NASCAR 06 free after tradeins at EB Games (cancelling and getting credit is now YMMV)

DOMINATOR912

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I know most people know about this deal, but I'm making this topic for those who don't and to see what people have traded in for Nascar 2006, whether it's to keep the game or to cancel it later on and get store credit. For those who don't know about the deal, here it is: Trade in 4 non-POX games at EB Games and get Nascar 2006: Total Team Control for free on either PS2 or XBox. For the POX list, check the Deal Discussion forum. I traded in the following games for Nascar, which I will be canceling later this week to use the credit for WWE Day of Reckoning 2:

King of Fighters Maximum Impact ($10 at CC clearance)
Nano Breaker ($10 at CC clearance)
Soul Calibur 2 x2 ($1.24 each at TRU)

Amount spent: $22.48.
Credit given: $49.99.

Use this deal as you so desire.

[quote name='Scorch']You can no longer build credit up for a game then switch, IIRC. YMMV, though.[/QUOTE]

can you still cancel?

[quote name='evophile']can you still cancel?[/QUOTE]

What do you think "Build up credit for a game and switch" means? It means cancelling the preorder and switching it to something else. Someone here said that they printed on the receipt that they wouldn't take this game back because it was used for a promotion or something?

if i had 4 games i would be very tempted to do it with BUT i didnt care for nascar 2005 that much. if i could find 4 cheap games i might but i would rather wait for more info before buying 2006. Loved 2004 but just didnt care for 2005

[quote name='slidecage']if i had 4 games i would be very tempted to do it with BUT i didnt care for nascar 2005 that much. if i could find 4 cheap games i might but i would rather wait for more info before buying 2006. Loved 2004 but just didnt care for 2005[/QUOTE]

Drive across time and pick up 2009, I hear it's got team support on XBox Live 3.

[quote name='Scorch']You can no longer build credit up for a game then switch, IIRC. YMMV, though.[/QUOTE]

Who's had trouble with this before? Because I don't think that they can deny you a return if you have a receipt just because it was a promo. It's not like they can force you to buy the game and refuse to give you your money back.

EDIT: Ok, I just read the post about how they wouldn't transfer someone's full $50 for Zelda over to something else. This must be a new policy, because I cancelled my Madden preorder a few weeks ago after using the special trade-in deal (not because I didn't want Madden, I jsut wanted to preorder it at a store closer to my house). Hope they still cancel my Nascar pre-order. If they don't, I'll just keep Nascar. I got 2003 for like 10 bucks a few years ago and it wasn't so bad.

Crap, it backfired on me. Apparently, even though I had no receipt on me, they knew I had used a trade-in deal. Oh well. I asked them if I could just instead transfer the amount to another game with a preorder deal, and chose NBA Live 2006. BUT, I now have NBA paid off, which requires 5 games for the trade in deal, as opposed to the 4 games NASCAR required. One way or another, I ALWAYS WIN!! Eh, I guess I'll try the NASCAR thing again at another EB, since this one always gives me trouble. The only reason I go there is because it's close to my house.

You can always just get it and return it for store credit, though.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Crap, it backfired on me. Apparently, even though I had no receipt on me, they knew I had used a trade-in deal. Oh well. I asked them if I could just instead transfer the amount to another game with a preorder deal, and chose NBA Live 2006. BUT, I now have NBA paid off, which requires 5 games for the trade in deal, as opposed to the 4 games NASCAR required. One way or another, I ALWAYS WIN!! Eh, I guess I'll try the NASCAR thing again at another EB, since this one always gives me trouble. The only reason I go there is because it's close to my house.[/QUOTE]

That's silly. There is no current rule that you can't switch preorder money. They probably just realized you're trying to work the system and made that up. In reality, you sure can switch it to something else, but you should wait until the game comes out, otherwise, you're just insulting their intelligence. Once it does, say you got one as a gift already. Only a jerk wouldn't let you switch it then.

[quote name='Pudding1978']That's silly. There is no current rule that you can't switch preorder money. They probably just realized you're trying to work the system and made that up. In reality, you sure can switch it to something else, but you should wait until the game comes out, otherwise, you're just insulting their intelligence. Once it does, say you got one as a gift already. Only a jerk wouldn't let you switch it then.[/QUOTE]

This has a YMMV attached to it.

Some have run into problems returning games that they got on tradein deals . . . one nearby store won't do it but my local has never stopped me (fingers crossed for the future).

I never heard of problems switching a preorder (done it myself before) but recently some CAGers have posted that EB changed their system and some have been stopped from "canceling" and getting credit on a preorder.

I going to try one of mine later . . .

I sure hope EB doesn't go down this path. The tradein deals are the only way to get fair value for a game at EB and if they eliminate my "scam" I will stop (or severely limit) my business with them.

Personally, I don't see a ethical/moral problem with exploiting the deals.

I bring in 4-5 PO games and get $10-12.50 for them . . . they sell those games for more than I got and I spend the credit on other stuff. This only leads to an increase in business volume for them.

Because of the POX list which I never complain about, I mostly bring in pretty good games and I've seen them sell at my store. For instance, I've brought in Psi Ops, Zenosaga, Tenchu, many others and I don't see them clogging the shelves of my local.

If EB really wants to stop the monkey business with trades they should create a visible written policy dealing with the "problem" of exchanges and returns.

well, theoretically, you could just pick up multiples of the game and return them without a receipt for gift cards at walmart, which you can use to buy practically anything. someone ought to try that ;p

[quote name='tacklebox']well, theoretically, you could just pick up multiples of the game and return them without a receipt for gift cards at walmart, which you can use to buy practically anything. someone ought to try that ;p[/QUOTE]

that is called ripping off walmart. our local eb will no longer allow you to remove the preorder and move that money to another game. They also said it will say TRADE IN PROMO when you pick up the game with recept so right there shows they wont Take it back... They said something about it will say Exchange for same game only

[quote name='slidecage']that is called ripping off walmart. our local eb will no longer allow you to remove the preorder and move that money to another game. They also said it will say TRADE IN PROMO when you pick up the game with recept so right there shows they wont Take it back... They said something about it will say Exchange for same game only[/QUOTE]

Damn. What about the old `gift receipt' trick? Or will they just not let you get one in the first place?

I wonder what percentage of the trade-ins that people did were purely for credit (or, for the same side of the same coin, how much their numbers for the trade-in deals will go down).

this is not really true, since most games ppl are trading in are ones they can buy for $5 at BB that ebgames will probably end up selling for $5 themselves. but i dont really see the big issue with switching credit. unless EA is subsidizing eb for tradeins toward Madden, NCAA, or Nascar (which would be lost when credit changed), it shouldnt really matter.

[quote name='schultzed']This has a YMMV attached to it.

Some have run into problems returning games that they got on tradein deals . . . one nearby store won't do it but my local has never stopped me (fingers crossed for the future).

I never heard of problems switching a preorder (done it myself before) but recently some CAGers have posted that EB changed their system and some have been stopped from "canceling" and getting credit on a preorder.

I going to try one of mine later . . .

I sure hope EB doesn't go down this path. The tradein deals are the only way to get fair value for a game at EB and if they eliminate my "scam" I will stop (or severely limit) my business with them.

I bring in 4-5 PO games and get $10-12.50 for them . . . they sell those games for more than I got and I spend the credit on other stuff. This only leads to an increase in business volume for them.

Because of the POX list which I never complain about, I mostly bring in pretty good games and I've seen them sell at my store. For instance, I've brought in Psi Ops, Zenosaga, Tenchu, many others and I don't see them clogging the shelves of my local.

If EB really wants to stop the monkey business with trades they should create a visible written policy dealing with the "problem" of exchanges and returns.[/QUOTE]

You guys were getting me concerned . . . I stopped by EB today and cancelled my Nascar preorder and put the credit on my Edge card . . . whew! No problem and the manager was standing right there.

I certainly didn't want a Nascar game.

[quote name='schultzed']You guys were getting me concerned . . . I stopped by EB today and cancelled my Nascar preorder and put the credit on my Edge card . . . whew! No problem and the manager was standing right there.

I certainly didn't want a Nascar game.[/QUOTE]

Depending on how much you had in the four games, I would have given you cash.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63189

Of course, it'd be a waste of your time and effort if you had close to $25 tied up in the game.

Speaking of YMMV ...

I was making the preorder rounds at EBGames yesterday.

At the first store, the employee wouldn't take more than 1 copy of any games across all of my preorders. Also, he made each preorder a separate transaction. I got multiple preorders in and there wasn't any limit on doing more if I had the games.

At the second store, the employee freaked out when I brought in a large stack of games. He called another store (one with a pompous ass I've had the displeasure of talking to) and his district manager to see if the deal was OK. The guy was new, didn't know about the deal, and exaggerated about the number of copies of a single title I had (he said I had 20 copies of Enter The Matrix (PS2) when I had 9 copies between Xbox and PS2 Enter The Matrix). He let me do one preorder and said it'd be OK to do another one tomorrow.

At the third store, I was joking about the second store's attitude to another customer in line. When it was my turn, I grabbed a nearby flyer with the NASCAR deal on it and asked the two employees to see if the deal had a "limit 1 per customer" clause. One employee read over the flyer, didn't see any limits and both stated they hadn't heard any limits imposed by corporate. They took in the rest of my games happily. They even wanted to put all of the preorders on one receipt.

[quote name='schultzed']

Because of the POX list which I never complain about, I mostly bring in pretty good games and I've seen them sell at my store. For instance, I've brought in Psi Ops, Zenosaga, Tenchu, many others and I don't see them clogging the shelves of my local.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem. While you may trade in some decent titles, others don't. for example the guy above me who traded in 9 Enter the Matrix - it sells for 9.99? used and nobody really wants them.

I take advantage of some trade in deals but usually for a game that I'm at least mildly interested, which I can play and then resell if I don't like. Usually though it's just to get rid of a couple of games from my collection that I don't play.

I've always thought that cancelling and using it for another game was YMMV. Why should EB even honor that - the trade in deal is for the specific game. It's not "trade in 4 games for any new game". But I don't see how it would be good business to stop accepting returns that were gifts or "gifts". I can picture people throwing fits for that.

[quote name='jngx80']That's the problem. While you may trade in some decent titles, others don't. for example the guy above me who traded in 9 Enter the Matrix - it sells for 9.99? used and nobody really wants them.

I've always thought that cancelling and using it for another game was YMMV. Why should EB even honor that - the trade in deal is for the specific game. It's not "trade in 4 games for any new game". But I don't see how it would be good business to stop accepting returns that were gifts or "gifts". I can picture people throwing fits for that.[/QUOTE]

One should space out multiples are brought in . . . they shouldn't let you do even two on a preorder. I try to think a little bit about their business as I do the deals. I don't have a "screw EB" (or FYE) attitude about this. I just try to maximize my gaming dollar. For instance, my Kirby Canvas Curse just arrived ($22.50 shipped complete after coupons) with my tradeins this was about $10 out of pocket.

I don't bring in a huge pile of games, I never do more than 2 preorders at a time. I'm not looking to make money but I do exploit their deals.

I wouldn't have much problem with EB not allowing cancellation of a tradein deal as long as it is a written policy . . . they could print it right on the receipt. But I've never seen any legal language about returns other than the standard stuff that is on the back of their receipts.

BTW, they still have a Kirby instock
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255930.asp

[quote name='jngx80']That's the problem. While you may trade in some decent titles, others don't. for example the guy above me who traded in 9 Enter the Matrix - it sells for 9.99? used and nobody really wants them. [/QUOTE]

Yep, and I traded in 9 Enter the Matrix. Of course, I also traded in an Ico, a couple of Psi Ops, a few KOTOR I, a few Devil May Cry and a bunch of other titles that ended up with yellow $14.99 stickers.

If they sell half of the stuff I traded in for their prices, they'll be even.

Regarding the whole scheme of trading in a game for $50 store credit, I'm against it.

If you ordered it, it's yours.

It would be like ordering a pizza for carryout during the evening rush. The store could probably find another customer willing to eat your pizza, but it isn't their job to find that customer.

EB had a trade 3 and get GT4 free a while back.

I went to an EB looking to unload as many games as I could.

When the employee looked up the deal in the computer, it had the "limit 1 per customer" clause.

So, I traded in 3 games and got 1 GT4. I didn't utter or think one word of protest.

For this preorder deal, EB didn't put a "limit 1 per customer" clause on the flyer, in the computer or in their employees' heads.

So, I'm not screwing anybody over. I'm accepting the terms of their deal.

If they don't want to accept a certain title, they can POX it.

If they don't want to accept multiple copies of a title, they can put it in writing or make it known to their workers.

If they don't want a single person reserving multiple copies of a game, they can update their computers with a business rule tied to the person's id number, phone number or edge card number.

When I walk into a business, I accept whatever limitations they choose to impose on me no matter how arbitrary they are.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']
Regarding the whole scheme of trading in a game for $50 store credit, I'm against it.

If you ordered it, it's yours.
[/QUOTE]

Funny, because I'm in favor of the "scheme" and I agree completely with your rules in the above post.

"I'm not screwing anybody over. I'm accepting the terms of their deal."

"If they don't want to accept" returns of a game acquired in a trade-in deal "they can put it in writing or make it known to their workers."

:)

schultzed, I'm with you man...

exploit all you want, but do it within the confines of their rules. Keep in mind though, that it is very possible to bite the hand that feeds you by OVERdoing it (9 copies of the same game). Just use common sense and don't be jerk about it.

Until the rules change, I'm all for streching them.

I don't see a problem with cancelling/returning the pre-ordered game. There is no rule saying you can't. And I also do every thing within their own rules, which is why I should always technically win.

[quote name='schultzed']Funny, because I'm in favor of the "scheme" and I agree completely with your rules in the above post.

"I'm not screwing anybody over. I'm accepting the terms of their deal."

"If they don't want to accept" returns of a game acquired in a trade-in deal "they can put it in writing or make it known to their workers."

:)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I thought they had a "no preorder canceling or returning" rule in writing.

If I was just a touch more evil, I'd cancel all of my preorders and turn them into credit towards PSPs.

Hmm, a PSP would be costing me $100-$125 out of pocket depending on where I bought the PO titles.

But...

I'm just not ready to go down that road.

I did one more of this deal (at another store)
Used:

Cubix (PS2)
Cat in the Hat (PS2)
007 EON (GC)
Project Gotham 2 (X) . . . I got this during the $5 glitch at CC in Dec. --just didn't get into it

First off, I'm the OP, I'm just using my screename at work to post this since, well, I'm at work. I WAS able to preorder then cancel Nascar at a different EB than the one I first tried at and transferred the credit to Day of Reckoning 2 without a problem. I guess even if the stores are few blocks away from the other, it's truly YMMV.

lets all buy 50% off TRU games and take them back to another store and demand full Credit. its the same thing your ripping off both stores.

I did this last month and cancelled it to get Battlefield 2. And it came out as $50 instead of the $40 they advertise on their website.

[quote name='slidecage']lets all buy 50% off TRU games and take them back to another store and demand full Credit. its the same thing your ripping off both stores.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Getting full credit back would imply having some sort of receipt stating a fraudulent amount.

In this instance, EB hasn't taken the time to close up a loophole. Obviously, it isn't a huge problem for EB or they wouldn't allow the preorder and switch/cancel as a matter of written policy.

[quote name='slidecage']lets all buy 50% off TRU games and take them back to another store and demand full Credit. its the same thing your ripping off both stores.[/QUOTE]

u are an idiot.

those stores arent saying, hey u can return those games to us for only a select title.

Despite the fact that the site says this deal is until the 31st, I went in today and the guy said it's expired considering the new deals started today.

[quote name='TimPV3']Despite the fact that the site says this deal is until the 31st, I went in today and the guy said it's expired considering the new deals started today.[/QUOTE]

I bet it's probably still in the system but either the employee didn't care or just assumed that it wouldn't work since there are new promotions. This one guy at EB never lets me do trade in deals. Each time I come in with games hes like, it ended last week or whatever. Even though I've been able to go to that same eb with a different employee and do the trade.

[quote name='pinoy530']I bet it's probably still in the system but either the employee didn't care or just assumed that it wouldn't work since there are new promotions. This one guy at EB never lets me do trade in deals. Each time I come in with games hes like, it ended last week or whatever. Even though I've been able to go to that same eb with a different employee and do the trade.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you need to bring something to a manager's attention.

[quote name='pinoy530']I bet it's probably still in the system but either the employee didn't care or just assumed that it wouldn't work since there are new promotions. This one guy at EB never lets me do trade in deals. Each time I come in with games hes like, it ended last week or whatever. Even though I've been able to go to that same eb with a different employee and do the trade.[/QUOTE]
I'll try it again tomorrow, usually they never know about anything until it rings up.

"Put another penny on my Edge card today"

Thats about 8 in the month of August . . .

Did my last Nascar deal with:
Megaman X8 ($10 at FYE but I have credit and a coupon)
True Pool ($5 at Half-Price Books)
18 Wheeler (GC $5 at HPB)
Had a choice between Bad Boys and Beyond Good and Evil for $5 at BB, so I got
Beyond Good and Evil . . . to put a great game on the shelves

bread's done
Back