Need a PS3 before MGS4 comes out...best COA?

S1lentTwo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Being a huge MGS fan, I really don't want to miss the game when it comes out. I wouldn't be buying the system just for that game, but it would definitely be the biggest reason. However, I'm also a college student and pretty strapped for cash. So I'm really hoping to find a way to get the PS3 as cheaply as possible sometime between now and when the game comes out. The 40 GB version will be fine as backwards compatibility will not be an issue as long as I don't trade in/sell my PS2.

From what I can tell, there aren't many deals on PS3s out there right now other than the $100 off with the sony card. Is there likely to be a better deal that comes along before MGS4 comes out? Any chance that the price of the PS3 drops again before its out? Probably not, I'm sure, but I had to ask.

Any general tips you can give me that would help me build up some cash between now and then? Should I look into flipping games for profit?

Thank you for your time.

There probably won't be any great deals on it until next Christmas. You could always sell the free blu-ray movies you get with it and probably make like $75 that way. I'm not sure when MGS4 is coming out but if you could try to work and extra 2-3 hours a week and save like $20 a week you would probably have more than enough by the time it came out. Flipping games really isn't worth the amount of time spent on it.

If it hits late in the year, I would hold out for another price drop.

This is based on the following model of price drops for consoles that are not in the lead.

Gamecube:
Xbox:
As you can see, just under a year before the first drop for both, and also the PS3. For xbox, 2nd drop came at just about a year, Gamecube was just over a year.

Assuming that the PS3 follows in similar pattern, You might see a price drop late Q3, early Q4.

I think Sony is more interested in letting big exclusive titles pulling them out of the gutter than it would be in making another price drop...
Unless a comparable Blu-Ray player drops to 100 consistently I don't see it dropping any more than possibly 50 dollars at the most...
And seriously, that's less than the price of a game, so if you can catch a deal with a free game, that certainly might happen, it's just as good a deal...
-Goatman

Honestly, its not even up to Sony to decide. Its all about the market.

Some of this depends on what the 360 does, and HOW it does during the first half of the year.

Thats a lot to put on the back of those AAA exclusive games. Being that no one has actually made a comeback this far out, I think Sony is going to need all the help they can get.

[quote name='S1lentTwo']Being a huge MGS fan, I really don't want to miss the game when it comes out. I wouldn't be buying the system just for that game, but it would definitely be the biggest reason. However, I'm also a college student and pretty strapped for cash. So I'm really hoping to find a way to get the PS3 as cheaply as possible sometime between now and when the game comes out. The 40 GB version will be fine as backwards compatibility will not be an issue as long as I don't trade in/sell my PS2.

From what I can tell, there aren't many deals on PS3s out there right now other than the $100 off with the sony card. Is there likely to be a better deal that comes along before MGS4 comes out? Any chance that the price of the PS3 drops again before its out? Probably not, I'm sure, but I had to ask.

Any general tips you can give me that would help me build up some cash between now and then? Should I look into flipping games for profit?

Thank you for your time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this thread! I hope it lives for a while. I am in the same boat as you.... except for the part about college. If I was still in college I would definately be waiting until Christmas for a PS3. Anyway; I can't wait for MGS4!!!

The cheapest I've seen the PS3 going for is $300. There have been three cases:

1. Bestbuy's 25% off "3 Toys" coupon. Not really meant for consoles, but some got lucky.
2. Manager's special at Bestbuy. $100 off the 40GB, the manager of one BB in VA thought a price cut was coming and he jumped the gun. A lucky few across the country got their local BB to price match.
3. TRU clearancing out the 20GB model.

As case 1 & 2 are both dead now, option 3 may avail you a cheap PS3; assuming there is a TRU near you with one still up for sale. Unlikely, but may be worth your time to call around.

Well MGS4 is set for June right now, but will prolly be pushed back closer to Xmas. So I would wait and see what happens. Maybe something neat will happen during the CES in February and if you wait your PS3 may be bundled with a Dualshock 3 controller.

Edit: Whoops the 2008 CES is going on now, not in February.

I agree with everyone else. I say wait til Christmas since there is a lot of doubt surrounding a release in June. There are always plenty of console deals during Christmas, whether it is free games or consoles for less.

[quote name='Tom Ato']Well MGS4 is set for June right now, but will prolly be pushed back closer to Xmas. So I would wait and see what happens. Maybe something neat will happen during the CES in February and if you wait your PS3 may be bundled with a Dualshock 3 controller.[/quote]
You mean GDC?

I just got out of the Marines and on every military base there is an Exchange(its like a generic sears/grocery store). They have a credit card called a Star Card and if you get one, you save ten percent off your first days purchases. The other thing about this is that you don't pay taxes on military bases, so using these two things together I saved about 18% on my PS3. I got mine right before the price drop so I did kind of get screwed but I still saved over a hundred dollars. This is a good idea for getting other big purchase electronics as well. I believe that the commissaries are open to active duty, reserve, and retired citizens. I know this is kind of a narrow option, but it's the cheapest way I can think of. Marine bases are on the coasts(mine was in San Diego) and I think Army Bases are more evenly distributed. Not too sure about Air Force bases though. Good Luck

Yeah, I have my copy pre-ordered with free overnight shipping, and I got a feeling we will see another delay. Well worth it, in my opinion, but still. Anyway, I'd sit and wait, unlesl you can get lucky and find one of those $300 20GB models at a TRU. You never know.

Hey man if you really want a ps3 at a deal why not wait until MGS4 comes out and get one. Chances are if Sony is smart they will put together a package of ps3 and mgs4 bundled together. I mean after all there have been rumors of smash bros brawl getting bundled with a black wii and thats over in japan. I dont see why that deal wouldn't go into affect here especially if it means they can maximize their profits by selling more systems. Also I recommend even if you find a deal on a ps3 consider taking advantage of Toys R Us buy 2 get on free deal. At least then you can get two more games to go with MGS4 if u can wait that long, but I'd say its no rush to get it as soon as it gets out especially if u dont already own the system.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. I guess I will go ahead and wait on it. The 20 GB version from TRU sounds enticing, but would the smaller HD space be an issue? Also, wifi support would be nice to have. So I don't know if that will be the best fit for me. But then again I'll take what I can get if it saves me alot of money, haha.

Is there really speculation that MGS4 may be delayed again? I hadn't heard that. I forgot to mention that I work part time at Wal Mart so I have a 10% off card there. Perhaps I should bide my time and see if I can get a good deal at Wal Mart during the holidays next year. But if MGS4 does come out in the summer I'm going to have a hard time waiting until later that year..

[quote name='S1lentTwo']Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. I guess I will go ahead and wait on it. The 20 GB version from TRU sounds enticing, but would the smaller HD space be an issue? Also, wifi support would be nice to have. So I don't know if that will be the best fit for me. But then again I'll take what I can get if it saves me alot of money, haha.

Is there really speculation that MGS4 may be delayed again? I hadn't heard that. I forgot to mention that I work part time at Wal Mart so I have a 10% off card there. Perhaps I should bide my time and see if I can get a good deal at Wal Mart during the holidays next year. But if MGS4 does come out in the summer I'm going to have a hard time waiting until later that year..[/quote]
Hard drive capacity won't be too much of an issue, as you can swap out a PS3's HD with any laptop drive. It doesn't void your warranty, and Sony even provides instructions on how to do it.

As for a possible MGS4 delay; there's nothing concrete so far. One big argument regarding this issue is the framerate. As of now, MGS4 runs at 60fps during cutscenes and drops to 30fps during gameplay. Ironing this out may or may not cause a delay.

^ Ah, didn't know that about the laptop drives. That's cool.

I've heard about the framerate issues. I read somewhere that they should be announcing a final release date in late February, so I guess we'll see.

The game is finished, they are just fixing any bugs. It is coming this fall of 2008.

If you want a deal there's a $40 off 200 coupon from Circuit city. Good luck YMMV!

Bestbuy always have 10-12% off coupons every month too for being reward member. Free to join online.

Also order online from amazon, and save money by not paying sales tax.

Honestly dude, if all you want a PS3 for is MGS4 then just wait for the game to come out to buy your system. It's not worth it just sitting there collecting dust just because some store convinced you of a "deal." I bet a lot of retail chains know this game is going to sell PS3's and they'll probably drop the price just to get those final holdouts from straddling the fence.

There might even be some sweet bundle deal... especially with the new rumble controllers that are coming out.

Yeah I have decided to wait and see when the game is coming out. I'm not going to get the system now unless I come across an amazing deal. As for selling plasma, funnily enough I actually would like to do that but my gf won't let me...:(

Why wait ps3 is not going on sale since hd-dvd died.

Lots of good exclusive games coming this summer.

I personally am getting one now, I need a blu-ray player now with MGS4 action, plus it can stream audio, and xvids from your computer.

That's sweet!

I was all set to get one around the time I thought MGS was coming out. I was expecting April. But it got pushed back so I am going to buy an iphone for my one splurge this quarter. I can't wait!

[quote name='Sideswiper']That sony card deal for the $299 40gb is looking really good. I might have to bite soon. Of course, I gotta add the cost of a HDMI cable, a controller recharge station, the rumble controllers (are they even out yet?)...

Here's a link for anyone that had to hunt for it like I did.
http://www.gamegrep.com/news/6319-299_playstation_3_with_sony_card/#[/quote]
Buy your HDMI cable from monoprice.com. They cost about $5 there, and my monoprice cable works just as well as my dad's $100 Monster cable. As for the recharge station, the PS3 comes with a usb charge cable that you can plug into any USB port; like the one in your computer, cable box, etc.

[quote name='S1lentTwo']Is there any catch to the sony card deal? I wonder how long they'll keep that going...[/quote]
Only catch I can figure is high APR in the future and the potential to ruin your credit rating. If you go for it, do your research thoroughly (read all fine print) and be certain of what you're getting into. If you do that, you should be okay, I guess...

EDIT: I just looked through their pricing & terms section. I don't claim expertise in the area of credit cards, but those APRs look pretty high to me.

mgs is slated for a june release but the companies are notorius for not releasing games in the summer sep at the earliest would be my guess for mgs 4

[quote name='zephie']Buy your HDMI cable from monoprice.com. [/quote]

Great, I'll order it before I even get a PS3. Um... will any HDMI to HDMI cable work? I didn't see any $5 ones.

[quote name='zephie']those APRs look pretty high to me.[/quote]

Meh. Pay off your credit cards, boys and girls, and your APR doesn't matter. 12 months free financing on large purchases isn't bad if you are into spending money you don't have, but I shy away from that sort of thing.

[quote name='Sideswiper']Great, I'll order it before I even get a PS3. Um... will any HDMI to HDMI cable work? I didn't see any $5 ones.[/quote]
Here's the one I got: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

$5.24 + shipping. It got to me within 12 hours of my ordering it. And yes, any male to male HDMI cable will work. Just make sure it's long enough for your setup.

Meh. Pay off your credit cards, boys and girls, and your APR doesn't matter. 12 months free financing on large purchases isn't bad if you are into spending money you don't have, but I shy away from that sort of thing.
Thanks for schooling those of us uninformed.

bread's done
Back