Need a 120 gb Hard Drive, cheap.

Requiem

CAGiversary!
I know there have been threads on hard drives, but I need an updated list of good deals.

Also, a query. Is it possible to use a 160 gb hard drive for modding an Xbox, or is 120 gb the max it will go? I see a nice 160 gb Maxtor one on sale at outpost.com. SHould I get this one?

If not, where are the current $59.99/120 gb hard drive deals I hear about but never see? Thanks.

i have that 160 one for my ps2 and its works great..anywayz yea i pretty much payed the same price for it and it was a good deal...

dunno about the xbox thing though

[quote name='Moxio']I thought the Xbox's max was like 130 or something, but I'm not sure.[/quote]

137, if it's got the same limitation as WinXP did (before the service pack).

The drive partition size limit of the platform doesn't matter. (This is usually based on the ATA100 spec. ATA133 allows for massively larger partitions but is too new for the current consoles.) At worst you'll have a maximum sized partition and the rest will be unusable but it will still function just fine. The more sophisticated Xbox mods and apps understand multiple partitions but the current PS2 stuff, particularly HDLoader and its successor, do not.

Still, using a 160 GB drive instead of a 120 GB drive will give you about 10 GB greater usable area. If the price is nearly identical an additional 10 GB is quite worth having.

Fry's B&M has had the Maxtor 160 GB units at $70 often in their recent ads.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Moxio']I thought the Xbox's max was like 130 or something, but I'm not sure.[/quote]

137, if it's got the same limitation as WinXP did (before the service pack).[/quote]

This isn't an operating system issue. It's a result of hardware and BIOS issues. Due to the number of bits set aside for the drive size value under the ATA100 standard 137 GB is the maximum partition size such a system can recognize. Larger drives can still be easily used in multiple partitions. Using a newer motherboard or controller card with ATA133 you can get much larger partitions on Windows 2000 and all existing versions of XP.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Moxio']I thought the Xbox's max was like 130 or something, but I'm not sure.[/quote]

137, if it's got the same limitation as WinXP did (before the service pack).[/quote]

This isn't an operating system issue. It's a result of hardware and BIOS issues. Due to the number of bits set aside for the drive size value under the ATA100 standard 137 GB is the maximum partition size such a system can recognize. Larger drives can still be easily used in multiple partitions. Using a newer motherboard or controller card with ATA133 you can get much larger partitions on Windows 2000 and all existing versions of XP.[/quote]

The whole boring history: http://www.48bitlba.com/

There's tons of these HD deals at Fry's, BB, and CC. Check your papers for a $59.99 120 GB HD. As everyone said, there's some 137 GB limit, so there's no point in taking a risk in puting a 160, only to find it doesn't work. 120 should be enough.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Moxio']I thought the Xbox's max was like 130 or something, but I'm not sure.[/quote]

So if I have Service Pack 1 installed Windows will see drives bigger then 137 GB as the correct size?

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Moxio']I thought the Xbox's max was like 130 or something, but I'm not sure.[/quote]

So if I have Service Pack 1 installed Windows will see drives bigger then 137 GB as the correct size?[/quote]

And a motherboard capable of reading it too.

bread's done
Back