Need a lil' tech support

kainzero

CAGiversary!
I bought a new motherboard/cpu/ram to fit in my old case...

However, when I plug everything in, it sounds like it boots and is constantly accessing the DVD drive which has an Ubuntu CD in it... but there is no video, and the keyboard plugged into it does not respond when I press Numlock/CapsLock/ScrollLock, and the mouse does not turn on its optical light. Also, to turn it off, I have to hold the power button down, which doesn't seem right if the board would not POST.

DOA board?
The power supply worked with the old mobo/cpu/ram, but the old mobo also did not require the 4-pin molex connection and had a 20-pin EATXPWR instead of the 24-pin.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Are all the drivers loaded?

Is your video connected to the on board video or some separate video card you have not installed yet?

I mean I'm assuming you got all the drivers loaded and going, but if not that is the first place I would check into.

The keys you're pressing won't work during POST. And mice don't work outside of an OS.

Try delete, escape and all the F keys.

I suspect your video card is dead or not connected properly. Some video cards need a direct connection to the power supply.

List your motherboard and power supply for us

@Actionhank: When I boot my other computer, the mouse powers on, although it doesn't work. Even so, if it is running Ubuntu LiveCD, the mouse should eventually power on.

Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Power Supply: Corsair 400W (The Mobo recommends 300W and there isn't anything plugged in besides RAM, a DVD drive, and a SATA HD).

@everyone else: I'm using the onboard video. I can't install drivers if I can't see anything on the screen. I've tested the onboard video with both DVI and VGA, although I have yet to try HDMI.

Considering buying a PC Speaker so I can hear if there are any beep codes, but I don't know where to buy those B&M since I don't want to wait for online deliveries.

double check every connection in your PC. Make sure the heatsink is properly seated on the CPU. Remove all unnecessary devices from the motherboard, like non-essential HDDs, extra optical drives, sound cards and other extraneous cards. Make sure only the mouse, keyboard, and monitor are plugged in. Use only 1 stick of RAM. Try using different brands of RAM, as some motherboards are incompatible with some RAM. Also, make sure the motherboard is properly secured to the case. Also, try a known-working PSU, or get a PSU tester to test the one you're using.

If you still don't have any luck, its either a bad motherboard or a bad CPU.

I don't know if it POSTs or not. I just know that nothing appears on the screen, but it would appear that something is loading.

Normally when the computer does not POST, the computer turns off instantly when I press the power switch, but that is not the case... so I'm thinking it's POSTing but I can't see it.

Only Mouse/KB/Monitor are plugged in, tried single sticks of RAM. Other people have said that this brand of RAM works with the mobo. Usually if RAM does not work, I'd get error beep codes, and if n25philly is right, I should hear it without a speaker (I don't know if the motherboard has one. I hope it does).

PSU works, since I just bought it and used it before replacing the motherboard/CPU (I think the old mobo had bad caps, because it would randomly crash and not boot even after replacing the HD and HD Controller).

I've RMAed it already and will probably ship it back tomorrow, but I just wanted to know if there's anything else I could do for now to get it work. The only thing I will try is to unplug the optical drive but that seems about it.

I'm wary about buying a PSU tester because I would only use it once and that's $19 down the drain. The 4-pin molex might be defective, but I would know that after I RMA the board.

Thanks guys!

Did you plug in the power for the CPU? It's required now.

ASUS-M4A785TD-V-EVO1.jpg

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Are all the drivers loaded?

Is your video connected to the on board video or some separate video card you have not installed yet?

I mean I'm assuming you got all the drivers loaded and going, but if not that is the first place I would check into.[/QUOTE]

yes maybe that would work.

Swinging for the fences here, but make sure your monitor is plugged in. I made that mistake during my first PC build. So frustrating for such a simple thing.

[quote name='kainzero']@Actionhank: When I boot my other computer, the mouse powers on, although it doesn't work. Even so, if it is running Ubuntu LiveCD, the mouse should eventually power on.

Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Power Supply: Corsair 400W (The Mobo recommends 300W and there isn't anything plugged in besides RAM, a DVD drive, and a SATA HD).

@everyone else: I'm using the onboard video. I can't install drivers if I can't see anything on the screen. I've tested the onboard video with both DVI and VGA, although I have yet to try HDMI.

Considering buying a PC Speaker so I can hear if there are any beep codes, but I don't know where to buy those B&M since I don't want to wait for online deliveries.[/QUOTE]

Ubuntu Live CD won't run automatically after post without any keyboard input.

I am afraid that the integrated video chip is dead, or your BIOS is corrupted. I would try ASUS tech support first, maybe we're just missing something minor. If that fails, call the retailer and RMA the motherboard.

And write a scathing review.

@SOSTrooper: Yep. That is actually the only part I'm worried about, since I can reasonably confirm that all the other powersupply extensions worked, so if it's not the motherboard it may be that.

@Chuplayer: Of course it's plugged in.

@Actionhank: I'll just RMA it. If it comes back and doesn't work though, then I'm in trouble =(

Well if you plugged it in, then it's likely the motherboard is faulty. I'm assuming you did already re-seat everything so you did the right thing by RMA'ing it. Cross your fingers now.

Popped in the new mobo but same problem.

I think it's the CPU though, I see bent pins. Hopefully if I RMA that then everything will be fine. Hopefully. =)

bread's done
Back