Need a Good deal on HDTVs.

Littlefields

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I'm looking for a small HDTV for my bedroom, 19-23." Something to replace my old 19" tube TV. Maybe bigger if it's cheap. I literally know nothing about HDTV's other than the difference between Plasma and LCD. I know nothing about Ratios/Lighting. So any type of help will be greatly appreciated. Of course I'm looking for a decent deal. I prefer brands that are reputable.

I'm currently looking at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNT23...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204434160&sr=8-1

Second that. I'm thinking of picking up a similar HDTV for my Dorm room so can play my 360 and Wii on a better TV

The samsung lcd you have linked looks good. The 32" model was given a great review @ cnet.com. Since you said you wanna stick with a brand name, it seems like this tv would be a good pick. Even if you have bad lighting in your room, the LCD should perform just fine...since its an LCD.

Contrast ratios are a way to say how dark the black vs the white pixels are. Here is an easy way to sorta think about contrast ratios and how it effects your viewing/tv.
pioneer-contrastconcept04.jpg

Its best to go to a B&M tvstore and look for yourself vs a comparable model. Then you decided which blacks look better or shadows. Dont be afraid to mess with the color settings, brightness, and backlighting on the tv as if you were at home. Like I said before the reviews from people who know a lot more about hdtvs then me, who are more anal about blacklevels and color balance, liked the tv.

Random tv babbling:
When talking about hdtv's that size 1080p isn't worth getting. 1080p is more noticeable on a larger panel and anything under 32" is pretty hard to say there is that noticeable of a difference.
Here is a chart of viewing distance vs panel size to help. From this article.

That being said the TV you picked out is 720p which is good because it cuts down on obvious costs. I personally enjoy cheap panels from Westinghouse or Vizio. Since they aren't a brand name you are able to get a larger display w/ warranty for around the same cost as a smaller brand named teley. When replacing a SDTV to an HDTV its always good to go slightly larger in size then what you had. The picture fills in better when its slightly larger in size. I am aware you already did that but just saying in general.

Enjoy your new teley.

I'd get the biggest you can fit/afford. if your coming from a 19" CRT, I'd get at least a 23" if not bigger (27" maybe)

it all depends on what you want to spend. but check newegg.com and tigerdirect.com

[quote name='naiku']The samsung lcd you have linked looks good. The 32" model was given a great review @ cnet.com. Since you said you wanna stick with a brand name, it seems like this tv would be a good pick. Even if you have bad lighting in your room, the LCD should perform just fine...since its an LCD.

Contrast ratios are a way to say how dark the black vs the white pixels are. Here is an easy way to sorta think about contrast ratios and how it effects your viewing/tv.
pioneer-contrastconcept04.jpg

Its best to go to a B&M tvstore and look for yourself vs a comparable model. Then you decided which blacks look better or shadows. Dont be afraid to mess with the color settings, brightness, and backlighting on the tv as if you were at home. Like I said before the reviews from people who know a lot more about hdtvs then me, who are more anal about blacklevels and color balance, liked the tv.

Random tv babbling:
When talking about hdtv's that size 1080p isn't worth getting. 1080p is more noticeable on a larger panel and anything under 32" is pretty hard to say there is that noticeable of a difference.
Here is a chart of viewing distance vs panel size to help. From this article.

That being said the TV you picked out is 720p which is good because it cuts down on obvious costs. I personally enjoy cheap panels from Westinghouse or Vizio. Since they aren't a brand name you are able to get a larger display w/ warranty for around the same cost as a smaller brand named teley. When replacing a SDTV to an HDTV its always good to go slightly larger in size then what you had. The picture fills in better when its slightly larger in size. I am aware you already did that but just saying in general.

Enjoy your new teley.[/quote]

Thanks so much. That post gave more information than a day of research. Really appreciate it guys.

Looks like the Samsung is the way to go? Any other suggestions are welcome. Always open to more suggestions. :D

Also of note. Panasonic, Sony and Samsung seem to be the top tier. Toshiba is right there though so don't overlook them. They put out some quality sets.

If you use that chart thats posted you may find that a 720P picture is enough and save some money over a similar sized 1080P capable display. The 720P will play the 1080P stuff just fine, it just wont be in 1080P. That argument can go on, but hey 1440P does exist so where do you draw the line? The big issue is cable and most video game systems only go up to 720P right now. It will be a long while until cable hits 1080P. Obviously movies is where you could want a 1080P set... again distance is all relative to what you pickup visually anyway.

Lastly remember these are widescreens and a 23" tube will still seem bigger than a 23" widescreen.

*edit,

I used 6thave.com to buy my TV. They have a few in your size/price/brand range.

26" Panasonic $548.
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PANTC26LX70

26" toshiba with built in DVD play (may be beneficial for your setup $642
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TOS26LV47

32" Toshiba $679
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TOS32AV500U

Also I got this in an email since i bought my last TV from them 6% off EML61034

No tax and they are reliable.

www.6ave.com

bread's done
Back