NCAA '07 - July 18th

ShimSham

CAGiversary!
It's that time again! Well, Tuesday it will be.

ncaa07football_ps2boxboxart_160w.jpg

A few bits of info on EA's most recent installment of NCAA Football.

[quote name='"IGN"']Much more than a simple roster upgrade or a knockoff of Madden, the NCAA series has steadily been refining its focus to present things like the energetically charged atmosphere that rocks campus stadiums during big plays. We managed to run enough offensive and defensive plays, as well as sink enough time into the Campus Legend mode to discover how incredibly deep this year's game will be when it comes out next month.[/quote] [quote name='"Gamespot"']EA Sports has learned a lot from that momentum-changing moment in this year's NCAA National Championship game. Perhaps more so than in any other sport, college football is about momentum, the rapidly shifting swings of fortune that can occur at any moment. With the latest in its college football series, NCAA Football 07, the development team behind the game has sought to capture those moments of inspired passion that make college football utterly unique.

Larry Richart: Playbooks have undergone the biggest update in the history of the game. The overall playbook size has increased by about 30 percent with each team having an additional three formations and about 50 more plays. We have added over 100 new formations to the game, with 87 offensive and 16 defensive.

A new behind-the-back third-person camera when playing on defense will let you pressure kickers like never before, and if you're good, you'll probably get your hand on a few punts this year. In years past, blocking a kick felt more like a random dice roll by the computer; this season, the ball is in your hands (if you're good enough, that is).

The new trick controls are bolstered by a host of new plays in the NCAA playbook--by far the most extensive overhaul of the game's tactical side in series history. In addition to new formations, such as Tulsa's triple-stack wide-receiver formation and South Carolina's Emory and Henry set, the playbooks themselves are more tailored to the teams than ever before.

Whereas the goal of last year's game was to win the Heisman trophy, that's only a small part of what you'll be looking to do this time around...
After you've chosen your alma mater, you head into the meat of the game, but not before choosing a major. Yes, that's right, you'll have to pick a major. Majors are split along three different difficulty levels--"easy" level includes "1A Team Nicknames" and sports geography; "moderate" level covers everything from world geography to mathematics; and finally, "difficult" level includes chemistry and psychology. The more difficult the major, the more it will benefit your player, which is a cool touch. Excel in psychology, for example, and your player will gain bonuses in awareness, speed, and carrying (perfect for a running back). To stay eligible for game day, you'll need to maintain a 2.0 grade point average, and you'll bolster (or bring down) your GPA with periodic meetings with your tutor, a midterm exam, and a final exam. It's not too involved, and even the most difficult questions aren't that taxing, but it's definitely a fun take on the virtual college experience.[/quote]

I forgot to mention EBGames has special mascot covers

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/ncaa07/ncaa07.asp

ncaa07_alabama.jpg
ncaa07_texas.jpg
ncaa07_ga.jpg

Those three are hardly all there is. I want to say there's one from every state.

Unfortunetly Miss State University got one instead of USM, where I go. I could probably make one.

932197_20060508_screen013.jpg

Who's your alma mater?

[quote name='Fatesealer']Call me crazy but why does a college game need a yearly update, if no players are identified by name?[/quote]
Their names aren't nearly as important as their attributes--which are in the game. And the ease of downloading rosters to put the real names in the game makes it a non-issue anyway.

[quote name='Fatesealer']Call me crazy but why does a college game need a yearly update, if no players are identified by name?[/quote]

Because things in the game are tweaked, removed or added every year. Theres a college game released every year but its not the same game.

Also, so many people ask for EA to change the game.

Really, there are only so many things you can do before you're not even playing football anymore.

ncaasm.jpg

So the little release party last nightwas pretty fun. Free food and drink. Trivia games and I saw a ton of my highschool friends who I haven't really seen since graduation since most of them are just home for the summer.

After putting a good amount of play into the game... (PS2 '07 version compared to the PS2 NCAA '06)

- Players are faster.
- Hits are bigger.
- Kicks are actually blockable and that makes things a lot more interesting.
- New camera angles for kick returns and punt blocks are cool.
- Career modes are deeper
- No terrible soundtrack, just fight songs, which are great.

The only thing I wish they had fixed weren't even really game mechanics. I'd just like to see more pregame stuff and maybe see a glimpse of halftime shows. It's fine if they're skippable but halftime shows and homecoming ceremonies and stuff would really help drive home the whole college theme.

Overall though, thumbs up , easily better than '06 IMO and well worth my money.

bread's done
Back