Need 1TB External Drive - Anyone use MacMall.com?

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I'm looking for a 1TB external drive. I had a HDD fail on me, so I don't want to be in this situation (it was my music drive, but I had it backed up to DVD's...which is going to suck to restore).

Anyways, MacMall has a Fantom 1TB external for $80 after rebate (eSata also).

I usually use NewEgg, but curious how MacMall Customer Service/Shipping is.

I bought my Mac from them, I think I received it about 2-3 days after ordering. Rebates took awhile but they finally came, I think it took about 10 weeks. Customer Service was great. I know at least 2 others that got their Mac from them and I didn't hear of any problems from them.

That's a good price on the 1TB you might want to check buy.com also they run the same model around the same price (w/rebate) with free shipping.

Saves more energy, possibly? I bought my 1tb WD Elements from Newegg for $90 about 6 months ago and it still works great. I never heard of macmall.com, but if you're willing to wait 10 weeks for a $10 rebate, go for it. Otherwise, I'd go with newegg.

Yeah, I want something with eSata and 1TB, those are my "wants". There are two drives basically, one has a $20 rebate, the other does not.

These are the two: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16822204079,N82E16822204083

The GreenDrive two comes with a eSata cable ($5-$7 value) and NTI Shadow4 software (which appears to be a nice backup solution).

Any opinions? I was going to get Seagate, but reviews were horrible for the new freeagent drive.

Whatever you do don't buy a Western Digital My Book. They are the absolute worst. The WD Passport drives are beautiful. I don't know why the small USB drive work so well and the Big drive are so horrible. I've had like 5 of those things go bad on me in less then a year. I had a client who kept buying them. He tried going to different retailers and has even have had different sizes. Always the same result. I tried buying one for myself just to test out what was going wrong. I had a 1TB USB drive and it died in under a month.

I found a wd elements 750gb hdd@Target for $75. I'm hoping to be able to find it for $50 and return the one I got. So YMMV on this one but I found the same drive at 3 different local Targets for the same price.

I'll stop at Target today. I'm looking to get a 1TB, but 750 would suffice. It seems like most of these large drives are prone to failure though....the Fantom got great reviews, but I believe it's just a Western Digital drive in their case. The new Seagate is getting horrid reviews, so I am hesitant to buy that, even with CostCo's great sale (and it's not eSata).

bread's done
Back