Need a decent 5.1 (or 7.1) audio receiver for under $200

norkusa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I've been putting off buying a new receiver for months, but my 14 year old POS Technics 5.0 receiver is literally on its last legs. Rear speakers constantly cut off and now the left-front speaker doesn't even work at all.

Looking for a good 5.1 or 7.1 receiver for under $200. So far, these are the best deals I could find. My top pick is this first one (Panasonic SA-XR55) but it's out of stock at the moment and I can't find any other places online that sell it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...252855?ie=UTF8&m=A2A0CZG0007A9F&s=electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-5...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196643919&sr=8-1

Really? Everyone on the AVS forum raves about that Panasonic receiver. And it's 7.1 too. But like I said, I don't know much about Pioneer's.

[quote name='norkusa']Really? Everyone on the AVS forum raves about that Panasonic receiver. And it's 7.1 too. But like I said, I don't know much about Pioneer's.[/QUOTE]

Where is your setup going to be? A living room or bedroom? 7.1 is overrated if you ask me unless you have a big enough room to be able to distinguish the sounds. I have a 5.1 setup in my bedroom that's great.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Where is your setup going to be? A living room or bedroom? 7.1 is overrated if you ask me unless you have a big enough room to be able to distinguish the sounds. I have a 5.1 setup in my bedroom that's great.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, 7.1 is almost impossible to notice in smaller rooms but great for larger rooms.

As for the receiver itself, I'd vote the Panasonic over Pioneer. Pioneer's entry models aren't that great (their Elites are fantastic though they cost $700+). But I'd vote Onkyo refurb (or a new one if you're paranoid) for anything else in mid/entry range (can't speak for too many high end models).

I know a lot of people see us Onkyo fanboys always recommend it whenever possible but- truth be told, for the price you won't get any better. You can check the AVS forums on that.

I had their TX SR504 which I got for $130 from them which was a fantastic deal (but sadly, they no longer have it any more). I replaced that with one of their HTIB a few months after since it was another great deal ($330 for the HT S790, better receivers, 7 speakers and a subwoofer) and sold the TX SR504 for $190.:D

Hope you haven't bought it from Amazon yet.

http://www.shoponkyo.com/

After registering an account, you can get a refurbished unit for $99 - $10 (from points for signing up) - $10 (10% off all refurb units automatically redeemed at checkout) = $80 + shipping

I just did this and got it for $85 shipped.

Enjoy

I have a question. I'm running my 360 and my dish receiver via HDMI to my tv. If I bought one of these home theater receivers would I be able to get 5.1 somehow still? Is it doable?

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I have a question. I'm running my 360 and my dish receiver via HDMI to my tv. If I bought one of these home theater receivers would I be able to get 5.1 somehow still? Is it doable?[/QUOTE]
You should be able to. I'm not sure if the HDMI 360s have an optical port built in or not (the older 360s have them built into their composite/component cable) but if it does all you need to do is hook your 360 up to your television via hdmi and also up to your receiver via the optical cable. It should be about the same for your dish receiver.

If the 360 doesn't have an optical or coaxial port then you would have to buy a more expensive receiver with HDMI in/out and audio processing (as opposed to pass-through).

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I have a question. I'm running my 360 and my dish receiver via HDMI to my tv. If I bought one of these home theater receivers would I be able to get 5.1 somehow still? Is it doable?[/quote]

It depends on if you want HDMI audio or not.
HDMI audio works for recievers that can support it.
None of those POS recievers will do that.

Be a man and get an Onkyo 605.

You will thank me later.

bread's done
Back