Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind $17.50 Walmart.com/$19.49 Amazon

I think this is actually pretty close to release week price including the DMR coupon. The coupon was only worth $8, I think, and no stores were cooperating with prices hovering around MSRP.

[quote name='theflicker']I think this is actually pretty close to release week price including the DMR coupon. The coupon was only worth $8, I think, and no stores were cooperating with prices hovering around MSRP.[/QUOTE]The coupon was $10, and the cheapest place to buy it B&M was Target, so it was $17.99 + tax. Even with a 10% tax rate, it was $19.79.

I have a price watch on camelcamelcamel.com for $17.98, so if it hits that in the return period with Target (almost gone, I think), I'll return my copy to Target.

This is as cheap as it's been on Amazon, without question. Essentially as cheap as it's been with the DMR coupon on release.

Transfer owns, the audio tracks are great (a billion dubs + native in lossless), a true classic worthy of purchase.

Also lollin' @ VHS Tape reviews being mixed in with the Blu-ray's reviews. WTF Amazon?

[quote name='Xizer']Transfer owns, the audio tracks are great (a billion dubs + native in lossless), a true classic worthy of purchase.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the movie definitely does not look its age. I gotta say way back when Disney first acquired the US rights to the Ghibli catalog I was expecting the worst, but they have probably done a far better job with them than anyone else would have. Can't wait for the others (especially Kiki's) to get the blu treatment.

BTW, did Disney get the rights to Totoro as well? I know it was originally published over here by Fox I believe.

Yeah Disney has the rights to Totoro and even restored it back to it's original content (apparently FOX edited out some content). Anyhow, I almost got this movie for FREE and a ton of other Disney movies but I showed up to work late the day they were giving them out for free. Son of a bitch! Luckily one of my co-workers who doubles as a friend got it, so I'm going to convince him to at least sell it to me for a good price.

[quote name='PotatoGuy']ordered! sucks its 7-9 days on wait.
how many more movies of his are on blu? want them all![/QUOTE]

This and Ponyo are the only Ghibli films on Blu-ray so far in America. Japan also has Laputa and My Neighbors the Yamadas, with Whisper of the Heart coming in July.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']This and Ponyo are the only Ghibli films on Blu-ray so far in America. Japan also has Laputa and My Neighbors the Yamadas, with Whisper of the Heart coming in July.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping for Sprited Away in BluRay.. wondering when. :)

[quote name='BustaUppa']updated OP for a slight price drop. $0.50 cheaper yay![/QUOTE]

And it now beats the cheapest price @ launch when I missed the coupon because it was dead on Sunday when release was Tuesday! WOO!

In for one. Thanks.

[quote name='dg7md']Perfect price, here's hoping it still ships with the slipcover.[/QUOTE]I got mine today, and it came with a slip cover. The only bad things is that they put stickers on it about how an much of an amazing value it is (since it's a combo) and that it'll play on your PS3.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I got mine today, and it came with a slip cover. The only bad things is that they put stickers on it about how an much of an amazing value it is (since it's a combo) and that it'll play on your PS3.[/QUOTE]

The stickers come off very easily if you use a blade carefully to lift a corner. Disney uses stickers that peel right off without tearing.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']And it now beats the cheapest price @ launch when I missed the coupon because it was dead on Sunday when release was Tuesday! WOO!

In for one. Thanks.[/QUOTE]Had I not picked it up at launch via the coupon, I would have picked it up at this price, since it's close enough to match the price + tax of the coupon'd price.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']This and Ponyo are the only Ghibli films on Blu-ray so far in America. Japan also has Laputa and My Neighbors the Yamadas, with Whisper of the Heart coming in July.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was wondering what other Miyazaki films were on blu.
They should start with the new ones and go backwards.
Spirited Away is the movie I most want, of course.

I just noticed the American voices for Nausicaa has Captain Picard, Admiral Adama, and Sam Witwiki.

[quote name='shrike4242']Had I not picked it up at launch via the coupon, I would have picked it up at this price, since it's close enough to match the price + tax of the coupon'd price.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I missed out at launch BECAUSE of the short time frame for the coupon. I don't expect it to dip too much lower, so this was definitely the time for me to buy.

[quote name='gordojones88']I have credit at Walmart so I decided to check them.

$17.50 with free shipping site-to-store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15561794?findingMethod=rr
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what prompted Amazon to drop the price in the first place. I submitted that price to Amazon in hopes they'd match several days ago, but so far, nothing. Amazon is apparently doing the same thing with those X-Men and Gargoyles sets, where Wal-Mart has them for even a couple bucks cheaper.

Something I was wondering that maybe someone can help me with. I noticed that this release had new English dubs. What is the consensus on the new actors doing dubs over the original? I ask because I own the 2005 dvd version and I was wondering whether to dump that for the new one.

The consensus in the reviewers' circle is that the new dubs are of extremely high quality. You might in fact already own the new dubs if you have a DVD from 2005, as I think that is about when they were re-recorded. The new dubs are noticeably better than the Japanese dubs, for instance, which are still from the 1980s and are reported to sound thinner in comparison because of the improvement in audio mastering over the decades.

[quote name='Antic']Something I was wondering that maybe someone can help me with. I noticed that this release had new English dubs. What is the consensus on the new actors doing dubs over the original? I ask because I own the 2005 dvd version and I was wondering whether to dump that for the new one.[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm aware, it's the same dub from the old DVD release.

bread's done
Back