Need a Dreamcast ZIP drive? Only $10,000.

dallow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250163670619

DreamcastZipDrive.jpg

Leave it to Dreamcast to start up even more things that become a standard in today's gaming even without bringing it out. One step ahead before Microsoft decided Xbox would have a harddrive built in.

If that's the only prototype available, like he says, then I'd be amazed to know how the hell he got that.

[quote name='Tsukento']Leave it to Dreamcast to start up even more things that become a standard in today's gaming even without bringing it out. One step ahead before Microsoft decided Xbox would have a harddrive built in.

If that's the only prototype available, like he says, then I'd be amazed to know how the hell he got that.[/quote]Read the questions below. He worked for Iomega on the project making this.

Probably not worth $10,000, but it is worth a small fortune.

The better question is if it has ANY sort of benefits that work. The seller does not even seem to know of any.

Still, a 1 of 1 type prototype like that for unreleased hardware? kinda priceless in its own way. Not sure if is $10,000 priceless though, lol.

only $10,000? Yet shipping is a modest $8! what a deal? I notice he is from riverton utah. He must have worked at the Iomega complex down the street from me in Roy. That place is sure a ghost town these days. I think they still own it because they have there logo out front but the place always looks deserted.

I imagine it was developed for use with the web browser/downloadable content in mind. The dreamcast was so ahead of its time.

[quote name='Tsukento']Seems more like it was developed for games with bigger save files since VMUs ended up getting full so damn quickly.[/QUOTE]

I'll say... I remember when I got my DC on launch day. I picked up Soul Caliber and NBA 2K with 1 VMU. Needless to say, I couldn't save both on one VMU (I think NBA2K took up 196 blocks leaving 4 left- not enough for SC). I think over the span of a year, I had 10 6 DC games and 4 VMUs.:lol:

Ah... those were the days... back when systems used memory cards.

BTW, a zip drive? Zip drives were such shit. Slow, expensive, and lacking in space when compared to CDs.

[quote name='Vinny']BTW, a zip drive? Zip drives were such shit. Slow, expensive, and lacking in space when compared to CDs.[/quote] Perhaps, but you gotta remember the time this was being developed. This was before anyone thought of slapping a hard drive into a console. Plus this was back when zip discs were replacing floppy discs, before in turn being replaced by burned CDs.

Just about everything Sega made was ahead of its time.

Yeah...if this had some sort of use I bet someone would buy it, but there is absolutely nothing you can do with it apparently.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah...if this had some sort of use I bet someone would buy it, but there is absolutely nothing you can do with it apparently.[/quote]
Well that's alie :p Go to a Dremacast homebrew forum they are planning on getting it(well maybe) making more so they could use it as a hard drive for the dreamcast.

Its like the 64DD, except Nintendo actually made a few of those. If I had money to throw away, you bet your ass I'd buy that! But of course, I'm a Dreamcast-a-holic.

[quote name='masterofdarkness']Well that's alie :p Go to a Dremacast homebrew forum they are planning on getting it(well maybe) making more so they could use it as a hard drive for the dreamcast.[/QUOTE]

They need to figure out how to make a cheap 3rd party Broadband adapter .

Nice thread , I have all of the ODC magazines I remember reading about this somewhere .

[quote name='Richlough']They need to figure out how to make a cheap 3rd party Broadband adapter .

Nice thread , I have all of the ODC magazines I remember reading about this somewhere .[/quote]THIS IS TRUE!

Hehe, still looking for a BBA for mine.

OH MAN, I wanted a BBA so bad, and it was on backorder from the Sega.com store FOREVER, and then the Dreamcast got executed. Damn, I wanted so dearly to play PSO with broadband speeds!

[quote name='Vinny']I think over the span of a year, I had 10 6 DC games and 4 VMUs.:lol: [/quote]

Yeah, 10-4 there, buddy.:D

[quote name='banpeikun']please post this in the video game deals forum[/quote]
Auction already ended. ;) Someone won with a $1k bid.

US $1,631.02

"
The original purpose of the extension box was to save game scores to the Zip media and load additional players characters into the Dreamcast games. This is a rare collectible item for the serious gamer connoisseur. "

Thats it , please. For the sound of that, should be free.

that is a sick prototype. i would have loved to buy it. if i was the owner of this i probably would not have sold it for that much..

[quote name='Vega$']US $1,631.02

"
The original purpose of the extension box was to save game scores to the Zip media and load additional players characters into the Dreamcast games. This is a rare collectible item for the serious gamer connoisseur. "

Thats it , please. For the sound of that, should be free.
[/quote]
It means that the intension of the Zip Drive was to be a bigger VMU. That's what eventually became the Xbox's harddrive and somewhat of a standard in consoles today.

How did that not meet the reserve...how much was this douche expecting for a useless, outdated storage format on an outdated console? I'd be happy as hell to sell something I got for free for a grand.

Well he did ask for $10k at first. I'd have settled for $1k, though I'm sure a one-of-a-kind prototype is really worth quite a bit.

bread's done
Back