Need a experienced opinion about my xbox360

haize

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok, first of all im writing this as a new thread because my xbox360 doesnt exacly have a RROD, it has a DVD-drive problem, and i need some advice from a knowledgble CAGer!!

I bought my xbox360 pro on Dec 15, 2008 and it manufacture date is Sept 03, 2008. Its still under the one year warranty.

Its giving me problems reading discs. Games will freeze during gameplay sometimes and i have to reset the system. Games stutter badly during cinematic sequences too. I seemed to have fixed this problem by installing games to the HD, and when i play from the HD i dont have those problems anymore, so im pretty sure its a problem with the DVD-drive reading ability.

Sometimes when i put game discs in the system it will not recognize that there is a game in the drive, it just says "open tray". I have to open/close the tray multiple times to get the 360 to read the disk, and it will often read the game disc as a DVD or "mixed media disc" before i can get it to eventually get it to recognze the disc as a game. All of my games are retail copies and in mint condition, so im sure that this is no due to a dirty disc.

Recently i got my first red light error. 2 days ago the lower right light came up red with error message E66. I looked the error up and it says it a DVD-drive hardware problem that normally deals with incorrect firmware versions in flashed 360s. This confuses the hell outta me because my 360 is unmodded, i've never even removed the faceplate, and i bought it new.

I havent been able to get the 360 to reproduce the E66 error except for that one time, but it still continues to struggle reading discs and sometimes makes a light repeating "ticking" noise when it cant seem to read the disc in the drive.

My question and help topic for you experienced and helpful CAGs, is what should i do? I talked to an outsourced foreign customer service rep and she just said it needed repair, to print the shipping label online and it would take upto 4 weeks. 4 weeks! thats soo long to not have my 360!

Has anyone else had this disc read error and they can give me some advice on how they resolved it? Should i do the advanced console exchange program where they send me a refurbished one and i send in my old one with the refurbished ones box? Im worried ill get a refurbished 360 with an older manufacture date (prone to the overheating problem) and without an HDMI port.

Plz help, i have a 300 point MS code for a person who can steer me towards making the best decisions in diagnosing and getting a properly working 360 again.*

*the code will be at my discretion to whoever i find most helpful*

just send it to ms. whats the problem. in reality, it doesnt take 4 weeks, it took 10 day from shipping to getting it back to my doorstep.

^^^ the time will pass quickly. I sent it late Monday afternoon and I got an e-mail this morning that it has already been received, fixed and sent. I have the tracking number so just waiting on it now. So definitely would not take 4 weeks. Turn around seems to be pretty fast. Since it is not E-74 or the RRoD I say send it in for repair now since it still is under the normal warranty.

Play any of your other consoles or hand helds, if not, find something good to watch or just go out for a bit. I do miss being able to play games or watch netflix through the 360 but I'll live with it.

Since it's still under warranty, your best bet is to call MS and print the label to ship it back to them. If you wait until the warranty expires, I think it costs around $120 for them to replace the drive.

It most likely won't take 4 weeks for you to get the system back, that's a worse-case scenario. It will probably be around 2. It's worth it not to have it for whatever the period given how much trouble it's giving you and the fact that your warranty expires soon and you don't want to have to pay to fix this when MS will replace it free as of now.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']Play any of your other consoles or hand helds, if not, find something good to watch or just go out for a bit. I do miss being able to play games or watch netflix through the 360 but I'll live with it.[/QUOTE]

Well i guess i have Crysis:Warhead (PC), Resident Evil 4 (Wii) and Fallout 3 (PC) to play while i wait.

My main concern too is how reliable is MS in fixing it? Think they will install a new DVD-drive? What if they cant replicate a E66 error or the game disc they use just happens to be one of the few times the drive reads correctly. I dont want them to just clean the lens and send it back. I mean i read all the horror stories about people having to send in their 360s multiple times...

and when you have sent in your 360 did you get back your same one?

Only read the top half of it and can already tell you to send it in for repairs. My first 360 had this same problem and it was luckily under warranty still as well. The issues you are having now will just end up leading to an error causing the system to fail, so it is better to get the system fixed now while it still under warranty.

Edit: The first one I received back was a different console (different serial #), but they would be able to fix the problem. Many people have disc drive failures, it is just not nearly as common as the RRoD or E74 errors.

I've had the problem where the my 360 wouldn't recognize that there's a disc in the try and just says "open tray" and I'd have to open and close it over and over until it eventually read the disc. It happened on my first 360. Instead of paying $100 to do an out of warranty repair, I bought an Elite cause I was thinking of buying a 120gb anyway and I needed a new controller and it was boxing day. Then it happened on my Elite a few months later. Then I was going to just do the open/close tray thing on my old 360 while I sent my Elite away but then I found my first 360 now read discs perfectly. I thought that was weird. I hadn't sent my Elite away yet so I unplugged it, picked it up and shook it vigorously. And now it works perfectly again >_>. Now I have 2 working 360s for no reason. As strange as it sounds, take out any discs, unplug your 360 and shake it.

Last time I sent my 360 in it took 9 days from when I shipped it to get it back. NO MATTER WHAT is wrong with it, tell them you have RRoD. This is what I did with an E74 error out of warranty and they fixed my unit no questions asked. This is your best bet since you are WELL within the 3 yr warranty and it is such a widespread problem that once you say RRoD they just email you the shipping label.

[quote name='bs000']I've had the problem where the my 360 wouldn't recognize that there's a disc in the try and just says "open tray" and I'd have to open and close it over and over until it eventually read the disc. It happened on my first 360. Instead of paying $100 to do an out of warranty repair, I bought an Elite cause I was thinking of buying a 120gb anyway and I needed a new controller and it was boxing day. Then it happened on my Elite a few months later. Then I was going to just do the open/close tray thing on my old 360 while I sent my Elite away but then I found my first 360 now read discs perfectly. I thought that was weird. I hadn't sent my Elite away yet so I unplugged it, picked it up and shook it vigorously. And now it works perfectly again >_>. Now I have 2 working 360s for no reason. As strange as it sounds, take out any discs, unplug your 360 and shake it.[/QUOTE]

i appreciate the whole shaking my 360 vigorously suggestion, but i have decided that im just gonna send it out on monday since i got a e66 error and i am under the one year all inclusive warranty. Most people are all telling me just send it in, that ill get it back probably within 10-12 days and its a dvd drive hardware problem that will get worse and worse.

If i wasnt under warranty, you can bet id be shaking it like a can of spray paint.

thanks

E66 is a dvd drive error, so it has apparently totally died.

E66: DVD Drive Error: DVD model, or version does not match that of the version expected by the dashboard. OR the firmware version on the drive is older than the firmware version expected by the dashboard. Make sure the DVD drive is of the same version originally included with the console and that it is using either the original firmware included with the console or newer.

I fix 360s constantly. I get a dvd drive off of ebay for real cheap and flash the proper key onto it. Easy fix.

RROD, well that takes a bit more effort, but its doable.

I guess if anyone needs help, shoot me a pm.

bread's done
Back