NBA Live 2010 Free Roster updates and daily DNA updates starting 10/20

kevgret

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Today NBA Elite (2011) has been delayed until further notice.

Because of this delay EA has issued the following statement about Live 2010:

-"For NBA LIVE 10 players, we will continue to offer free content and services throughout the 2010-11 season. We will start with a new roster update so you get all the players for the new season, free of charge. We will also provide free Dynamic DNA updates, daily, for the entire season. That’s a full season of basketball with new rosters and updates, free."

This is pretty good news for those would have Live 2010 or would like to pick it up over NBA 2k11 as an alternative.

Right now, Gamestop has Live for $24.99 used but it can be had for around $13 with some of those $10 coupons people have been storing up plus edge. It comes to around $18.75 with edge and cag16 codes.

I know this isn't a cheap deal per say but I think it's worth atleast a heads up that Live 2010 will be supported this year by EA

Kevin

UPDATE 10/18

18-October-2010
Everyone has been asking what exactly can we expect to see with the NBA LIVE 10 update that was announced? This blog is here to give you all the info that you wanted. NBA LIVE 10 is here for the 2010-2011 season and the game will provide for free updates throughout the entire NBA season. Here’s a list of everything that you can expect to see with the roster update that will be going out on the morning of Wednesday October 20th:

- All rosters have been updated to reflect the 2010-2011 NBA season

- The 2010-2011 rookie class has been included in the update

- There will be DNA Updates throughout the NBA Regular season. Expect the first update to arrive two to three weeks after the NBA regular season begins

- All the player ratings have been updated

There are a few important notes that you should all be aware of regarding the NBA LIVE 10 Update:

- The new rookie class will not have cyber faces included in the update

- Rosters may not be 100% accurate with the first update due to NBA teams not having their rosters locked to 15 players. The rosters will be updated again to reflect the final selections made before the regular season begins.

- Jerseys will not be updated to reflect the 2010-2011 NBA season

- Stadiums will not be updated

- Player shoes have not been updated and there will be no shoe updates coming with NBA LIVE 10 this year.

- There are no scheduled gameplay updates included with the roster update

- Dynamic Season will not be updated

- NBA ELITE commentary will not be incorporated into the update.

All of the DNA Roster Updates will be provided for free with NBA LIVE 10 this year. Expect DNA Updates throughout the entire NBA season as well as any important reports to come your way regarding everything NBA from EA SPORTS. See you all again soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='frpilot']sort of good news for nba live 10 owners and may not have that big of an incentive to buy nba elite 11.[/QUOTE]

except that they changed the gameplay of live...

[quote name='kryptonic']Wonder what the reason would be to dump a whole game that is due in less than a month... Weird.[/QUOTE]
it sucks

how could a game this bad get to a week of its release date before it got cancelled?

Who is going to take the fall at EA for this complete garbage of a product?

Also- if the game was going to come out next week, then there has to be thousands of copies somewhere ready to be shipped.. how long until ebay gets a hold of them?

Kevin

[quote name='kryptonic']Wonder what the reason would be to dump a whole game that is due in less than a month... Weird.[/QUOTE]

Not even that... it was coming out next week.

[quote name='Lucian']This is one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard.[/QUOTE]

ditto, I'd almost say unheard of! I am shocked but happy NBA Jam will be sold separately. But the question remains if it'll still be an XBLA/PSN title, or if they will just 'port' the Wii version over, throw in multiplayer and give us the real deal, sell it for $50 on every console..only way I see to make some money..

I don't bother playing the demos since I get every EA game anyway. Was it that bad?

I actually was looking forward to NBA Elite... to get NBA Jam.

Wow... just read the destructoid article. I wonder how cheap I can find NBA Live 10.

[quote name='helluvagood']No idea why you would buy nba live2010 when nba 2k11 comes out next week. It's just beyond me.[/QUOTE]

I can offer some plausible insight. First, NBA Live 2010 would be cheaper which is one consideration. Also, as someone who played the 2k games on the dreamcast as a teenager, I can tell you that I find the movement in the current 2k games to be a bit robotic. Certainly that's just my opinion, but as I said, it's the opinion of someone who previously loved 2k sports games.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']2K must be pumped about this[/QUOTE]

yeah no kidding they just basically run over elite 11 to a possibility of getting canned and their game is not even released yet.

I like the LIVE/ELITE series more than the 2K series. Kinda bummed about ELITE, but I might pick up LIVE '10 again if I can get it cheap enough. Thanks for the heads up OP.

If these updates will put Boozer/Korver/etc. on my Bulls, I just might pick up an old copy of Live '10. I havent played live in a while, or really any basketball game for that matter, but this seems like as good of time as any to jump back in.

I guess I don't get it. Are the updates free for everyone? Or do you have to have a valid code from buying it new? If you buy it used and the code has been redeemed, it costs 1200 Microsoft points for DNA updated rosters.

Live 10 was actually a pretty decent game, but after seeing this: 2K11 Demo I don't think I can go back to either of last year's game anymore. 2K11 in motion just looks so smooth and the Jordan Challenges just sweeten the pot.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Even if you could find it why would you want that garbage[/QUOTE]

[quote name='helluvagood']No idea why you would buy nba live2010 when nba 2k11 comes out next week. It's just beyond me.[/QUOTE]

because NBA Live is probably gonna be $10. And I already had it last year with the roster updates subscription. It's also far from garbage. Considering FIFA 11 and NHL 11 and Madden 11 will be occupying most of my time, I don't need to pay even $50 for 2k11.

[quote name='hostyl1']If these updates will put Boozer/Korver/etc. on my Bulls, I just might pick up an old copy of Live '10. I havent played live in a while, or really any basketball game for that matter, but this seems like as good of time as any to jump back in.[/QUOTE]

You know that if you get an old copy of Live, you'd have to pay for the roster updates if the code has already been redeemed.

[quote name='V878']Live 10 was actually a pretty decent game, but after seeing this: 2K11 Demo I don't think I can go back to either of last year's game anymore. 2K11 in motion just looks so smooth and the Jordan Challenges just sweeten the pot.[/QUOTE]

That looks pretty freakin sweet.

It's not like they just scrapped the game. It'll still come out.

Anyways, I tried the demo and actually enjoyed the way it controlled. I liked the dribbling and the way you could maneuver yourself while driving to the basket. That said, there was still something about the game that just made it seem "off". The controls were good, but it still just didnt play as well as the 2K series.

[quote name='kevgret']Today NBA Elite (2011) has been delayed until further notice.

Because of this delay EA has issued the following statement about Live 2010:

-"For NBA LIVE 10 players, we will continue to offer free content and services throughout the 2010-11 season. We will start with a new roster update so you get all the players for the new season, free of charge. We will also provide free Dynamic DNA updates, daily, for the entire season. That’s a full season of basketball with new rosters and updates, free."

This is pretty good news for those would have Live 2010 or would like to pick it up over NBA 2k11 as an alternative.

Right now, Gamestop has Live for $24.99 used but it can be had for around $13 with some of those $10 coupons people have been storing up plus edge. It comes to around $18.75 with edge and cag16 codes.
[/QUOTE]
Remember the DNA thing is a one-time use code. You won't be getting those daily DNA updates (that adjust stats and things during the season) with a used game -- without paying an extra 1200 points for it. Not sure about the roster updates, though.

[quote name='kevgret']how could a game this bad get to a week of its release date before it got cancelled?

Also- if the game was going to come out next week, then there has to be thousands of copies somewhere ready to be shipped.. how long until ebay gets a hold of them?

Kevin[/QUOTE]

At least EA has the balls and courtesy to do it. 2k charged full price for MLB 2k8 and 2k9 when they were basically beta tests of the product. Those were two of the worst bugged games I have ever played. Not only that, but the customer service on the 2k forums was one of the most outrageous things I have ever witnessed. All problems were ignored, most threads were deleted. They basically stole $120 from me.

I'm not trying to make this into EA vs 2k, but EA is clearly doing the right thing here. 2k should be taking notes right now. I'm still pissed about those MLB games.

[quote name='62t']they might as well cancel Elite 2011 if they can't release it by the end of the year[/QUOTE]

or release it at the start of the playoffs

they should give some new achievements for live 10 along with the roster updates...either way getting 2k11 release day.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']or release it at the start of the playoffs[/QUOTE]

That would be end of May. Won't work for 2 reasons.

1. By then 2K11 will already be on clearance, so they can't sell it at full price.
2. It means between the release date of 2K11 and 2K12 will only be 4 months apart, so it will hurt the sales of 2K12.

I liked the dribbling controls in the demo much more than the 2k demo but everything other than the controls in Elite was fucking awful compared to 2k11.

Nice, I was going to trade it in a few weeks ago when it had a TIV of $12. I waited too long, the TIV dropped to $9 and I didn't bother trading it in. Looks like I'll be going back to playing online this year, which was actually good in Live 10. Everyone is probably going to pick the Heat.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Even if you could find it why would you want that garbage[/QUOTE]

As others have already said, you can probably find NBA Live 2010 for damn cheap.

[quote name='tsl141']At least EA has the balls and courtesy to do it. 2k charged full price for MLB 2k8 and 2k9 when they were basically beta tests of the product. Those were two of the worst bugged games I have ever played. Not only that, but the customer service on the 2k forums was one of the most outrageous things I have ever witnessed. All problems were ignored, most threads were deleted. They basically stole $120 from me.

I'm not trying to make this into EA vs 2k, but EA is clearly doing the right thing here. 2k should be taking notes right now. I'm still pissed about those MLB games.[/QUOTE]

Join the club. People moan about EA and the NFL license, but 2K completely shit all over the MLB license, which they only went after to spite EA.

[quote name='V878']Live 10 was actually a pretty decent game, but after seeing this: 2K11 Demo I don't think I can go back to either of last year's game anymore. 2K11 in motion just looks so smooth and the Jordan Challenges just sweeten the pot.[/QUOTE]

AWESOME!! Laker's showtime is back.

Now just multiply that video times 3 to get my Miami HEAT.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']Two things they should do.

1) Release it on 10/5 for $40 and patch it as the season goes.

2) Fix problems for Elite 12.[/QUOTE]

The NBA will not allow either EA or 2K, to discount the new games. They must be sold at MSRP. That is the NBA's rule after what NFL 2K5 did by lowering the price to $20 at launch to entice longtime Madden players back in 2004.

NFL, NBA, and MLB all have this clause now. Maybe NHL too, IDK. You can't discount the game right off the bat.

It "devalues" the brand or something of that ilk.

[quote name='kevgret']how could a game this bad get to a week of its release date before it got cancelled?

Kevin[/QUOTE]

For the most part I'd say that the game hasn't been pressed yet. This isn't new for EA who had a bad Madden 1 year and refused to release it next gen and held it back 1 year. True it wasn't 1 week before the game came out but wow. I'm just glad NBA Live 10 will have all the roster updates, just won't have the new schedule which doesn't change much year to year so no big deal there.

I never picked up NBA Live 10 but since it's cheaper I might pick it up since the rosters will be updated for the new year.

[quote name='Limegreen']I gotta say that Elite demo was horrible Ea read my mind by canceling ![/QUOTE]

Its not cancelled just delayed

[quote name='JohnDoe8865']The NBA will not allow either EA or 2K, to discount the new games. They must be sold at MSRP. That is the NBA's rule after what NFL 2K5 did by lowering the price to $20 at launch to entice longtime Madden players back in 2004.

NFL, NBA, and MLB all have this clause now. Maybe NHL too, IDK. You can't discount the game right off the bat.

It "devalues" the brand or something of that ilk.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, where did you read this?

bread's done
Back