Need a elliptical machine?

train789

CAGiversary!
Hey gang... Does any one have any info on elliptical machines and where to look for them ? Also Where I would be able to get one CHEAP ? ? ? ? Thanks.

Unsolicited advice: use the resistance button on any machine you get. The people I see at the gym who look the same as they did six months ago persistently use the elliptical with no resistance (which you can easily tell, as their feet are flyin' while mine are trudging along slowly).

Nordictrack is a good brand, but I'm not too knowledgable on the price of those goods. Would you prefer one in your home, or would you rather join a gym (which, at between $30-40/month, would be cheaper over one year than a $700 elliptical, and offer you more options - but not without the cons, of course)?

[quote name='mykevermin']Unsolicited advice: use the resistance button on any machine you get. The people I see at the gym who look the same as they did six months ago persistently use the elliptical with no resistance (which you can easily tell, as their feet are flyin' while mine are trudging along slowly).

Nordictrack is a good brand, but I'm not too knowledgable on the price of those goods. Would you prefer one in your home, or would you rather join a gym (which, at between $30-40/month, would be cheaper over one year than a $700 elliptical, and offer you more options - but not without the cons, of course)?[/QUOTE]

The nordictrack got pretty good reviews, but yeah, its the best of the cheapies. If you have the money it sounds like procore is the way to go. Of course, going to the gym would be the best, but that adds a lot of time to dedicate to working out.

[quote name='mykevermin']Unsolicited advice: use the resistance button on any machine you get. The people I see at the gym who look the same as they did six months ago persistently use the elliptical with no resistance (which you can easily tell, as their feet are flyin' while mine are trudging along slowly).

Nordictrack is a good brand, but I'm not too knowledgable on the price of those goods. Would you prefer one in your home, or would you rather join a gym (which, at between $30-40/month, would be cheaper over one year than a $700 elliptical, and offer you more options - but not without the cons, of course)?[/QUOTE]

Might just be me but gyms creep the fuck out of me.... Its not that Iam lazy and dddt wana work out, its tha I hate seing old people with droopy skin excersize. Im glad I have a treadmil at home and a bunch of free weights to keep active. On a semi related note, does anyone know if those ab lounge chairs are actualy helpful... or is it just a fancy contraption that you could do without and just do situps on your own?

[quote name='BasketCase1080']Might just be me but gyms creep the fuck out of me.... Its not that Iam lazy and dddt wana work out, its tha I hate seing old people with droopy skin excersize. Im glad I have a treadmil at home and a bunch of free weights to keep active. On a semi related note, does anyone know if those ab lounge chairs are actualy helpful... or is it just a fancy contraption that you could do without and just do situps on your own?[/QUOTE]

sit ups are bad for form, you should be doing crunches, it's less defining and works your abs and lower back more (I suggest a 25 pound weight on your chest when you have done them for a bit)

If you buy from Sears, etc, I HIGHLY recommend bargaining with the sales guy. You'd be amazed how much they can come off the price on that high-end merchandise (NEVER buy a TV at full price).

Also, it's Friday. At least give the Garage Sales one shot. I see that stuff every single time I go garage saling. I was just talking about this last night with some guys I'm in a Bible Study with. One guy was complaining about how his wife bought an eliptical machine despite his protest. She used it for a week (just like everyone else) and hasn't used it since. I have seen SO many things like this at garage sales.

[quote name='jennie25']sit ups are bad for form, you should be doing crunches, it's less defining and works your abs and lower back more (I suggest a 25 pound weight on your chest when you have done them for a bit)[/QUOTE]

sorry, but I need some clarification... Is a crunch just a situp with your knees lifted off the ground and brought in close to your chest?

Just saw in the paper that all fitness equipment is 10% off before noon on Saturday. Might be your chance to get a deal. Does anyone know if sears will do their 30 price guarantee on this sale?

All i know is that if you're going to buy one, buy a GOOD one. Don't even bother with one from any store that ends in -mart, they'll just break on you.

[quote name='briansraregames']All i know is that if you're going to buy one, buy a GOOD one. Don't even bother with one from any store that ends in -mart, they'll just break on you.[/QUOTE]

exactly. PRetty sure we bought ours from the fitness experience. It was a nice little place by the mall that had quality reasonable treadmills. They were real easy to work with. We were about to leave and say we'd be back to make an order on one and they gave us a free pad to go underneath (100 dollar value) and some nice nalgene bottles. It was a pleasant experience, so Id suggest them if theres one in your neck of the woods.

Be advised that if any part on your NordicTrack elliptical breaks, you'll pay through the nose to get replacement parts. I have what I'm guessing is the step down from from the piece linked earlier in the thread. I've had it for probably three and half years. But, honestly, it's only had about one and a half years or regular use. I've had to replace two wheels to the tune of $70 a shot and the weld on the flywheel support broke a few months ago. I think it's basically unfixable now. I'm riding it until it really breaks and switching to a gym membership.

[quote name='Lew Zealand']Be advised that if any part on your NordicTrack elliptical breaks, you'll pay through the nose to get replacement parts. I have what I'm guessing is the step down from from the piece linked earlier in the thread. I've had it for probably three and half years. But, honestly, it's only had about one and a half years or regular use. I've had to replace two wheels to the tune of $70 a shot and the weld on the flywheel support broke a few months ago. I think it's basically unfixable now. I'm riding it until it really breaks and switching to a gym membership.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Ive heard thats the case with most ellipiticals and treadmills, not just nordic trac. Thats why I picked up the 4 year service warranty. 120$ for four years is pretty good.

My wife has had her elliptical for several months. Couple of things after reading these posts :
1. Don't expect any machine you don't pay at least $1500 for to last for longer than 2 years if usage will be daily or every other day. They are built to break ( kind of like cars )
2. Weight of the user will have a huge impact on the longevity of the unit.
3. Get one with the flywheel in the back.
4. Dick's sporting goods has some unique ones for a bit more but they are smaller than the rest.
5. Adjustable pedals and stride need to be right.
6. And lastly, most of the nordictraks,ironmans,pro-form, are all the same company, so i would advise sam's club. I bought my wifes for $200 less than the same model at sears and dicks sports. Hope that helps !

bread's done
Back