Need a hard drive migration kit? Click me.

JJSP

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
This seems to get asked a lot amongst newcomers to CAG as well as CAG's that have recently upgraded their hard drive outside of buying one at MSRP (be it eBay, Gamestop, or otherwise). I figured it'd be a help to those in need to make this available to anyone searching.

Anyhoo, Microsoft seems to have taken down the US version of their migration kit order form. The European version is still up, however, and the US version was uploaded to Slickdeals in a fillable PDF.

I uploaded the US version here --> http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tzjj3n1ryiw

Download it, fill it out, print it out, and fax it over to Microsoft (or mail it in). Where it asks for the Elite system's serial number, many CAG's (myself included) have had success by simply writing in "PURCHASED - AWAITING ARRIVAL".

There's simply no reason to pay eBay prices for something you're only going to use once. Chances are Microsoft will send you two anyways, allowing you to (potentially) make a profit off of someone else who didn't know any better.

NOTES

- Hard drive transfers only work when upgrading or replacing (ie - 20GB -> 20/60/120GB, 60GB -> 60GB/120GB, 120GB -> 120GB).

- It's all or nothing, and the drive you've transferred from is wiped clean.

- You'll likely have to transfer your DRM licenses on anything you've downloaded, which can be done from Xbox.

Thanks. I've been wanting to get a new HD and was worried about getting it used due to the trouble of getting a migration kit. This should help.

This is what I did when I bought a 120 hd early this year. After I transfered everything I sold it to some sucker on Ebay. :D

You don't even need the order form. Just call Microsoft, tell them that you bought a 60GB drive (the one without the transfer kit) and they will send you one for free.

I did this before I bought my 120GB drive since I was going to buy a used one off of Amazon. I decided to just buy a new one so now I have two kits - the one that came with the drive and the one MSoft sent me.

I'll be ebaying the kits soon.

Man, I wish I had known about this before spending $135 on a hard drive from Amazon, due to the ones on eBay not including a proper transfer cable.

Hmm I'll have to call them what do they ask you? I'm playing on getting one this morning because I'm out of room on my 60 gb but want to be able to transfer it as soon as possible.

Why would you use it to go from 20 to 20, 60 to 60 or 120 to 120? You can just move your hard drive.

[quote name='Ziv']Why would you use it to go from 20 to 20, 60 to 60 or 120 to 120? You can just move your hard drive.[/QUOTE]
Replacing a corrupt hard drive.

I have a question about this. I'm not able to do a licence transfer for about 6 more months. I'm planning on buying an Elite soon. Now, when I recover my profile on the new Elite, will I be able to play the content I've downloaded before? I know I'll be able to transfer the data from the old 20GB hard drive to the new 120GB hard drive. But I'm wondering if something will stop me from playing my arcade games and such.

Thanks for making this super easy with a fillable form!

Will this let you hook up your drive to your computer? I thought that wasn't possible with this cable (thru some fancy USB voodoo). Links would be great! Everything I find on Google is 2 years old and doesn't seem valid anymore...
I'd love to be able to back up some of my saves so I don't have to worry about my drive failing someday.

Heads up to all I just called 1-800-4my-xbox to get a cable and they are charging 13.99 for one. They claim it's because of all the ebay autions for them. I gave them a little crap about charging me for one and after a bit they decided to send me one for free. Just thought I'd let you guys know incase you go this route.

I had no luck getting a free one. They MS wanted $12.90 for one. I am still looking for maybe someone to let me borrow one cause I choose not to pay.

I called Microsoft and told them I just ordered a 60gb kit and needed the transfer cable. They asked me a few questions like my system serial number, but never asked anything about the hard drives except the sizes. They sent me one free and I had it about a week later.

I've never understood why people get so worried about having a transfer cable. When I upgraded to a (used) 120GB HDD, I just used a 512MB memory card to copy from the old HDD, then switched to the new HDD, and copied it all back. Granted, I had to repeat this a half-dozen times in order to move all my Rock Band songs and whatnot, but it really wasn't that hard. I did the same thing for a friend, but he didn't have much saved data, so it all fit on the card in one dose. The couple very large files I had (map packs) I just re-downloaded directly onto the new HDD. While the transfer cable may certainly make this process easier, it's not impossible, or even difficult, to do without one. And if you don't have a memory card, you can always take advantage of gamestop's 7-day return policy on used merchandise. Am I missing something here?

Note - yes, I did use the xbox.com migration utility as part of this process.

Yeah, I just called Xbox support and the lady prettymuch refused to give me one any less than 12 dollars, also refused to let me talk to her manager. If anyone has one I could use to get my rockband save over to my new system.

[quote name='oxidative']Thanks for making this super easy with a fillable form!

Will this let you hook up your drive to your computer? I thought that wasn't possible with this cable (thru some fancy USB voodoo). Links would be great! Everything I find on Google is 2 years old and doesn't seem valid anymore...
I'd love to be able to back up some of my saves so I don't have to worry about my drive failing someday.[/QUOTE]
xplorer360

Fingers crossed, how long does it take to receive confirmation? If I do get one I will post up if anyone wants so they can trade around here on CAG.

[quote name='AdamBomb629']I shouldn't need to transfer my licenses if I'm just copying hard drives and keeping the same console right?[/QUOTE]

No, I think that pretty much takes care of itself.

Has anyone figured out what is the waiting time to get a response from MS about the cable? Sucks having a 120hd but no cable to transfer my info.

[quote name='Shimrra']Has anyone figured out what is the waiting time to get a response from MS about the cable? Sucks having a 120hd but no cable to transfer my info.[/QUOTE]

They told me 2 weeks when I talked to them the other day.

Well after no response from faxing them my request I decided to call them up.

So I told them that I bought the 120hd from Best Buy and that it did not come with the transfer kit but with the headset instead. At first the woman on the phone told me that I had to go back to Best Buy and they will give me the transfer. I explained to her that information was incorrect and it was best Buy that told me to call MS for the kit. She put me on hold for a couple mins and came back and asked for my address. The only thing is that I have to wait 2 weeks for the cable but I don't mind it.

[quote name='Shimrra']Well after no response from faxing them my request I decided to call them up.

So I told them that I bought the 120hd from Best Buy and that it did not come with the transfer kit but with the headset instead. At first the woman on the phone told me that I had to go back to Best Buy and they will give me the transfer. I explained to her that information was incorrect and it was best Buy that told me to call MS for the kit. She put me on hold for a couple mins and came back and asked for my address. The only thing is that I have to wait 2 weeks for the cable but I don't mind it.[/QUOTE]

thanks, I am going to try this today

I called Microsoft today but the rep said they don't have it in stock right now so they can't send me the kit. The rep said I should call back in a few days. Anyone getting any luck with the migration kit lately?

bread's done
Back