NCAA Football 12 - July 12 - 6/14: Road to Glory Revealed - Demo Out Now

I just picked up my copy on my lunch break and hope to get into it tonight. Looking forward to trying the Road to Glory mode since it's been a few years since I've done anything other than Dynasty.

I've been reading the impressions threads over at the OS forums, and it doesn't good. Most people seem to have a love/hate relationship with'12 so far. Most complaints resemble those from '11's version, and that's disappointing. Like I mentioned before (I think) this franchise is a day 1-must buy-no questions asked for me. After playing the demo, I was so ticked off at the garbage that I saw, and experienced, that I immediately cancelled my pre-order. From the looks of it, I know I made the right choice. It seems EA went a bit lax with '12. I'll still pick it up, but not for more than $30. If EA has chosen to make a half ass attempt on this game (3D grass? Try again!) then I'm going to spend no more than half of the MSRP.

The high school games in RTG are garbage. I just lost in the first round of playoffs because my kicker missed an PAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gbpackers94']The high school games in RTG are garbage. I just lost in the first round of playoffs because my kicker missed an PAT.[/QUOTE]

I've been reading some horror stories regarding RTG. Opponents punting on second down inside the 30, and other inconsistencies across the board, are being reported. Ugh...

I googled and think I know the answer is no but is there any work around to enter the online pass code without the actual game. I have the code for someone at work that doesn't play online but no game yet.

The thing is though, these improvements really ought to be par for the course by now. Franchises like MLB: The Show, NBA 2K and FIFA have shown us what a true next-gen sports game should look like thanks to their excellent feature sets, high degrees of polish, and outstanding graphics. By contrast, the cardboard cutouts in the stands; the uneven presentation (great new run-outs, bland celebrations at the end); and above all, the glitches and the lack of polish, make me feel like NCAA Football 12 is behind the times.

It's a decent football sim thanks to its excellent Dynasty Mode; and the new tackling physics, custom playbooks, and other features are sorely needed additions. But we're deep into this generation, and expectations have been raised for sports games (and pretty much everything else). So why does it feel like I'm playing a game that should have come out in 2008?

Enough said for me...a subpar game that apparently is much improved but still about a decade behind every other major sports franchise. Yea...pass.

I got my copy from Amazon. The $20 promo credit was a nice incentive, plus I used my Best Buy credit to buy Amazon Gift Cards.....so, no money out of pocket. So far, I only played about half a game, but it plays similiar to the demo. I haven't noticed anything different really. I hope to start my dynasty when we get some stable rosters out there. Supposedly FK should be done today with JUST renames. I may wait until someone tweaks ratings and what not.

I know some are upset that Denard Robinson does NOT have dreads though.

[quote name='doubledown']I got my copy from Amazon. The $20 promo credit was a nice incentive, plus I used my Best Buy credit to buy Amazon Gift Cards.....so, no money out of pocket. So far, I only played about half a game, but it plays similiar to the demo. I haven't noticed anything different really. I hope to start my dynasty when we get some stable rosters out there. Supposedly FK should be done today with JUST renames. I may wait until someone tweaks ratings and what not.

I know some are upset that Denard Robinson does NOT have dreads though.
[/QUOTE]

That's part of the problem people are having with '12. Robinson is a household name within college football, and yet they couldn't get his hair style correct. Don't get me wrong, I think it's kind of nit picky, but not really. It would be like if they made a new Metal Gear Solid, but Snake was had a goatee, was balding, and over-weight. Sure it's MGS, but not really.

[quote name='Pck21']That's part of the problem people are having with '12. Robinson is a household name within college football, and yet they couldn't get his hair style correct. Don't get me wrong, I think it's kind of nit picky, but not really. It would be like if they made a new Metal Gear Solid, but Snake was had a goatee, was balding, and over-weight. Sure it's MGS, but not really.[/QUOTE]

But doesn't EA have to be careful not to make them look too much like their real-life counterparts because of several lawsuits they got for making guys look real when they couldn't pay them?

[quote name='chriscolbert']But doesn't EA have to be careful not to make them look too much like their real-life counterparts because of several lawsuits they got for making guys look real when they couldn't pay them?[/QUOTE]

I believe it is related to a the certain number of faces related to the height/weight of a player. Supposedly if you bump Denards weight to 216, you can change his face to Dark Skin 12 or something like that and it will give him dreads. So, do you want a heavier Denard with Dreads or a real weight Denard with no dreads??!?
Maybe Denard plans on cutting his hair this year and EA hs the inside scoop ;)

FYI. Rosters are already out. I used Patrick Morty (GamerTAG) last night, and they seemed pretty good. I confirmed that you can edit Denard and give him dreads if you bump his weight.

Just played the demo yesterday, and I will be picking up the game today.

This demo had me excited to play NCAA football games again. I am pretty impressed with it so far, plus I need something else to take me away from all the FPS games, and Kinect casual games for now.

So I ended up getting this as a gift. I told you I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it! ;) In any case, it's still somewhat disappointing. The only redeeming factor is that the new uniforms are in the game, and they look great. The sounds of the game still bother me, along with a few other things. The new tackling animations really do make a difference.

I have to rant...

This game is awful. It is so much worse than '11 by a long shot, and anyone who says differently is a blind fool. Examples? Gladly.

Blocking is nonexistent. I don't know who fucked up this portion of the game, but they need to be fired. On more than 10 occasions, one or more of my lead blockers will run INTO a defender, not go into the blocking animation, get stuck in the running animation while TOUCHING the defender, and then run AROUND him! Look I understand if there's a missed assignment or block, we all do, but this is ridiculous. You can't explain to me that a guy missed a block when he physically ran into a defender AND then ran around him. That's poor and lazy programming at it's finest.

I also thought the "suction" physics had been removed? They did so with the D line, but forgot about the secondary. Again, during my last game, my CB was running horizontal to catch the ball carrier when out of nowhere he slowed down, turned slightly, and then was mysteriously in the blocking animation of the guy BEHIND the ball carrier! Are you kidding me? Because of that they scored on a 77 yard pass that should have been no more than 8 or 9!

Don't even get me started on the tackling. Explain to me how a guy can be less than a foot away from the ball carrier, but not tackle him. No instead, he follows behind him. The next play however, there's an improbable shoe string tackle. Give me a break!

The best part so far? The AI. Oh my, the AI. You'd think by 2011 we would have better AI in sports games. Sigh...during a punt I called for a fair catch as two defenders were bearing down on me while I was standing on the 25 yard line. I figured I was up by 10 in the 4th with 4 minutes left, and I didn't want to fumble so deep in my own zone. Seems like a decent strategy on my part, right? Well my AI punt returner decided, on his own accord no less, that my strategy was complete shit because as he was about to catch the ball, he sprinted towards the defenders without my instruction. The ball hit near the 22 yard line and bounced to the 8 yard line. I had to immediately jam the stick towards the ball so I could pick it up and run for a minimal gain, so as to not get pinned inside my own 10! What the fuck happened?!?!?!?

This turd will be a fart in the wind once the new Madden arrives. Usually NCAA plays a better game of football than Madden, but unless EA delivers a hot fresh human log filled with corn and blood to my door step wrapped in a Madden 12 bag, then who knows.

I totally agree, I think it sucks so far. The AI and difficulty is a major issue too -- All American is basically unplayable (I won't even try Heisman) without tinkering on sliders. Computer defensive backs are too fast, my blocking is a joke, you can't run. Varsity is too easy, so that leaves a gap where I don't feel comfortable with it.

I've tried putting it down for a few days hoping it gets better...but I'm tempted to get the $35 at Amazon for it.

A patch is the only way this could be improved.

Well, I like it.
Ilikeit.jpg

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']I totally agree, I think it sucks so far. The AI and difficulty is a major issue too -- All American is basically unplayable (I won't even try Heisman) without tinkering on sliders. Computer defensive backs are too fast, my blocking is a joke, you can't run. Varsity is too easy, so that leaves a gap where I don't feel comfortable with it.

I've tried putting it down for a few days hoping it gets better...but I'm tempted to get the $35 at Amazon for it.

A patch is the only way this could be improved.[/QUOTE]
I noticed some of the same issues, I can't pass to any receiver when a back is anywhere near them, not too bad because if I make decent throws at the right times I can still move the ball. I noticed it is rather easy to tell when a back will get to the ball by watching where they are before the snap. Not that the AI is any good, the receivers tend not to run their routes and sometimes even fall down or don't try to catch the ball. Heisman is almost impossible, even with sliders in your favor. Not a bad game, just has some AI issues.

[quote name='Cryptic Knight']Not a bad game, just has some AI issues.[/QUOTE]

So...we're paying $60 for the same game as a year ago, but with worse AI and a couple of mostly very minor cosmetic additions?

This game really ticks me off. What else do they do the entire year inbetween releasing versions of the game? You'd think the AI is the only thing they have to work on because they hardly touch the rest of it!

Infuriating. At this rate I have better things to do with my Amazon credit lol.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']So...we're paying $60 for the same game as a year ago, but with worse AI and a couple of mostly very minor cosmetic additions?

This game really ticks me off. What else do they do the entire year inbetween releasing versions of the game? You'd think the AI is the only thing they have to work on because they hardly touch the rest of it!

Infuriating. At this rate I have better things to do with my Amazon credit lol.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much, most of it is similar to last year with some minor additions I could live without. Par for the course with sports games, there will be years with little to no updates beyond a roster change. I wouldn't use an Amazon credit on it, best use it on something you will use a lot.

I tried another game this morning...same damn issues. I'm beyond frustrated with this turd. The only reason I wanted it was because of the addition of the PAC-12 and the new uniforms for my favorite team. If those additions weren't in the game, I would've traded it in a week ago. It's as if they didn't even try this year. I should've known something was up when they kept telling us how great the grass looked. No one cares about the grass. We want better, more realistic, fun game play. Why is that so hard to understand?

This morning I experienced the same slow suction blocking during an interception. My QB under threw the ball to the WR, and it was picked. No big deal. However, my QB was running horizontal to the ball carrier, and then my controller vibrated, the QB slowed down, turned, and was in the blocking animation with the player BEHIND him. Why in the world would a player do this in RL EA??? Why!?!?!?

I also noticed a terrible programming flaw during a kick return. 4 players bearing down on me and I truck the first guy. He falls down in front of the other 3 defenders, and one guy goes around him, one guy jumps and falls over him, and the last guy runs THROUGH him, and tackles me. Really? That's amazing. What a play.

I hate this game with a passion.

Well EA really fucked up guys. When people edit the rosters (names, att, equipment etc...) it changes player tendencies. So D Robinson will go from a scrambling qb to a balanced qb. A Luck will go from balanced to scrambling etc... They have acknowledged the issue but god knows when they'll patch it. They may have wasted all roster makers time and they may have really pissed off the fan base with this one.

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...-glitch-confirmed-patch-address-concerns.html

Bravo EA. Keep up the quality work

Straight from OS
When you edit the name of a scrambling QB it changes them to balanced and editing a balanced QB changes them to scrambling. I noticed when i downloaded a roster with names that Denard Robinson was shown as a balanced QB so i went back to the default roster and he was back to a scrambler. So i played a game with the named roster and he attempted zero scrambles. I then played a game with the default roster and he scrambled five times in the first two drives.

[quote name='slickkill77']Well EA really fucked up guys. When people edit the rosters (names, att, equipment etc...) it changes player tendencies. So D Robinson will go from a scrambling qb to a balanced qb. A Luck will go from balanced to scrambling etc... They have acknowledged the issue but god knows when they'll patch it. They may have wasted all roster makers time and they may have really pissed off the fan base with this one.

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...-glitch-confirmed-patch-address-concerns.html

Bravo EA. Keep up the quality work

Straight from OS
When you edit the name of a scrambling QB it changes them to balanced and editing a balanced QB changes them to scrambling. I noticed when i downloaded a roster with names that Denard Robinson was shown as a balanced QB so i went back to the default roster and he was back to a scrambler. So i played a game with the named roster and he attempted zero scrambles. I then played a game with the default roster and he scrambled five times in the first two drives.[/QUOTE]

There are 34 pages of comments in the Bugs/Glitches thread. There are 77 pages, and counting, in the thread you posted above. The game is awful, and all of those pages are the proof.

Well every game would have a Bugs/Glitches thread about that long. The problem is glitches like this one that I posted. These are literally game changing glitches that we are all affected by and this stuff happens every year. The game is a lot of fun but for gods sake EA, get it together.

[quote name='slickkill77']Well every game would have a Bugs/Glitches thread about that long. The problem is glitches like this one that I posted. These are literally game changing glitches that we are all affected by and this stuff happens every year. The game is a lot of fun but for gods sake EA, get it together.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. Unfortunately EA is notorious for this kind of shit. Their motto is, "If it's in the game, then it's in the game." No kidding? What games have you been watching EA? Apparently we're not watching the same sport half the time. 2K brought in Michael fucking Jordan to give them insight on NBA 2K11, and it was a huge hit. Is it that hard to, gee I don't know, ask someone who has played the sport to poke their head in for 5 minutes and look it over?

Well I was having a decent amount of fun with Road to Glory but hearing about all these other problems has me bummed out. I was going to probably skip Madden but I scored a great deal on it today by getting Amazon to PM TRU ($44.99) and still get the $20 credit so I guess that will be my football game of choice when it comes out (assuming it plays a better game of football).

Is there something that you can do online that makes it so the person kicking off can't use the meter? I just played a game and it happened every single time I kicked off. I would do the bar like normal but when I flicked up it didn't register, so all my kicks were short and he returned them to his 45 every time.
I still beat the chief by 14

[quote name='Cryptic Knight']Pretty much, most of it is similar to last year with some minor additions I could live without. Par for the course with sports games, there will be years with little to no updates beyond a roster change. I wouldn't use an Amazon credit on it, best use it on something you will use a lot.[/QUOTE]

No. Its par for the course for Madden and NCAA, its no where near true for any other sports game. Fifa, NHL, MLB The show, NBA 2k12 are not just roster updates and havent been for a while. There have been huge advancements in sports game on this generation. Hell even NBA Live a game that is official dead now had more next gen innovation then madden or ncaa.

I dont know if you mean to be an apologist or not but it pisses me off when Madden/NCAA fans try to group their shitty game in with all the other sports games. Its just funny how madden/ncaa fans have convinced themselves that the sheer ignorance of those two games are the status quo.

The best quote I have heard about the game was that its a pretty solid games...but one I could have sworn we played in 2007.

Its not all sports games...its these two sports games.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Well I was having a decent amount of fun with Road to Glory but hearing about all these other problems has me bummed out. I was going to probably skip Madden but I scored a great deal on it today by getting Amazon to PM TRU ($44.99) and still get the $20 credit so I guess that will be my football game of choice when it comes out (assuming it plays a better game of football).[/QUOTE]

How do I go about amazon Price matching it? I found the URL with the game on toysrus.com but I never price matched anything on amazon.

[quote name='Superstar']How do I go about amazon Price matching it? I found the URL with the game on toysrus.com but I never price matched anything on amazon.[/QUOTE]

There's a whole thread about it in the deals forum. Sounds like they stopped matching but what I did was place an order on Amazon to get an order number, then go into a chat with their customer service and say:

"I just pre-ordered Madden 12 for the 360 and then found out that TRU had it $15 cheaper. I know you guys don't usually price match but I wanted to check before I canceled my order with you guys."

They did it for me on the first try. Others have tried numerous times to no avail and other have gotten it on the 3rd-10th try. There's no rhyme or reason and certainly no guarantee that they will. But I will say that you have to order first before you have any chance. Since canceling is a breeze it won't hurt to try.

bread's done
Back