saturn one is just the tape, about 5 minutes long, and has a bunch of their crappy commercials on it touting 16M colors and a whopping 500k polygons/sec. The first minute or so has a little bit of a warble that the tracking picks up, but my old VCR plays through it fine.

Anyone interested in these, PM me with offers. Trade only, plzkthxbi.

I know I had more, but I'll have to poke around for them.

I had the Donkey Kong Country, N64/Mario 64, and Star Fox VHS's. I got rid of them a couple of months ago after giving a quick qatch through and i remembered how hyped up they got me.

[quote name='ViolentLee']For anyone into this stuff, go here and you'll be in Heaven: http://www.archive.org/movies/searc...it=yes&collection=videogameprev&searchAll=yes[/quote]

Wow, that website is so freaking cool. Its great checking out games i used to play like crazy...and finding out how crappy they look by today's standards. Wow. OOOOOgly.

lol, i just saw the Home Improvement videogame commercial. They show
absolutely ZERO clips of the game. HA.

I think I had the diddy kong racing tape. I know I had the saturn tape. "Welcome to the theater of the mind". Heheh. I still have the banjo-kazooie tape.

bread's done
Back