Need a Desktop PC for normal use + running Diablo 3

cg1407

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Hey Guys,

I'm not the most computer savvy person out there so building isn't really an option for me. I was looking for some advice on a lower cost machine that would be doing very basic PC things like housing iTunes, surfing the internet, paying bills, etc, but with the one exception of it being able to run Diablo 3. I wouldn't be looking for max settings our anything just running it decently. The other need would be a 1TB (or bigger HD). Any suggestions or advice in the $400-$650 range would be appreciated. Thanks!

Think this would work? $429 on newegg:

HP Pavilion p6-2100 (QW795AA#ABA) Desktop PC A4-Series APU A4-3420(2.8Hz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity AMD Radeon HD 6410D Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

General SpecBrandHPSeriesPavilionModelp6-2100 (QW795AA#ABA)TypeHome / Home OfficeProcessorAMD A4-3420 APU 2.8GHzProcessor Main Features64 bit Dual Core ProcessorCache Per Processor1MB L2 CacheMemory4GB DDR3 1333Hard Drive1TB 7200RPM SATA IIOptical Drive 1SuperMulti DVD BurnerGraphicsAMD Radeon HD 6410DAudioSound card - IntegratedEthernetGigabit EthernetWireless Card802.11b/g/n Wireless LANSpeakerHP USB optical mouseKeyboardHP USB keyboardOperating SystemWindows 7 Home Premium 64-bitMotherboardChipsetAMD Hudson-D2CPUCPU TypeA4-Series APUCPU SpeedA4-3420(2.8Hz)L2 Cache Per CPU1MBCPU Socket TypeFM1CPU Main Features64 bit Dual Core ProcessorGraphicsGPU/VPU TypeAMD Radeon HD 6410DGraphics InterfaceIntegrated videoMemoryMemory Capacity4GB DDR3Memory SpeedDDR3 1333Form FactorDIMM 240-pinMemory Spec4GB x 1Memory Slot (Total)2Memory Slot (Available)1Maximum Memory Supported8GBHard DriveHDD Capacity1TBHDD InterfaceSATA IIHDD RPM7200rpmOptical DriveOptical Drive TypeDVD Super MultiOptical Drive SpecSuperMulti DVD Burner
- Write: 16x max DVD±R, 12x max DVD±R DL, 8x max DVD+RW, 6x max DVD-RW, 12x max DVD-RAM, 40x max CD-R, 32x max CD-RW
- Read: 16x max DVD-ROM, 40x max CD-ROMAudioAudio ChipsetIntegratedCommunicationsLAN ChipsetIntegratedLAN Speed10/100/1000MbpsWLAN802.11b/g/n Wireless LANFront Panel PortsFront USB2 x USB 2.0Front Audio Ports2Card Reader6-in-1 memory card readerBack Panel PortsVideo Ports1 VGA, 1 DVIRear USB4 x USB 2.0RJ451 portRear Audio Ports3 portsExpansionExternal Bays1 external 5.25" (occupied)Internal Bays1 internal 3.5" (occupied)PCI Slots (Available/Total)3 PCI Express x1 (three available)
1 PCI Express x16 (available)
1 MiniCard (occupied)MouseMouse TypeUSB MouseKeyboardKeyboard TypeUSB KeyboardPhysical SpecDimensions14.8" x 6.5" x 15.31"Weight15.83 lbs.

Or this? Pretty sure this one is better: $559 on newegg

Gateway DX Series DX4350-UR21P (PT.GBYP2.003) Desktop PC Phenom II X6 1065T(2.9GHz) 6GB DDR3 1.5TB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 4250 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

General SpecBrandGatewaySeriesDX SeriesModelDX4350-UR21P (PT.GBYP2.003)TypeHome / Home OfficeForm FactorMicro TowerProcessorAMD Phenom II X6 1065T 2.9GHzProcessor Main Features64 bit Six-Core ProcessorCache Per Processor6 x 512KB L2 Cache
6MB L3 CacheMemory6GB DDR3 1333MHzHard Drive1.5TB SATA Green Product - variable RPMOptical Drive 116X DVD±R/RW SuperMulti DriveGraphicsIntegrated ATI Radeon HD 4250 GraphicsAudioSound card - IntegratedEthernetGigabit EthernetWireless Card802.11b/g/n WirelessPower Supply300WKeyboardGateway USB KeyboardMouseGateway USB Optical MouseOperating SystemWindows 7 Home Premium 64-bitSpecial FeaturesDesigned for power and productivity, sleek and stylish micro-tower PCMotherboardChipsetAMD 880GCPUCPU TypePhenom II X6Installed Qty1CPU Speed1065T(2.9GHz)L2 Cache Per CPU6 x 512KBL3 Cache Per CPU6MBCPU Socket TypeAM3CPU Main Features64 bit Six-Core Processor
TurboCore Technology up to 3.4GHzGraphicsGPU/VPU TypeATI Radeon HD 4250Graphics InterfaceIntegrated videoMemoryMemory Capacity6GB DDR3Memory SpeedDDR3 1333Form FactorDIMM 240-pinMemory Spec2GB x 3Memory Slot (Total)4Memory Slot (Available)1Hard DriveHDD Capacity1.5TBHDD InterfaceSATAOptical DriveOptical Drive TypeDVD Super MultiOptical Drive Spec16X DVD±R/RW SuperMulti DriveAudioAudio ChipsetIntegratedAudio Channels5.1 channelAudio FeaturesHigh-Definition Audio Surround Sound SupportCommunicationsLAN ChipsetIntegratedLAN Speed10/100/1000MbpsWLAN802.11b/g/n Wireless LANFront Panel PortsFront USB4Front Audio Ports2Card ReaderMulti-in-One Digital Media Card Reader

Supports CompactFlash (Type I and II), CF+ Microdrive, Secure Digital (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC), Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC), xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PROBack Panel PortsPS/22Video Ports1 VGA, 1 HDMIRear USB6RJ451 portRear Audio Ports3 portsExpansionExternal Bays1/2 - 5.25" ODDInternal Bays1/2 - 3.5" HDDPCI Slots (Available/Total)1/1 - PCI
1/2 - PCI-E x1
1/1 - PCI-E x16MouseMouse TypeUSB MouseKeyboardKeyboard TypeUSB KeyboardPhysical SpecDimensions15.07" x 7.09" x 14.21"Weight23 lbs

[quote name='cg1407']I wouldn't be looking for max settings our anything just running it decently. The other need would be a 1TB (or bigger HD).[/QUOTE]

Most pre-assembled desktop computers have integrated graphic chips which equates to crappy performance in relation to video gaming. Your best bet if you decide to buy a pre-assembled desktop computer (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.) would be to get one that has a good processor, and install a graphics card. I know you said you're not particularly tech savvy, but installing a graphics card isn't all that hard. It's pretty damn easy in fact. In addition to adding a graphics card you may need to also replace the stock power supply since most are rated at 300W which isn't nearly sufficient enough for most graphic cards. I would suggest buying a Nvidia gtx 460 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, neither of which are overkill by any means, but is still sufficient enough to play most games on at least medium if not high. In terms of power supplies I would get one that is rated at at least 600W, and I would highly suggest getting one that is modular. Just make sure it has about the same dimensions (WxHxL) as the power supply you will be replacing.

This may sound daunting, but it pays off in the end. If you take this route, I would highly suggest taking pictures of the inside of your desktop computer before doing anything so that you know where to connect each of the cables and connectors. Also make sure to ground yourself electrically (google it) before touching anything on the inside of your desktop so as not to fry any of the components. Take your time and you should be golden.

You say that you only want the game to run "decently", but take my advice and invest in a good graphics card and you'll appreciate it. There's nothing as bad as playing a game on low settings and seeing it chug along and 5-10 frames per second. It kills the gaming experience and nobody wants that.

Here is a chart (somewhat out of date) that ranks different graphics cards from best (top of the list) to worst (bottom of the list)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964-7.html

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. This sounds a little daunting. Would some of the preconstructed computers on newegg that are "gaming rigs" be any good? A lot of them are getting pretty mixed reviews about even being functional.

Generally speaking, if you have a budget and the basic idea for the type of computer you want to build, the only difficult part about building your own computer is choosing the motherboard. If you're willing to invest the time and effort you should google some tutorials and find out for yourself how easy it actually is.

It is in fact super easy! And you can probably build something very nice for the budget you are talking about.

I'm no longer good at picking parts (haven't looked at anything since I built my PC 3 years ago) but if you have any questions about the actual building let me know!

bread's done
Back