Need a new TV (~$1000)

W.arner1281

CAGiversary!
Feedback
179 (100%)
I'm looking to buy a new TV that will be used mostly for movie viewing and game playing (PS2). There will be regular cable TV watching on it, but not much. I'm not too sure what to look for or where to start. I tried going to www.avsforum.com, but that was too much info for me to even start to comprehend. All I know is that I would like the following

must have
a decent sized TV (at least 30")
a crisp picture

would also like
LCD widescreen
priced around $800-1200

But since I'm not too sure about the TV technology nowdays, I'm kind of lost. I'm pretty sure I don't need/want HDTV stuff (although if playing games/watching DVD's needs it, thats another story). My DVD player is not progressive (if that matters). I do have a home theater set up so speakers and such are not an issue. So please... lead me to the information I seek. But do it slow... if I get overwhelmed I'll say screw it and go back to my 27" CRT.

The Best-Buy deal with the free recorder or free 20" TV right now is quite a steal. But if you want options....

For $850 you can get a much better TV, only 26" Widescreen, in the HP LC series. J&R has it online for $850...comes with a HD Tuner, and the best part it is uses SHARP components. Sharp is the #1 producer of LCD panels.

Its got a 4000:1 contrast ratio, which is better than most non-crt sets when left in Dynamic mode.

The westinghouse is a good TV at a good price with some free goodies. Its downside is that its got a so-so contrast ratio.

The HP is a superior (far, actually) LCD TV....its a bit less expensive, but not by much...and its only 26". But it does have a MUCH better picture, and it comes with a built-in HD tuner. Just hook up an antenna nad you can pull in any HD stations in your area.

IF you must have 32" HP makes a 32" version but its pricer at $1500 or so....and that puts you into the 37" range for other makers.

Get a bigger TV with a weaker picture for the same money as you'd get a smaller TV with a better picture.

FYI: I bought the Westinghouse 27" a week ago at BB when it was on sale. I returned it 2 days ago because I couldn't deal with its fairly lousy contrast ratio. I was using it primarily as a PC monitor.......but in movies with dark scenes that I watched, like the HD trailer for Brothers Grimm or Batman Begins, the low contrast ratio kinda reared its ugly head more than once.

For $499 after $200 MIR from Compusa you can get the Olevia 26" LCD HDTV. Im typing on it as we speak. I think the sale ends today though. Its a great monitor, the panel itself is made by LG I beleive. Its on the front page of slickdeals.

I would think about getting a tv with an HDMI input. you can get hdtv over compenent but its what the blu-ray and hd-dvd players will use if im not mistaken. i read that some where, might be worth looking into.

--Shadd

bread's done
Back