Need a Cheap Set of Golf Clubs

[quote name='scuba t']Anybody know of a good set under $200.
Otherwise I'll probably go check out local thrift stores.[/QUOTE]

Nearly every thrift store I've been to always has a set of golf clubs. Yard/Garage sales are always a good place to look as well, but involve a little more time. My brother bought a fantastic set of modified irons for only about $20 this past summer at a random yard sell.

Dicks sporting goods has house brand sets for under 200. They are pretty good, and if you break them, you can exchange them in the store.

What do you mean by a set...iron set or everything.
Don't go to a sporting goods store and buy an all-in-one (woods, irons, putter, bag) set because they are all crap. If you are starting out make sure what ever you get is regular flex, it will help you get the ball in the air.
If you are playing with more experienced people ask them for advice and see if they have some old clubs you can hit. Most of us golf nuts have tons of old equipment you should be able to get an old putter (putter technology hasn't changed an old one is fine) and maybe a 3 wood from someone. Don't buy a driver right away, use a 3 wood you will hit it straighter and miss hit it less often.

Try rockbottomgolf.com they always have so pro-line-ish iron sets for under $200

http://rockbottomgolf.com/wilson-golf-deep-red-hybrid-irons-set.html

Those aren't terrible and you would be getting something new and easy to hit.
If you go to a thrift store or garage sale 99% of the time you will find ancient crap that isn't worth the metal its made from.

Try dealadaygolf.com they usually have a little more expensive equipment but if you have time check in with them for a while and see what they have.

Bigtymer I'm looking for a complete set? One with drivers, wedges, irons, and a putter. Yes, I am a newb to golf. I got to find out a way to get rid of this awful slice every time I drive the ball. The people I play with are experienced and say it's because my backswing and followthrough is aren't even.

Lobstah I live in Blount county so I'll probably be checking out the thrift stores in your neighborhood soon if I can't find any.
Which ones had the best lol?

Dick's Sporting Goods has good prices on their sets. I myself, bought I believe a 17 piece set for $199.99. Their very nice for the price. The brand is Acuity, which isn't bad at all. Check out their site, you will see some good sets; even try at the stores, some have indoor mini range to try them out.

[quote name='scuba t']Bigtymer I'm looking for a complete set? One with drivers, wedges, irons, and a putter. Yes, I am a newb to golf. I got to find out a way to get rid of this awful slice every time I drive the ball. The people I play with are experienced and say it's because my backswing and followthrough is aren't even.

Lobstah I live in Blount county so I'll probably be checking out the thrift stores in your neighborhood soon if I can't find any.
Which ones had the best lol?[/QUOTE]

Alabama Thrift Stores usually had the best selection (I think they're called America's Thrift Store now?). I believe there's one or two somewhere in north Jefferson closer to where you are. You could try a few of the Salvation Army stores, but I've never really been impressed by any of them as most of the stores were fairly small.

I really do think you should try yard sales. You can find some good clubs, you just might have to hit up 20 or so houses before you find something good.

I just thought that pawn shops might have clubs, but it's been a while since I've been to one so I'm not 100% sure.

bread's done
Back